squealing sound

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gregan

Reaction score
I know I asked this question some time ago but I have a squealing sound in my 75 merc 2 stroke. It happens after running for awhile. sounds like a car belt squealing. I had the mechanics check it out but sound never occurs when they take it out (go figure). I take the Nitro up to Canada for two weeks and sound usually starts the second week. Someone directed me to website that explains the sound but I lost the site. Sound comes and goes. thouhgt it might be a bearing

Wish I could help, but for the life of me I can't imagine what would squeal on an outboard. And I have run into just about every issue you can with outboards....never had that one happen. Somebody here will have some input for ya, just be patient until everyone gets a chance to check in.

It is probably the drive shaft up by the powerhead...there is a seal at the bottom of the engine where the drive shaft passes through the engine cover. That seal can dry out and it squeals. On mine I only hear it when at low rpm's or in neutral and it changes pitch with the rpm's just like a car belt. I have to spray that seal with teflon lube once a season to keep it quiet. Hope that is all it is.

coreycarrico..thanks for the suggestion. Had the shop lube the drive shaft ..see if that stops it. don't think its a bearing because it has not gotten any worse. only intermittent.

Latest posts

Back