1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1999 Merc 115 ELPTO 2+2 knocking!

Thread in 'Motors & Props' started by Jeff Sondak, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Jeff Sondak

Jeff Sondak Member

So any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Was out on the lake the other day, running across the channel at about 45mph with the engine at 4500-5000 rpms. All of a sudden the engine just dies! Thought I might have hit the safety lanyard and pulled the kill switch?! Started back up right away. Went further on the lake doing same speed and it again just dies! I have had this thing at 5200RPMs at 50+ with no issues in past.
    So I raised the engine checked prop, etc. Nothing seemed out of ordinary...I start I up again with no issues and same thing happens, not I start to worry get it to nearest marine, idling slow...we take off the cover and the oil res is fairly low. So I buy a quart of 2 stroke oil and drive it out of the marina, and notice the engine has a Knock to it, sounds like lifters in old cars...
    I went back to Marina but it was Monday and they had no service techs...called later, and they are saying could be blown power head, crankshaft, cylinders, etc... $$$ is all I hear.
    Any thoughts on what I could be or a way to diagnose? I changed the plugs, changed the oil and it still sounds like knocking coming from center to lower unit...
    Before bringing it to a shop figured I would ask.
    Thanks for the help!

Jeff

2. Jeff Sondak

Jeff Sondak Member

3. Scott Hammer  TOXIC

Scott Hammer TOXIC Well-Known Member

Compression check each tube. You will have your answer.

4. Jeff Sondak

Jeff Sondak Member

So we did a compression test, got 137/137/135/135 top to bottom cylinders. Pulled lower unit to check...don't seem to be any issues there as well...

5. AirForce

AirForce Well-Known Member

6. Jeff Sondak

Jeff Sondak Member

We did warm it up...took off and inspected lower unit and still nothing out of ordinary. I do know its a 2+2 and yeh its weird but the other 2 cylinders kick on around the 1900 or so RPM's...so still not sure what could be causing this. Afraid of the power head teardown.