1999 Merc 115 ELPTO 2+2 knocking!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Sondak

Reaction score
So any help would be greatly appreciated!
Was out on the lake the other day, running across the channel at about 45mph with the engine at 4500-5000 rpms. All of a sudden the engine just dies! Thought I might have hit the safety lanyard and pulled the kill switch?! Started back up right away. Went further on the lake doing same speed and it again just dies! I have had this thing at 5200RPMs at 50+ with no issues in past.
So I raised the engine checked prop, etc. Nothing seemed out of ordinary...I start I up again with no issues and same thing happens, not I start to worry get it to nearest marine, idling slow...we take off the cover and the oil res is fairly low. So I buy a quart of 2 stroke oil and drive it out of the marina, and notice the engine has a Knock to it, sounds like lifters in old cars...
I went back to Marina but it was Monday and they had no service techs...called later, and they are saying could be blown power head, crankshaft, cylinders, etc... $$$ is all I hear.
Any thoughts on what I could be or a way to diagnose? I changed the plugs, changed the oil and it still sounds like knocking coming from center to lower unit...
Before bringing it to a shop figured I would ask.
Thanks for the help!

Jeff

So we did a compression test, got 137/137/135/135 top to bottom cylinders. Pulled lower unit to check...don't seem to be any issues there as well...

We did warm it up...took off and inspected lower unit and still nothing out of ordinary. I do know its a 2+2 and yeh its weird but the other 2 cylinders kick on around the 1900 or so RPM's...so still not sure what could be causing this. Afraid of the power head teardown.

Latest posts

Back