Sonar on Bow not reading past 22FT

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Riley

Reaction score
I have a Lowrance x96 Fish Finder on the bow with the transducer attached to the trolling motor. The unit works fine until approx. 22.4 FT. of water at which time I loose sonar with the bottom. The unit flashes 22.4 FT. I have reset the unit, turned off Auto depth mode, as well as changing the lower limits. The engine in off, with no other electronics turned on. I do have a 334 Lowrance on the dash with Stop Chart enabled so I don't get cross-over between the two units pinging the bottom

Has anyone else ever seen this problem. I am thinking the transducer needs to be replaced.

Thanks - Dan

yea, ive run into this problem before and its been the transducer.

Dan, Do you have the transducer hooked up on the 334 even though you are not using it? If I want good readings on my 1440LCF and my 480LMS on the bow, I have to leave my LMS520 transducer unhooked. The transducers for the 1440 and the 520 are mounted side by side and I think thats the problem. I like the depth readings on the 1440 and use the 520 for gps most of the time. So it's not a problem for me. Other prefer all there readings on one screen but with my eyes I prefer the big bold letters on the 1440.

BF

Stop chart will do the same as disconnecting the transducer.

It does sound like a transducer problem to me.

Mini

Thanks everyone...Looks like I'll just order a new transducer from LEI...

Dan

Just stay in water less than 22.3 feet deep. :lol::p

Ok... I agree - buy a new transducer.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Is it still under the one year warranty???

All the best,

Glenn

It's funny most of the time I am doing shallow river or lake fishing so I never see a problem. This past weekend I started exploring deeper structure now that the water temp. have risen and to my surprise the best I could do with the x96 was 22 FT. :angry:

The unit is 2-years old so it's not covered.... Now's the hard decision, do I spend the $50 on a new transducer or go for a new color unit.... Hmmm....

The new humminbird 9 Series with side imaging looks very nice. The only problem is, I have the 334C W/GPS on the helm and I wouldn't be able to network them....

Anyone have sugestions?

Thanks

Dan

UPGRADE TO A LOWRANCE COLOR UNIT.

That would be the LCG-3000 Bus Sytem for people that do installations...lol

Mini

I just put a 525C DF on the bow, and a LCX38HD at the console and I didn't intergrate them with the system, should I?

Buzz

Mac you have mail.

I just put a 525C DF on the bow, and a LCX38HD at the console and I didn't intergrate them with the system, should I?

Buzz

Mac you have mail.

"That would be the LCG-3000 Bus Sytem for people that do installations...lol"

.....hmmm.... actually, it's a NMEA 2000 network called LowranceNET. :lol:

The LGC-3000 is just the new upgraded 12 parallel channel GPS antenna - WAAS capable with the ability to turn WAAS off.

Buzz - putting both on a LowranceNET network is a matter of personal preference. If your 525C and LCX38 each came with their own LGC-3000 antenna, and they are already installed, then I'd leave it as it. The LowranceNET comes in handy when you want to run two units off of one GPS antenna, one temp sensor, one fuel flow sensor (cool feature you can add), etc... Basically, it saves you money if you plan on outfitting your boat with several optional sensors. If you are just running a GPS antenna, transducer, and temp sensor off of each unit, and they are already installed - leave it as it is. If you decide later you want to add some sensors, etc... to your system, then might be the time to change over to a network.

BTW.... why the DF unit? Are you running a saltwater rig, or fish really deep freshwater?

All the best,

Glenn

I bought the DF because of the hard time getting hold of Lowrance products, and they had this model in stock verus the 520C that I wanted and I don't use the sonar anyway as I use a Vexlar fishfinder. I wanted the Lowrance for the GPS and when I'm ready to upgrade the boat I will keep the Vexlar and then let the Lowrance go with the boat along with the sonar transducers.

Buzz

Latest posts

Back