Should I fish or not?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I had decided not to push to get into the Everstart after prefishing it. However, this past weekend, prefishing the NBS with Buzz made me reconsider. I know I am on the quality fish that could easily put me in the top 10 and at least get my money back plus some. However, I would have to run near 70 miles each way each day to do it. Buzz has again graciously offered to let me use his boat, and I'm afraid, I'd have to in order to make that run. It would take min of 70 minutes each way on calm water, and the chances of 4 days straight with no south wind are slim and none. My entry fee is already paid in full, but I would spend at least $500 in gas in the 4 days I'm sure of it. I would also have my boat there as backup, (just in case). For those that serious tourney fish, would you fish it? I am averaging 15-17 lbs a day when I try. Given the FLW ranks, that would have won $210k last month. Goofing around on Sunday with Buzz got me at least 14 lbs.

Rob,

it's a gamble...running that far is a big decision especially if it's the only area you have.....pretty far to go find out the fish are off!

Pierre

If your question is with regard to the overall cost of the tourney, then from a financial prospective your scenario reminds me of some valuable advice my dearly departed father once gave me and to this day I follow it. "Never gamble with money that you can not afford to loose."

However, if money is not a concern then go for it!

Cass :)

Another possibility would be to do some more prefishing (Like you need an excuse!) and find a similar - or better - spot much nearer to the start.....

I for one would not pay $500 in gas nor would I risk running like that in someone elses boat....Mother nature is too unpredictable....what if you had south wind on 2 or 3 days?...If you can't find local fish, don't enter. It's not worth your out of pocket expense plus beating on Buzz's boat. I know the Pro's do it, but they are not paying for anything.

Practice down there a few more times. If you really want to go Pro some day you can't rely on your northern spots. This is the perfect opportunity for you to kick some butt on someone elses water. What if the Everstart wasn't on Champlain at all? Then what would you do?

Rob, go for it! The fee is already paid and though it may cost you ~ $500 for the 4 days, it'll be an experience you'll never forget!!!

Not familiar with the lake or the area, but here is my two cents, for what it's worth.

I ask this all the time in my club. How many fish are you 'driving' by when you go 70 miles to fish for the ones that you know are there - and hope are biting?

Secondly, no matter how much you convince yourself otherwise, your outlook will change dramatically the way you fish when you are entered into any type of serious money tournament. It's kind of the 'when money is on the line - old Joe just disappears'.

And lastly, if you are committed to this direction (fishing tournaments for a living), then at some point in time you are either going to have to 'cut bait - or fish'.

Years ago, the wife and I were struggling mightly. Business ventures had failed, we were experiencing severe financial problems, health problems were coming on. I was in business for myself, but not making a living. I knew that I wanted to do more programming in a certain language, and that the possibility of more work was there. I went out and spent $600.00 in cold/hard cash to purchase a development language and learn it. The wife almost killed me. The rest is history, so to speak. That decision became the springboard to later and future success, and has directly helped me to where I am now.

Stepping down from my soapbox!

Best of luck in your decision making.

Being on fish probably makes you more solid than most of the field. That is a plus.

I always considered how long it would take to get a limit and then start culling for bigger fish. If I could limit quick enough then I would gamble on running. If it was a slow bite, then I figured I could get a slow bite closer to the launch site. That saved fuel but mostly time.

Another factor is who you're paired with. Some guys think they are on a good bite that is closer and will raise h*ll about running that far.

Tough decision but if I already paid then I would have to play.

Good Luck

Bear

If I've paid, I got to play. I had a buddy who fish a major tournament on Lake Sam Rayburn in Texas last year. The offical site was on the south end and his fish were in a far north creek of course. Running time 1 hr 20 minutes. His gas expense was very heavy. He sold shares of his potential winning to his friends to cover his gas expenses and he finished in the money. I gave his $100.00 toward his expense and my return was $300.00. I know its a gamble but was kinda fun for everyone and he sure had a lot of people pulling for him. He told them upfront no guarantees...just like a lottery ticket. Just a thought. Good Luck and tight lines! Wilder

Bear,

It would take me 20 minutes max to pull a good 12 lb limit at the first stop. Fish on this spot bite regardless. It is a GREAT spot, and I have 2 like this. But the weather IS my biggest concern. More the run than the bite. As far as who I draw, well, it would be my call, as the co-angler has little or nothing to say about it. They only have $150-$200 invested, no boat, no gas, etc.

Marke, I hear ya on the borrowed boat thing. That's my biggest concern. I can catch fish just fine on new water. I have proven that in Ti before, and Lake George, and St. Lawrence, Lake Flower, etc. I'll prove it a Winnie for you, but the problem with Ti now is all the dead fish. Plus there is a LOT less water down there to stretch 165 boats across. If I don't draw a good number, I will be forces to run anyhow or fish 3rd, 4th, or 5th hand water. I can do that up north, but not on the end that looks more like a river. 5 great anglers ahead of you are bound to pull the better fish. It's a lot to chew on. I wasn't really ready for this step this year anyhow. It's in the big man's hands, if I get accepted then I know it's time. Thanks a bunch for the input guys!

Rob,

Confidence is everything. If you are that sure that the bite will be there, and the spots you have are that consistent....then I say go for it. For one thing, the odds are that with 150 or so boats in the tourney, none of them will go that far, therefore there won't be much pressure on your spots. Thats the biggest problem for me in tournament fishing. I prefish the day before and catch a nice limit, but the next day there are 5 boats on my spots. A consistent bite, little fishing pressure and confidence equals success! Go for it!!

Ed

He's giving you the boat so that you can fish it...and fish it your way...Rob, I know you just well enough to know that you wouldn't do it if it wasn't the "right" thing to do...Put your plan together and go for it... I've learned that second guessing is not the same as carefgul planning...you know the difference...And, when you win (and you will win some and lose some) you'll feel good about it...too careful and you don't ever win any

Rob,

I'm with Wilder. If you think that you need some 'one time sponsors' to help cover expenses, please consider us. I for one would be interested.

Rob - You asked for T fisherman, not us novice hacks, but figure i'd chime in (you'd be surprised, I know, if I didn't).

1. Entry fee paid, how do you pass that up?

2. Your estimate of $500 for gas over 4 days. That is an estimate and assume's you'll be running that 70 miles EVERY day. What if Day 1 you do the milk run and ZERO out? I know you don't want to think about it, but then your day 2-4 plan may change and cost you less or worse case $500.

3. Borrowed boat - That's a personal call. If Buzz is willing to let you take that run, and both of you have insurance AND you are a decent human being (no questions their!!) IF something happened to his boat, I know you'd make it right! Hell, Neeeley might just fix it for free or cost!

4. Think of the $500 in gas as a sunk cost to SEE if you have what it takes to make it. With what you've spent on your boat in the last year, what's another $500 over your lifetime.

5. How truly confident and flexible are you in a pressure situation? If your milk run day 1 is dry, will it ruin you or do you have the cahone's to switch gears and try a different spot/tactic.

Last but not least I agree 100% with CC - If that $500 means if you loose (i.e. don't make any money) that your family doesn't eat for a month or you can't pay a bill or have to incur credit card interest/dept, then it's not worth the risk.

I would LOVE to be in your position, but we'll all respect you and still give you a hard time no matter what you do - That's what freinds are for!

Well, thanks for all the support guys. I will pray about it tonight with my wife. Again, it is totally up to Buzz also, and I will add an easy 20 minutes each way making the run in my boat. Top end is 55-56 mph WOT. This is one of those tough decisions that make you or break you. I have the confidence, let's just see how it pans out. I do get a wicked mind set/game face in a tourney. It's my nature. Hell, Mac ahd to TELL me to smile at the rally weigh-in, cause my head was already onto boat repairs and the next day. Trep, my only comment on my cahones.........their made of brass, and the size of church bells. When it comes to fishing, it's all or nothing with me. Ain't that right Marke or Jamey. Riding with me on the way to the milk run is like a clip from "8 Seconds"! BPR ain't got nothing on Champlain in the chop.

It's 2am Thursday morning and Rob wakes up to take a leak. As he's standing at the toilet he hears in an omminous voice:

Voice - "Rob"

Rob - "huh, uh,, yea??"

Voice - "Rob, do it! Do it! Take Buzz up on his offer and GO!"

Rob - "you sure?"

Voice - "YOU questioning ME???" Thunder, lightning...

Rob - "OK, I'll do it!"

Rob -"uh, can I ask you a question?"

Voice - "Always Rob"

Rob - "what happens if I don't make the money back?"

Voice - "Then Trep and Scott are gonna start their WWF Tag-Team career out on YOU before they get to John F. in California!"

Rob - May the water be glass smooth, every other boat stall and may the fishies JUMP into your Livewell!!!

Rob, if I may. I have been a trout fisherman for 30+ years and am new to this game of Bass fishing, but I can recongnize a fisherman when I see one. I have fished with Mike LeBlanc, who came in 19th at the Pro tourney on the Lake with 178 boaters as a pro and I have never seen someone who can catch Bass like you can. You get a gameface on and you are just unbelievable. You know that my boat offer is there today and any day that you need it.. It wouldn't matter if I owned a brand new 911CDX, my gut has always been my barometer in reading people, and it reads you as someone I'm glad that I'm getting to know and can trust... So get on your gameface and go for it buddy...

Buzz

Rob, my man! You got to do this! You have all the confidence, the support(entry fee paid, and an offer to use a boat) not to mention us here on the board. You know as well as all of us here that have done it on any level, "when you are on you are on"If yo have to run 70 miles to get to your fish, then run seventy miles to do it. You never know, you might have run that far to avoid the guys that won't!! As far as the borrowing of a boat, been there, fretted about it, and done that! It all worked out just fine as I am sure it will for you.

This is how all the other big names started out. They all took a chance and eventually it all paid off. So I say if you have that much confidence in yourself and your fish ,than why are we even havig this discussion, go out there and kick some BASS!!

Rob easy for me too say because I'm not in your situation but I'd have to say go for. Like others have said your the man and you have the support of the board. I wish you the best of luck. Also curious why is there a fish kill in Tie?

Buzz, you are Very Good People!

Someday, I hope I'll get a chance to shake your hand and tell you that in person!

me!

It's the boat that's causing the problem. I know I would have 2nd thoughts about usings someone elses boat. But if the insurance covers all then thats a strong factor.

The real factor is second guessing. Rob you will spend the rest of your life wondering if you would have won. That will kill you. You must take the chance to be successful.

The worst that can happen is not taking the chance. I would rather fail than question it for the rest of my life. You want to be a pro so act like one and take the risk. It's what seperates the wannabe's from the pro's. I'm Just a club T fisherman but I'm dealing with real life and tough job decissions. Sure I've made miststakes and failed before but I'm glad I took the risk. You will learn either way. But as a famous stock market investor Jessie Livermore said, You'll never know if your righth unless youyput your own money on the line.

You need to know, Don't you?

He needs our help. Everyone envision Rob doing Well in the tournement. He needs some White Lightning as I call it.

Tell us the dates and we will direct positive thoughts towards you. If we all help Rob will be Just fine

OK, I will confer with Buzz, and be at the pre-tourney registration, awaiting a cancellation. Given the friends I have there, I should stand a 75% chance of getting in. My biggest fear is NOT fishing and staying home to sack 20lbs goofing off. Now for a word to Buzz, I have never met a guy like this before. The guy knows me less than a month, and we only fish together a handful of times, and he offers his boat. There aren't many selfless, giving people like that in the world. Buzz, I'm proud to have you as a friend, and am looking forward to stomping the competition with you in the upcoming partners tourneys. Anytime you need a partner and fish, you know who to call, I'll be ready. And thanks for the comments on my fishing ability. The last couple years I have been double guessing myself. I gave up a tip that won a top 150 tourney, and this last FLW, I would have easily placed in the top 10 if not won it. No joke guys, the reporters tallied my weight each day for kicks, and I only fished behind people and for 3/4 of each day, so had the game face been on.....well. I guess it's time to stretch my wings. My whole family has faith in me, all of my colleagues at work, (boss gave me extra time off to fish it, after seeing the FLW weigh-in) and all of you. It's hard to doubt yourself with support like this. Never in a hundred years would I have thought back in March, in the midst of the fever, that I would have a year like this. Host the 2nd annual kick butt Nitro/Tracker rally, and do well in it, guide Forrest Wood, possibly Brad Paisely, and fish my first pro tourney. What a year, and it's only half way done. Thanks again guys. Dates are July 24-27th. And I potentially guide Paisely (the fishing song artist) on the 28th. Prayer are GREATLY appreciated.

Great, stop with that negitive stuff and try to picture in your mind doing well. I want you to spend the rest of your time seeing yourself doing well at the T. Picture it and make it happen

FYI the plaque I have over my desk reads:

"The Courage of Integrity"

The highest courage is to dare to be yourself in the face of adversity. Choosing right over wrong, ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity.....these are the choices that measure our life. Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing!

The words I live by!

Fits with my life long philosophy...Semper Fidelis

Latest posts

Back