Scratch on hull

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Hicks

Reaction score
While waxing the hull on my 04 NX750 today, I noticed what appeared to be a crack on the transom that ran from the pad up to the bottom of the motor mount. A closer look found the crack ran all the way up to the top of the transom. The crack was perfectly centered in the middle of the transom between the motor mounting bolts.

Well, this being my first glass boat, to say I was rattled would be an understatement. I immediately hooked it to the dealership. When I got there, I showed it to the salesman which was obviously "concerned". all the mechanics were gone to lunch so we went out to the lot where the new boats were. Sure enough, we looked at 3 new '05 750s and all had the same "crack". Actually it is just a deep scratch in the gelcoat. (these were new boats fresh from the factory without motors installed)

Sorry this is so long but can anyone tell me what these "scratches" are for? The only guess I have is the factory puts them there to mark dead center of the hull??

Thanks, DH

I guess that is one explaination but that seems a bit extreme. I know some places line up the engine and hulls with lazer and some use a tape measure. If that is how the Nitros are sent out I guess the marks are harmless. There's lots of 'glass owners that can shed a better light on the subject. As for me, when I took delivery on my tin Tracker it had a long scratch that sort of looked like a nude woman laying on her side. I sent it right back to the dealer and told them to finish her.

Da Bear

Bear,

Is your "long scratch" an option I can have added to my Av aftermarket, or is this something I should have had Johnny put in at the factory? Hehe...

--Casey

Thanks for info. After seeing them on the new boats, I knew they were supposed to be there just didn't know why.

Thanks again, DH

I just went out to the garage and checked my 04' 640LX, it also has a line up the center of the transom. This line is actually raised from the surface. From the looks of it, I would say it is from the mold halves joining together. But it does make a good center line.

Back