Rick Clunn

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Elkins

Reaction score
Caught a small segment of Rick Clunn this weekend on fishing show talking to someone about how he can't fish like he used to. Just caught a very small part of the interview. Did anyone else see it in full and what was he saying? Sounded like he was saying he was thinking of quitting competitive fishing.

he said to make the classic he fishes a certian way. if he doesn't make it he can relaxe and fish differently. i believe he will still do the trail. stan

At the 2000 Classic he got very emotional after not winning. I think that while I can't understand fully what he is feeling, I am sure it is similar to a lot of what other atheletes feel toward the end of their careers. A Great Star, and he certainly is one, sometimes has difficulty on the backside of his career, adjusting to being outside the spotlight. Few Professional Fishermen will ever have a career even remotely similat to his, but personally, he may be having a hard time adjusting to not finishing at the top as a routine matter. Many of his contemporaries have moved on to other careers, TV, etc. Rick Clunn has not fit that TV personality profile (yet). I saw the very last of the interview. He spoke of wanting to fish "differently". I for one hope that he is given an opportunity to transition into a role that will allow him to share his vast knowledge with the peons like me and that will allow him to fish any way he wants to fish! He is a class act and true legend in hios own time.
http://www.nsbass.com

I think his beef is with the points system and how it works against his style of fishing. Rick fishes to win, damn the torpedoes, hero or zero....

From what I understand (which is usually quite little!), the current points system rewards those who just fill their limit. Exactly the opposite of how Rick fishes.

The point system rewards you for consistency. You must be consistant to get a spot in the Classic. "Normally" Rick Clunn is one of the most consistant anglers in the world. His record of 28 straight Classic appearances proves that.

He has had some bad tournaments this past year or so. For whatever reason(s), it happened. I think if he could resist dwelling on what has happened, and get back to what is CURRENTLY happening, he will be just fine. He can still be a threat this year to win a major event.

So what of he doesnt make the Classic this year, no one should be disappointed (except maybe Clunn himself).

I will still respect him more than any other angler in the competitive ranks for accomplishing what he has, over the amount of time that he has, AND is still a major threat in every event he enters.

Giving credit where it id definately due....

Mini

I have always been a big Clunn fan. Martin and Vandam and all the guys get so much spot light. But Clunn is the only one to have ever won FOUR classics and every other major event under the sun except maybe FLW. Who can claim that? He is very down to earth, and as Mini said, still a very real threat to anyone that underestimates him this year. Anglers have ups and downs, he is just in a slump, but when he pulls out, watch out!

Latest posts

Back