Horsepower recommendation for 1996 Nitro 170 Rick clunn edition

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jody Pope

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 1996 nitro 170 Rick clunn edition. 3rd trip on the water and the engine suddenly stopped. No warnings no noise no smoke just stopped. I have an appointment to have it checked by a mechanic recommended by a neighbor but I fear that the engine is seized up. I pulled the cowling and checked power to solenoids/etc. I can see the starter engage and try to turn the flywheel. I removed all the plugs and can’t turn the flywheel manually either.
The current engine is a tracker pro series 125 by mercury. Assuming the worst and it needs a new engine what are recommendations for horsepower? It’s my first bass boat and will only be used leisurely on the lake we live on. I don’t plan to fish tournaments and have no need to go really fast on the water. Would a 75hp engine be enough on this boat? 125 definitely feels like too much for the boat to me.

thanks for any advice

Jody, I was always told to not go under 75% of maximum recommended HP for a boat if you wanted to maintain good operation. I have always lives by that rile.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ll be sticking with 90hp or more if a new motor is needed. I’ve been looking and if it’s needed I’m going to move to an EFI four stroke from either Yamaha or Honda. Seeing some used ones with low hours for reasonable amounts and those seem to have positive reviews around reliability/longevity. If evinrude hadn’t gone out of business I’d probably go that route bc our deck boat evinrude has been really good.

still hoping the professional finds its something else but planning for the worst.

thanks again for the recommendations/advice

I would not hesitate to hang a 2016 or newer 90hp or 115hp Merc on the back. These motors are 2.1 liter engines. Those series of engines(75 thru 115hp) share the same displacement and bottom ends. My 2018 75 is a strong motor and easy on fuel, pushes my rig with a 15p prop,2grown men,gear and full of fuel 35mph GPS indicated WOT.

I ended up finding a 2006 mercury 90 EFI with 591 hours at a shop recommended by my local marina owner. Just made a ton of phone calls and asked for any suggestions. Two different local marina shop guys spoke highly of the shop I’m buying from and recommended them as a possible source. While nothing can be guaranteed, I feel better with this vs unknown from online.
Dropping the boat off tomorrow to get it installed while my wife and I go on a cruise. Should be done when we get back in 2 weeks.

thanks again for all the advice.

Cruise followed by COVID delayed me getting the boat back in the water. The motor is good but the prop from the old motor is too much pitch so it’s sluggish to get on a plane. The current prop is a quick silver stainless 26p.

thoughts on what pitch to go down to? I’m thinking either 23 or 21 but really hope to avoid trying more than one. Once on a plane the boat runs 40-45mph. It might do a little more but that’s plenty fast for my needs.

thanks in advance for any tips

Remember that at full throttle, your engine, turning the prop at speed, should be reaching the max RPM. If not you may be running too much pitch. (there are other reason that an engine might not reach its max RFP range) A prop pitch to steep, will damage your engine over time. I don't know that particular boat but 26 pitch seems a little steep to me.

Cruise followed by COVID delayed me getting the boat back in the water. The motor is good but the prop from the old motor is too much pitch so it’s sluggish to get on a plane. The current prop is a quick silver stainless 26p.

thoughts on what pitch to go down to? I’m thinking either 23 or 21 but really hope to avoid trying more than one. Once on a plane the boat runs 40-45mph. It might do a little more but that’s plenty fast for my needs.

thanks in advance for any tips
Hello,
Any updates on your boat?

Latest posts

Back