recessed TM wells

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
For those that have the recessed TM foot control wells, are they a must have once you have had one? I'm one of those guys with a bad back and that flamingo stuff is for the birds (pun intended). I know a few guys that have gone to hand control model, but I would prefer to use the foot control if possible. Thanks.

JPH

I think it helps. I have one on my 901 that I hve used for three years and I believe that if I ever swithched back it would feel uncomfortable. Chris F.

I may put one in this summer as well...my back can't take it anymore.

I will be installing a Pro-Tray this spring (once I get the nerve up to cut that HUGE hole in my deck!!!!)

Look them up on www.bassboatcentral.com. Mark Miller is his name....great guy, great company.

Mini: Once you get up the courage to cut that hole, please remember that "deck = top."

I have one in my 750. When my earlier TM control was in the well, I thought it was confining as I had to be near the well to run the TM. My new TM control doesn't fit in the stock well, but it doesn't matter as I move the control to a convenient location depending upon where I am on the deck [kick it around as needed]. My control is low profile. I don't feel any physical problems after a long day of fishing. As a former Army guy I have a high tolerance for pain I guess; I can't see a need for the well.

Original equipment on my 2000 929. Never been without it. One drawback for those that like to move the peddle around is that it will always be in the same position. I was starting to have some back issues since I am on the water a lot. Teddy told me it was because I was using the pole seat upfront. When you use that seat, you ALWAYS are in the same position when you need to power the TM. He told me to take it out and my back would get better. I was a big chicken and would take the front pole out but leave it in the boat so that if my confidence waivered I would have it. That was 5 years ago. I don't use it unless there is some really big stuff and I have to fish. St. Clair 2 or 3 years ago was an example....Mini on my big motor to hold us on a spot because the waves were so big my TM was not in the water much and me up front trying to fish. The pole seat was installed that day!! Procedure was....Steady self on console to make a run up front...dash for the front and grab the pole seat with both hands.....keep 1 arm wrapped around pole to get rod unbuckled...spread cheeks...insert pole seat....use every muscle in your abdomen to grip the seat while you fish.....get your tennis shoes sparkley clean from the bow of your boat going 2 feet under with every other wave.....catch big smallies and make it all worth while!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Thannks Marty! I might have messed that up....lol

Aren't "moving the peddle around" and "always be in the same position" mutually exclusive?

We posted at the same time:lol:......You have 2 factors at play....Where you are when you use the TM and where the TM peddle is when you use the TM. Fixing the peddle to the deck either by screws or a tray (and with your pole seat in), you will always be in the same position when you use the TM. Either you can move the peddle around the deck like you do or you can remove the pole seat (only option with a tray) so that you are not in the same position every time.

TOXIC

Tox, you know I dont use a seat unless the water gets rough....

And those shoes needed cleaning anyway!!!!

Pedal....peddle...lol

Mini - Don't do it!! Keep your pedal like it is and sign up for the next Capt. Morgan's commercial. Then you can get paid for keeping your leg hiked. LOLOLOLOL!!:D

Procedure was....Steady self on console to make a run up front...dash for the front and grab the pole seat with both hands.....keep 1 arm wrapped around pole to get rod unbuckled...spread cheeks...insert pole seat....use every muscle in your abdomen to grip the seat while you fish

Um tox, you wondered why your back hurt????? LOL

That's what I was wondering, do you have to learn to use the recessed pedal with both feet? I sure can't cast with my left arm, it would be scary to try to run the TM with my left foot! I like to move the control back and forth, depending on which side of the boat I'm fishing on. It would be hard as hell to fish the right side of the boat and trying to work the stationary control with my right foot, kinda like a monkey f**.......well, you know.....:lol: Guess I'll keep floppin' it back and forth. Sure wish someone would invent a telekinetic TM! Thanks for the opinions, keep on fishin'

JPH

Ok, so I didn't spell check:lol::lol: Pedal, Piddle are both the same when Mini's drivin in the big stuff!!:lol::lol: Yes I know you don't use the pole seat but do you in the rough stuff? That front deck can be like a springboard in the big stuff.....I know, I've been there:lol:!! And yes you do use both feet depending on where you are located on the deck, actually that was the easiest for me to learn. :p

TOXIC

Yes if it gets rough I use a seat.

I am sorry but you HAVE to screw your pedal to the floor up here.....using a tolling motor pedal with BOTH feet? or do you mean one at a time? Easy to do right or left footed, but then again you almost have to up here in the big water.

Big waves? That's when you take the pedal to the cockpit and fish from there.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:One or the other.....not both at the same time:lol::lol::lol: Using both would be worth the pice of admission right there!!

TOXIC

I think the recess is worth it. I am used to having mine fixed in one position. I like that because I always know where it is when I need it. I used to let it flop and I hated searching for it. If you learn to use both feet(at a different time:lol:) and learn to cast with both hands it is amazing what it will do for your fishing and efficiency. I just like being consistant and eliminating as many variables as I can.

Mini, The best way to put one in is to let Mac or someone else besides yourself cut the big hole!! They won't feel near as bad cutting a hole in your boat as they or even you would their own boat!!!:D

Tim

Always know where it is? Come on now, where could it go? If it hides that well, just follow the cord like bread crumbs.

i installed one on my tracker and love it....it is so very comfortable.......i didnt buy one tho i made it from galvenized steel.i wouldnt take it off my boat for anything.

otto

P101.JPG
P102.JPG
P101.JPG

I have always kept my TM pedal in one place. Before I screwed it down on my old Tracker I was always tripping over it because I wasn't conscious of where it was. Now my 591 has the factory TM pedal well. It isn't as deep as the aftermarket ones. The pedal still sticks up s few inches but it's still a lot more comfortable than without. l have never thought about being uncomfortable using either foot for the pedal. In fact, I think I use the left more but I can use either. With the pedal in one place I am able to shorten the power cord so it's not a tripping hazard and looks a lot neater. I can just put my foot on the pedal without even thinking about where it is or having to look down to find it.

Marty- it's all about situational awareness and being comfortable with your equipment. If leaving it loose makes you comfortable than it is your choice. Like Sooner said" I can put my foot on the pedal without thinking about where it is". You know we are not that far apart and should try to get together on one of our lakes and wet a line. Maybe we could talk Haledamage into coming along. I see your e-mail has kc.rr in it, are you affilliated with the rialroad somehow?

Good Fishin,

Tim

Well, you know I was kidding, right? Council Groves is way out west; is it safe out there yet? HaleDamage is just south of me in Olathe if I remember correctly. "rr" is a Road Runner e-mail thing.

Way out west? I can be in KC in under 2 hrs, BPS Olathe in under 1.5. I am just south of Manhattan. Spent 4.5 hrs on the lake today and had 22 Bass and one Crappie. Biggest was 5.5 lbs. Man it felt good to catch some fish!!! I would even meet somewhere neutral if it would work out. I work for UPRR that is why I asked about the RR.

Tim

Leavenworth and Westport are historically known as jump off points to the west; so for me I like to say anything west of here is beyond the frontier-:lol:. Which lake were you on? We definitely can set something up; I like to fish new lakes. If it's your local lake I could throw the old Divine rod in the truck bed and motor out their to backseat for you.

Welcome to NTOWS, Otto.:D Can I give you one tip for posting pictures in the future? Line them up one on top of the other instead of side by side. That way the text of everybody else's post won't run off to the right where you have to scroll left to right to read it. Otherwise good going... most new members can't figure out how to post pictures for a long time. :D

Harpo

sorry.....new here...........normal forums post pics on top of each other.

otto

No need to apologize.:) The way this forum is set up it will grow as wide as you make it. One time I did something... I never did figure out what, that made every thing below my post show up in bold font. That was before NTOWS had the buttons for bold, italic, underline, etc. It looked really weird.

Anyway, welcome to NTOWS.... again.;)

And thanks for the pictures. Looks like a slick installation.

Marty- I was fishng our local city lake. Was a bit windy, but it was worth it. I released alot of stress from cabin fever yesterday!! I fish a lake just about 30 mins west of Topeka that has big smallies and big largemouth. Maybe when it starts to turn on we can meet there or something!

Tim

Oh yeah Tim. I'm in for those Smallies! I've been thinking about a link up; I'm hoping that you have one of those RR work schedules that will allow us to go in the middle of the week when its not so crowded.

Yah, I have one of those on call 24/7 schedules and I try to do all of my fishing during the middle of the week, especially while the kids are in school. I'll be checking the little lake out here in the next week or so "test the waters" so to speak. I caught a 6lb 2oz smallie there just before Thanksgigving last fall. I have also caught Largemouths up to 7 lbs. It is such a jewel, and it is only about 250 acres!! I'll let ya know when the going is good.

Tim

Tim: With a 6-2 Smallie in that lake you best be carrying quality scales with you 24/7!! That bass was 4 oz shy of the KS record ...

Yah, two years ago in a tourney there I had big bass with a 5-15 smallie. We won the tourny with over 22 lbs and 2nd place was only .12 lbs behind!! It can be an awesome fishery, but it can also act like there isn't a fish in the damn thing.

Tim

The way my back is I wouldn't dare trying to use a TM without having it recessed. BUT, I rarely if ever stand up anymore while fishing and I like to be able to move the pedal around. When this TM goes, and I still have my boat, I might just try a bow mount hand control motor.. Bill in VA swears by his and when I get back down his way again I'm going to ask him if I can try it?

Uncle Billy

I'd often thought about switching to a hand control, but with the winds we get out here my assessment is I'd be more controlling than fishing.

Latest posts

Back