Quick Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Corson

Reaction score
I want to put an additive in my gas to clean out the injectors and etc., as my 882 is going on 6 yrs old and i have never ran anything through the engine / fuel to clean the internal parts. What would you guys recommend? The Mercury Quick Kleen or the SeaFoam ? The SeaFoam is a bit cheaper in price and we sell it @ Walmart. Will both do the same things? I added the Enzyme Stabilizer today, but want to clean the internal components. Theres like a $6.00 difference in price, so no big deal, either way. Do you guys run enzyme / Quick Kleen like every other tank full? A full tank (40 Gals.)will generally last me all season long. I just filled it up today. Any other preventative maintenance you guys would recommend? Can i use any good 2 stroke oil as long as its TCW-3 compatable? Its $35.00 a gallon for the Mercury Oil :(. Thanx guys, i have had NO ISSUES due to ethanol or etc in the 5+ years i have owned the boat, so i think its about time to do some preventative maintenance, so my good luck continues. Thanx, Jim

I just started using the Stabil Ethanol Treatment and Quickleen.

I've always used Quickleen but, figured with alot of staions going ethanol....

As long as the oil is TCW-3....your good to go.

Jim,

If it was my motor i would run both Quickleen and Merc Fuel system treatment and stabilizer in every tank of fuel. The quickleen will help keep carbon buildup from forming( carbon is bad news in a 2 stroke) and the tereatment and stabiliser will keep the injectors clean. Personally i like the merc products because i know they have been designed for use in a 2 stroke motor.

As far as oil goes I would stick with the Merc, again you will know its the right stuff. In my case since my motor is under warranty if its not in a black bottle it doesnt go in the tank.... Cheap tcw3 like super tech is something i would never ever run, ever. The oil is the lifes blood of the motor. Its not worth it to me to risk popping a powerhead to save a few bucks on oil. The only other oil i would even think about running would be a top quality full synthetic like amsoil.

One other thing is with this lovley ethanol fuel we have today. I would not just fill the tank and run it for the season. The ethanol fuels begin to break down in like 30 days from the things i have read. I woudl only buy what you can use in a short amount of time. That way you minimize the chance of it breaking down and you dont have to carry around the weight of a bunch of extra fuel.

Jim - You'll get a lot of different opinions from folks based on each's experiences and what they've heard. For me, I have always used a fuel stabilizer (e.g., Stabil) because I never know when I'll get to run one of the three motors I currently own (two 150HP's and a 5HP). Recently, I started using SeaFoam to help clean the bigger motors. Both are 2003's and neither acted in a way that suggested I needed additives, but I figured what the hey.

So long as you use a quality oil rated TCW-3 and keep the fuel stabilized, you should be good to go. Add Seafoam, Techron or some other quality cleaner if you feel the need. Like a good oil, they can only help.

As for ethanol (10% ethanol to gas) I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've left gas sit for up to seven months at a time (with Stabil and a winterized motor!) and not had a single problem come spring with start up. In fact, this past May when I started up my deck boat motor (150hp Johnson), it roared to life with no hesitation. I am only now getting through about 3/4 of that tank - yes, since it was filled last November! And the motor still runs like a top.

Thanx everyone for your opinions. I will put the Quick Kleen in it soon, but for right now, the Enzyme treatment will serve its purpose. "KNOCK ON WOOD", i have "NEVER" had any problems with letting fuel set over the seasons. My snowmobile, it sits all summer with Stabil in it and never any problems. The oil issue is like this. Granted i have used Mercury Oil 95% of the time over the years, but the other 5% i used a good brand TCW-3 oil, with no problems either. I'll run the Quick Kleen thru it soon, but probably not more than once a year, as i do not put alot of Hrs on the big motor. Thanx again, Jim

Latest posts

Back