Quantum boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Bertrand

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Today I came across a great deal on a 1997 18 ft. Quantum bass boat with a 120 force. This would be my first bass boat but not my first boat. I know it's not a Nitro but it is in my price range and it looked like a nice boat. I know a lot of you have had experience with these engines, what did you like? Not like? Any horror stories? Any sucess stories? Has anyone fished out of or own a Quantum bass boat? Decent boats or not? Thanks. Josh

pmgoffjr,

Would you like to elaborate as to why the boat is a piece of junk? I think Josh wanted a few more details as this is part of his research.

Bob G.

Josh, it's an entry level boat, but if taken care of, you can get a lot of good use out of it.

The things that can jump up and bite you will be untreated wood in various parts of the boat that can go bad if it gets wet. A thorough inspection is in order to make sure that everything is properly caulked and sealed, and no water has gotten where it shouldn't have.

The Force 120 is about as simply as they come. The design received a lot of Mercury upgrades after 1994. Nothing fancy about it. Just premix the oil properly, keep the plugs clean, occassionally run some decarbonizer through it. It should give good, long, dependable service.

Thank you vey much Rich. I am only 15 years old and this will be my first bass boat. I have done a lot of research over the last year and I was planning on getting a mid 90's nitro but I stubled across this boat and it seems like a great deal. I will be fishing my first ever tournaments out of this boat and will probably have it for quite some time so it needs to be reliable and durable. I liked the layout and it seemed to be in great shape. I just need to get it in for a checkup and see what those guys tell me. Thanks again. Josh

Josh -

I agree with Rich. And Rich has enough experience with boats to know exactly what he's talking about.

Mr. Goff -

Josh came here looking for constructive advice. As a Nitro Salesperson, you may well have valuable insight into other makes. In light of the fact that he seems to have done some research on the boat in question and may have his heart set on it..... I'd very much appreciate it if you would provide him with information in a positive way as to any potential pitfalls to watch for.

Thanks!

me!

Josh, Force outboards developed a bad reputation in thier early days. As is common, the bad reputation stuck. I am pretty sure that a 97 year model is made by Mercury in the Fond Du Lac Wisconsin factory (some research would confirm or deny). I believe that the 120 (if properly maintained) would provide many years of good service. Take a compression check on all cylinders before you buy. I am assuming that the boat is fiberglass, so you want to pay particular attention to the structures that receive high stress, or that may have held water. Look over the transom to see if there are stress cracks around it. If water gets into the transom, it will eventually lead to the wood rotting and the transom will have to be cut off and rebuilt. Hope this helps

Let me elaborate and read between the lines for Mr. Goff....He has proven many times over that he knows what he is talking about and has helped many with setup questions etc..The long and short of it...he obviously does not think that the Quantum is a good buy. Short and sweet. He advised to do more research.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

TOXIC

I have a 1999 force 120 and it rocks, absolutley no problems, and it runs very strong, had it about a year and a half.Pre-mixing can be a pain butt but!!

Steve B.

Mr. Goff -

Thank you, Sir! That's much more in the spirit of this board!

me!

Josh I have a older friend who bought a setup like what your talking about about ten years ago. Although I don't see him much since I quit tournament fishing he is still using the same boat. He still complains its underpowered with a 120 Force. It still planes like a tugboat and rides like a brickwagon. He's had most of the locker doors re-hinged as the screws/bolts have pulled out, but other than normal maintence the Force motor has never had a problem. It weighs a ton but still fishes and Gene plans on keeping it as he has no boat payment.

I got a lot of flack when I bought a Nitro instead of a Stratos. My former teammated opened a Stratos dealership but I bought what I could afford. The Nitro has served me well.

If you buy this boat make sure you can drive it first and pull it to the lake with your vehicle. Also make sure you have a dealership willing to work on this outboard. I used to have a Chrysler outboard and dealerships were few and far between in some places. And do what the others suggested check it out completely. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

fatap

I have actaually fished out of one of these quite a bit. A friend bought one new in 89 and sold it to another friend that used it sparingly. The boat wasnt THAT bad, but it did have all of the problems mentioned here.

I would suggest you look further. Depending on your price range I knwo of alot of entry level boats that are great deals. One is a Champion 176 w/ Mariner III (150HP) that looks and runs like new for a '93.

Mini

Pat, a lot of boats use chopper gun strand as part of the layup. It's a useful part of certain laminate schedules, and is often used on expensive hulls as well as cheap hulls. Calling a boat a "chopper gun" boat is misleading, just as infering that a "hand laid" hull is better. Anybody can make a bad hand laid boat. It's the materials and process that determine final quality.

I won't argue that the Quantum is anything more than an entry level boat. However, that does not mean it can't represent a great value to a young angler who wants to get on the water.

Again, Josh, a careful inspection is needed to make sure the boat is structurally sound.

Very interesting, I never knew anything about a chopper gun method of making a hull. It's a dull day when you don't learn something.

Josh, I don't know what your price range is but a homebuilder customer of mine is selling his 20' 99 Cobra with a 225 hp Merc with a rebuilt powerhead for $16,500. Don't know anymore details but would be glad to find out more if you want. Just send me an e.

Harpo

Thanks for the input everyone. This is really going to help me a lot in my purchase. We are going again tomorrow and I've got my list of questions ready as well as my list of things to check on the boat. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Josh

Hey, everyone..... Have you checked Josh's profile?

15 years old and he's got a 12# largemouth to his credit!

Nice goin', Josh!

Thanks ME. There sure are some big fish out here in AZ. Hopefully I'll top that 12 before I'm done with my fishing career. I've got a long time to do it. Josh

Josh, I can fish all year long and not catch that much weight TOTAL!! LOL!!

Latest posts

Back