Outboard Motor Support Bracket

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric R

Reaction score
Hey guys - my first outboard motor is my '98 Nitro 185 Sport SF - My boat didn't come with a support bracket but I see other boats at the launch with the support bracket on when they drive away.

Is this something that should have came with my boat? (I don't see a connection point on the trailer for the bracket like others have).

Is it necessary? Should I get one? And, if so, does anybody have recommendations on where to get one/brand to buy?

Thanks!

Are you talking about what is commonly called a "Motor Toter" that goes from your lower unit to the trailer roller/frame? If so then yes most use them. There are a couple of styles other than the one you see there is one that goes on the motor only. Google "Lock and Stow" or just motor support and you'll get plenty of choices.....and opinions.

Skip the old style ones that go to the trailer. The good ones are Motormate, Lock n Haul and Lock n Stow. The whole point is to keep the motor from slinging around and putting a lot of side-to-side forces on the transom AND to take the pressure off the hydraulics. The ones I listed are better at accomplishing that goal. The old style put stress on the lower unit that it is not designed to take.

I am assuming you have hydraulic trim/tilt.

Ron has opinion #1:lol: The pro motor toter crowd (including a lot of boat manufacturers) have said they prefer the ones that go from the LU to the trailer frame because the motor only style doesn't provide any support other than on the transom. I could list a page of pros and cons for each style but bottom line is that you need some kind of support for your motor.

I happen to have one of each on two separate boats - my bass boat has the motor toter style from lower unit to trailer. The family deck boat has a Johnson 150hp outboard that has the built in Lock n Stow style. I've not noticed better/worse performance with either vs. the other. I think its all a matter of personal preference. Kind of like asking folks which oil to use! :eek::lol:

So... maybe my boat did come with a support bracket. I was looking at my motor to see how the lock 'n stow would fit, and realized that there's a little knob that says "lock". Then I saw how if I trim my motor all the way up, I can swing out an arm that essentially locks the motor in the up position if the knob is turned.

This is my first boat, so please excuse my ignorance on this topic. Does this "lock" knob serve the same purpose as a transom saver? If so, is the correct way to use it to trim all the way up, swing the lock "arm" out and then trim down to rest the motor on the arm?

Here's a pic: http://i.imgur.com/Gs2es.jpg?1

DO NOT USE THAT SUPPORT FOR TRAILERING! I think that is to just make sure that the motor doesn't fall on the mechanic or you when working on the trim/tilt system.

As far as my opinion goes, it comes with a little credibility...and I do mean a little. I have a bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering from Arizona State but I drank a lot so I do not remember much.:D

Get which one makes you comfortable but get one! The older style has been around a while and if it was really bad, it would've disappeared a long time ago. I had one for a year on the first Mercury outboard I owned. It was really scratching up the lower unit and it got me thinking back to my days in physics classes and the stress that it could be causing to the lower unit. I switched to the newer style and think they are much better. In the past I've only owned OMC outboards and they come with a trailering support that flips out and is like a Motormate. It is all I had ever used and never had a problem with a weak or broken transom.

My OPINION is that the transom is under a lot more stress in water, especially rough water as long as the motor is immobilzed when trailering.

Ron

Latest posts

Back