Optima Batteries

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio [URL]http://www.1st-optima-b
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion thats way too much cash for the performance your going to get. I took a look at the specs of the optima battery and its not very impressive. If you were going to run 12 volts you could go get one Trojan scs 200 for $100 bucks and have only 40 min less reserve and have a higher amp hour rating. Or better yet get two scs 200's and be way ahead of the game for $150 less.

Im also not sure if it will fit in the back of the 185. Its almost 2 feet long. two group 27's stacked side by sire i sjust over 1 foot and if i remember correctly from my buddies the tto 27's stacked side by side and the starting battery there was barely enough room. Getting two group 27 deep cycles in there should be no problem. As we discussed earlier get the dual 27 tray and turh the start battery 90 deg and you will be all set.

DUH, I forgot abot that, the batt config can't be long ways in the compartment, it has to side by side like you said.

Thanks

Chris,

I have used Optima Batteries in all my vehicles / (1) boat & swear by them. I do not have any experience with the Troll Fury, however I do run (2) D34M's [same batt as the troll fury] & (1) 34M starting in my Fiberglass Fish-n-Ski rig. Those batteries have just come out of there 6th season & are still going strong.

I have a red top in my plow truck that is eight years old, been near dead many times...still going strong.

I have not switch to Optima Batt's in my new 04 PT185 yet but they will be in there as soon as I get around to it..

Dennis

They are tough as nails. DO a search on them here and you will find more.

Mini

Dennis, what lake is that in your picture library of the PT 185 at the dock? Is it Candlewood?

Either way looks like a nice size lake.

I'm running the blue top in my TV-18 for the trolling motor...no complaints...

Ran it for two days last year without a charge...two days of almost continuous use of the trolling motor...it just started to die on the end of the second day...

two thumbs up from my chair,

az

Mini / Andy,

I read your reports from the past just now.

Thanks.

I might still get them, I just can't get the troll fury, cause it won't fit long ways.

Chris,

That Pic was taken at a lake in Maine about 80 Miles north of Bangor... Awsome place, an Smallies. My family has been going there for over 35yrs. That was the first time the PT185 was there, it is sitting next to my brothers '87 Tracker TX17.

It was an old logging camp that now is a sportsman camp. Great value if you have 5 days to a week or more....

I would gladly plan a trip ... lets go.. LOL

Dennis

CJL-

I just have the standard bluetop...think I paid around $125.00

I'm running the MG 12V 52lb thrust tolling motor on my TV-18...

az

Dennis,

I would gladly go as well, to bad we could walk across the lake right now, LOL. Maybe this summer?

Loks like an awesome lake anyway, do you fish Candlewood?

Andy,

So there better than the stock Interstate's? Just kiddin, I have my Interstate plugged into the charger since November with the Boat in the Garage, I'm curious on how it will do this spring.

BTW, last year with the Interstate brand new, I lasted 6-7 hours on a windy lake, after about 6 hours I could tel lthe batt was dying out in a hurry, it also took over 24 hours to recharge it, so if your saying the Optima lasted twice as long, it sounds like it's well worth the extra money.

What mount do you have on your TM for the TV-18?

Well you let me know & I'll load the truck.. I grew up on that lake... It is my favorite place on this earth...

I hope spring hurries up. I posted a few more pics of the lake...

I've fished Candlewood a few times but it is a little bit of a haul & is sometime pretty busy.. I fish the CT River launch in Wethersfield is 10 min away

It's still the stock mount that came with the boat...

My boat gets LOTS of use during 'the season'...

Normally from April to October I'm in it...usually 4 days a week average...so the trolling motor and battery gets lots of use...I did get rid of the inline fuse on the line from the battery and replace it with a circuit breaker...other than that I'm all stock...

The MG has treated me well with the abuse I give it...

I can't quite get up on plane with it in the water (hahaha), but I have tried!!!

az

Andy, I might be buying a used 74lb Minnkota for my 185, it should fly across the water, hopefully it doesn't bend the bow!! LOL

LOL

Have you seen Kevin VanDam running his Nitro with the trolling motor down?

Only him...

az

Yep, saw that one. But, if he damages it (trolling motor) his sponsor(s) would probably get him a new one I'm guessing.

Hey Dennis,

Would that be Long Lake Camps, Princeton, ME, in your pics?

Paul

Paul,

The Lake is Lake Molulkus (it is a puddle compared to other lakes in Maine 5 miles long by 1 mile wide). It is in T1R5 part of Aroostook County.. 11 miles north of Mattawamkeag (if that helps) It is a hidden gem. If anyone is interested in looking into going let me know, I will get you all the info & the best directions there are. Heck I'll go if I can arrange it with my work schedule. Just drop me a line on the site or to my email.

Chris,

Here is a link if you looking to buy Optima Batteries.

https://www.remybattery.com/index.asp

They are offering a 10% discount this month. Looks like that might save you $40 or $50 bucks including shipping. You might want to check them out...

The Pro Troll is (2) D34M's put together with some short wires and a cover over them. Being you will most likely need to put them side by side I would look at just buy the two batteries.

Dennis

Dennis,

The lake you describe, do you have links for lodges or rentals, just might be something to look into for this years vacation with my family.

Chris,

Here is the Web link...

http://www.lakemolunkus.com/index.htm

My family books this place for the first 2 weeks of August every year (for the past 30+ years). I think we take 8 out of the 11 cabins.

Some things to know:

They generate electricity once maybe twice a day & it is really only to fill the water tower. (if someone in your family can not live with out TV, a phone, a hairdryer don't go here with them) Luckily my other half like to fish & camp...

Some of the House keeping cabins have full baths; others just have stoves, sinks & a rig.

You are about 35 - 40 minutes on dirt roads to get to camp.

See it the prefect place. If you are really interested let me know we can talk I will let you know which cabins I would recommend & some of my favorite hot spots on the lake.

Dennis

Dennis thanks for the info.

Curious though, how do you re-charge your TM batt if you have no electricity?

CJL..I have a Pro Team 17 that I was able to get 3 batterys into. It should be do-able on an 18 foot.

Donnie

I will join the dark side some day. Some day. Let me know if you need some pics.

Donnie

Well it can be an issue sometimes...

I have a few ways I get around it.

I use a solar charger went I can.

I bring two batteries for the PT 185 however I didn't swap them out last time & instead used an inverter in my truck to run my onboard charger when needed...

I used the boat the two weeks I was there last year and I think I needed to charge up the boat only twice with a lot of use of the trolling motor.

Besides I know where the fish are so I don't need to move much...LOL

Dennis

I've said it before, I'll say it again. For unusual installations (like upside down, laying sideways, etc), an Optima or any AGM battery can't be beat. Same is true if you are lousy at maintenance (like keeping the water topped off).

For regular applications, it's too much money for the amps you get. A very good quality flooded cell in the same size group will always have more capacity than the spiral wound batteries, and will cost 2/3rds as much. And with reasonable maintenance practices and smart charging, lasts as long.

I've had good service from Interstate, Everstart, and others, but the best flooded cells I've used are from Trojan and Deka. Heavy suckers. More lead, beefier construction.

Use what you makes you feel comfortable. They all work.

Donnie, yes pictures would be great.

But no rush, I'll try to remember to ask you, I won't be doing any mods until Spring.

thanks

Good deal the boat is covered and froze in the back yard. remind me and I will get them to you.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back