Adding another Battery in a PT 185

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Question for Pat Goff or anyone else have any suggestions on how to fit three batts inside a PT185 Battery Compartment? Below is an illustration of how it is now.

The illustration does not actually represent the amount of room between the batts and the fuel tank accurately.

Pat, when you rig the 185's with three Batts, did you have one battery hang over the bildge area?

Thanks in advance.
Battery.bmp

CJL - take out your removable storage from the rear hatch and add it there.

Bruce, do you mean the small storage boxes and either side of the Batt compartment? If yes, can I safely put batts on the foam? I did notice the storage bins have weep holes that drain to the batt compartment, but just not sure how to mount the batts in there to make safe from bouncing around, can that foam handle the weight? I know Pat said he has rigged three in the batt compartment in the past when he rigged Trackers.

CJL

I had a buddy that had a 185 and he had three batteries in there no problem. What he had to do was turn the starting battery 90 degrees and set it back as far as he could, then move the tm battery tray forward a little and he was able to squeeze it in. It was tight but he did it. You may also want to look at the double group 27 battery tray that nortnern bass sells. It will buy you a an extra inch or two and make the front battery easier to get out, his was a pain. Here is a link to the tray.
http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/...BoatMotorAccessories&manufact=BATTERY HOLDER

I agree with Jim and Pat, I wasn't sure of the layout of the back compartments.

CJL

on my buddies the starting battery didnt hang over the edge into the bilge area, it was flush right up against the hole. Get that dual tray for sure, it will make it much easier for you to get the front battery out. My bussy wished he had gotten that for his, the front battery was a total pain becaue you had to lift it to clear the tray.

Jim, will do, it's only $14 -

Jim or Pat, do you know if there is anything running under the compartment floor that I would need to be concerned with when securing the battery trays in new spots?

Jim BTW, It looks like the "Dark side" is slipping away since I have not found a buyer.

It's hard selling anything right now CJ. People don't seem to be in the market for anything....

Chris - I think you've only had it up less then a month. This time of year with the holidays and such it may take a while longer to sell. Not that i'm pushing you to the dark side, mind you, but if you are still trying to sell it, give it time and make sure its marketed well.

Yup I know Trep, just looking at my alternatives,

BTW - I seen in the toy store the other day a Darth Vader helmet that makes you sound like him, I was thinking of getting it when I finally go "glass" BWAHAHA

Imagine if you get a black glass boat and wear that on the lake!!! That would look cool!!

Im not sure if there is anything under there or not. if you can reach under there id check for wires and hoses. I know when my buddy installed his he had no problems with hitting anything.

like Trep said just keep advertising it. come spring there will be plenty of peole looking for boats and im sure you can sell it quickly then. This time of year is tough for selling. When my buddy sold his last april it was gone two days after he advertised it and he got lots of calls.

Will do Jim,

Was your buddy upgrading to 24v, the reason I ask is that my TM is sufficient to move my boat, what I am trying to accomplish is it's running time, I wonder how much more time I would get with two Batts @ 12 volt, should I assume double time?

Yea thats exactly what he did. He put a 65# minnkota maxxum on his. I wouldnt expect double the run time with two batteries but you will get more for sure. If you really want to increase run time a lot the only way to fly is a 24v motor. They draw less current and are more efficent.

Chris,

I was going to do the same thing you are thinking.I was hoping to get more time out of my batteries.

Instead I just bought a 31 series Voyager and it will last all day plowing through grass and fighting the wind.I also fish the river alot running it on number 4 fighting the current.

I run a M.K. 55 AT trolling motor,and without maximizers,it really sucks down the juice.

Hey CJ...I noticed Bill Dance over the weekend fishes out of a boat just like yours with a 90:)

Patt, do you think two 12v batts will give me a noticeable amount of more time than my current 12v single batt setup?

Tee, I seen the same show last weekend, someone called me up and said, "Chris Tracker just came out with a huge bass boat, alot bigger than yours" LOL, I said that is mine, same color. It did look big on TV.

Latest posts

Back