MG 756 Brute 12/24v TM on my '01 PT185.....HELP!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor Nicholson

Reaction score
WOW!! What a pain in the arse! Trying to put on a MG 756 Brute 12/24v TM on my '01 PT185. Dealer sent me a new plug, boat is pre-wired for 12/24 TM's. Tried to wire it up per dealers instructions and it kept arking real bad and tripping 30 amp fuse near the driver's seat. Wired it as shown on a diagram I found on a link in here and it seems to work that way (which is putting the 2 batt's in series with a jumper) but I don't have a volt meter yet to truly know what I have, called dealer back and he says I should NOT have to series the batteries together as the plug he sent me has an internal jumper, but if I try to wire it as he says it does NOT work!!?? Per his instructions I use all 4 wires that are present (Red,Orange,Black, and Black with blue stripe) I wired it with just the Red,Orange,and Black wires and tied the 2 batt's in series together with a jumper from the + of batt #1 to the - of batt #2 and it seems to be right, had a lighted volt tester, was bright and really bright when I tested it then (12/24??) and the trolling motor seemed to work fine on both the 12 and the 24 volt settings. Not sure what to do now.

Has anyone wired in this type (12/24) of trolling motor onto a PT 185 that is pre-wired for it and had these problems??

Is the dealer who says he knows for sure I shouldn't have to series the batts together just dead wrong or am I missing something here??

I just upgraded to 24v in my 185 but my boat is wired for straight 24v, not 12/24. I would like to help more but what I can do is suggest you do a search from 2weeks ago, someone on this board gave instructions on how to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Let me see if I can find it.

Chris

Here it is -

"I have a '99 185. It was also wired for 12/24. Here is the way mine works. I have (2) black neg. wires in the back compartment. I have (1) red pos. and (1) orange pos. Both of these go to their seperate breakers on the side panel next to the shift/throttle control. You will need to make sure you pair your (2) black neg. wires with the correct positives, the red and orange.

The front trolling plug on the boat has (4) male pins. The trolling motor plug has (1) red, (1) orange and (1) black wire. Use the orange and black for 24v. DO NOT use a cross over wire from the positive of 1 battery to the negative of the other to get your 24v. The cross over to 24v is made within the plug that wires to your t/m by using the orange wire. I hope this helps if the boats are wired the same."

Are you currently using a trolling motor that is a 12/24 volt model, or just a straight 24 volt model??

I am trying to use a MG 756 that is a 12/24 volt model , it is not a straight 24 volt model. Not sure if there would be a difference?

Well.......I had 2 plugs, so I whittled away the rubber from 1 of the plugs to see which wire was jumpered to where internally in the plug. Here's the deal:

The RED wire is jumpered to the BLACK/BLUE-STRIPED wire internally in the plug itself. BUT I do NOT want the jumper at the front of the boat to have to travel all the way back to the batteries to achieve my 24v leg on the ORANGE wire, so here's what I'm going to do, I am defeating the jumper in the plug itself by NOT using the BLACK/BLUE-STRIPED wire, I am hooking the ORANGE wire to the + and the solid BLACK wire to the - on the one battery and then making the jumper from that battery's + to the - of the 2nd battery and hooking the RED wire to the + of the 2nd battery. (I am NOT hooking up the BLACK/BLUE-STRIPED wire to either of the batteries) This in effect gives me a 12/24 volt 3-wire system and I get away from the jumper in the plug. I am also cutting the BLACK/BLUE-STRIPED wire out of the wiring harness behind the plug-in's cover plate so the voltage isn't traveling back through that wire to the rear of the boat (because the internal jumper in that plug ties together the RED wire to the BLACK/BLUE STRIPED wire)

The trolling motor I am hooking up is a 12/24v MG 756 Brute and has 3 wires, RED,WHITE, and BLACK. I am wiring the plug like this:

RED from TM to the RED from the plug (24 V leg)

WHITE from the TM to the ORANGE from the plug (12 V leg)

BLACK to BLACK (ground)

Now the only thing I need to double check is that the MG 756 Brute is indeed using it's WHITE wire as the 12 V and the RED wire as the 24 V legs, I'll be getting a volt meter to double check that today, if it ends up vica-versa then I'll need to switch the RED and ORANGE wires (can't find my owner's manual for the MG 756 that I know I have SOMEWHERE but can't find it....GRRRRRRR!!!)

Got my question answered about which wire was the 12V and which wire was the 24V inputs to the TM after doing a little searching on BFHP site. Downloaded and copied a schematic for this TM from a link I got on BFHP site.

I was correct in thinking the White was the 12V and the RED was the 24V on the TM.

It's amazing what a little time searching can get you for information on the internet.

Latest posts

Back