Leaking Battery?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody have trouble with Trolling Motor batteries that leak some fluid. It seems like my TM battery likes to throw a little fluid around the compartment, not that much but enough that it can be seen, the tray always seems to have some residue in it. It has put stains on the gas tank and compartment bottom, I think the acid activated the dye from the stickers on the battery and made the stains. I have only added distilled water to it once and did not overfill it. My cranking battery does not seem to do this, it's tray is always dry. Is this normal for the TM bat to do this? The battery is only 1 year old.

Strange goings on.

I was charging a battery once. It was on the garage floor with caps off. My son came along and was fooling around with it and shorted it out literally! Acid spewed all over the place. After I got him washed off and clothes changed I went back out and saw I needed a paint job. It spewed upon my new 66 impala! Anyway, that is the only time I've seen spatter. Unless you hit some bumps with the cell lids off I don't see any other way that could happen.

Inspect the battery terminals for signs of leakage, if there replace the battery, if not, take the battery to a dealer and have it load tested and go from there.

Never charge a battery or even let one set on a floor..especially concrete. It'll ruin it...

Tee...

I've always thought that was "urban legend"... is there any "real" data on the concrete thing?

Used to be that way on the old batts. not anymore, the cells are insulated. Old habits are hard to break though, I always put mine on a board LOL!!

If you filled your cells and the battery was not fully charged you can get over run. How are you charging? A bad charger can overcharge and boil the cells causing overrun also. Look and make sure the cell cap is not cracked or split. JimB is the battery expert now LOL!!

TOXIC

Thanx for the link about batteries, I went after lunch today to get a new battery. I cleaned out the compartment and installed it this evening. Hopefully, the trojan won't spew out fluid like the last battery. It is a trojan right?!

Latest posts

Back