OK Rob - What did you do to Noah!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK after our trip last weekend with Noah's new "First Science Officer" book being succesful, I knew we needed a trip to BPS this weekend. Today was rainy and cool, so the family headed up the mall (and a stop at the Lego outlet store). Anywho, near the end of the trip (checked out the new boats! MAN even the "SuperGuide" series is ALL WELDED!!!)

I told Noah that at 5 he was now old enough to have some real lures (with hooks and all) for his own tackle box. I asked him what did he want Topwater, Crankbaits, Spinnerbaits, Roostertails??? His response........

"Daddy, can I have a Jig and Pig!!"

I said, but Noah even daddy hasen't caught a fish on a Jig/Pig yet, you SURE you don't want a jointed Rapala like we use to catch Trout???

"No daddy, I REALLY want my OWN jig and pig! Can I PLEASE pick them out??"

ROB - What have you been doing up there in NY since it got cold? You doing the "nekkid Jig/Pig dance???"

As any good father I continued to try to move him to more "easily" fished lures. I tried the "that's a tough lure to fish Noah, you have to be accurate at casting and move it REAL slow! Lot's of just let it sit there time! Come on, let's get some Rattle Traps??"

"Daddy, i'm big enough to just let it sit there, OK?"

Needless to say, we hit the Jig Isle and he picked out a 3/8 oz black/blue skirted jig, and a package of blood red rubber split tail trailers!!! I did convince him to go by the clearance Isle and he snagged a Rappala brand Rattle Trap (OH and Eli had to have one too!!).

I guess after I get my first Striper this season, it's off to learn the Jig/pig so I can teach Noah!!!

That's too funny...The "frosting" will be if he snags a bass on it when he tries it... The look out! My first "lure" was a azy Ike flat fish in ornage... It caught bass and trout for me till I lost it in Lake of The Ozarks after a few years of use... I still have two and I fish them once in a while... So encourage him

Hey Trep...

If I can catch fish on a Jig-n-pig, then it shouldn't be too hard for a 5-year old to do it!!! LOL

I had never caught any bass on them until this year...the reason? I just MADE myself start using them...now I ALWAYS have one tied on and at the ready...try 'em...you'll like 'em!!!

az

Laugh, but he WILL catch a fish on it, and chances will be it will be a big one. Kids have that nack! Years ago, I used to go fishing every Easter Sunday afternoon as an annual opening ritual. One year (still in school, 17 I think) my mom made me take my cousing Erin with me. She always used to follow me around. Well we went and she poked through my tackle box. She picked out a huge bubble gum slug-go that my mom had bought. I knew NO respectable fish would hit that, but HEY, it's what she wanted so I tied it on. She proceeded to tangle it right over the edge of the boat. I went to fishing. She starts hollering, "I'm stuck will you get me out?" I look, she's stuck allright in the mouth of a 4lb LM! GEeeeesh. Took the fish off and WENT HOME! LOL Trep, bring Noah to some sunken timber with some heavier line. Let him just drop that jig down the side of the trees and wait and watch. He'll hook up allright and show YOU how to catch REAL fish! LOL Go get 'em Noah!

Trep, great story. Next season or whenever only take out with you on the water a few colors and sizes of jigs (rubber and hair) along with a few different rubber and pork trailers. Keep all your other stuff at home. Don't bring anything else. Force yourself to use and catch a fish with it. You know it works you just need to make it work for you. I know this from experience. You'll fish it for awhile, not be satisfied with the results and tie on another type of confidence bait. I found myself in the same situation when it came to fishing a buzz bait and soft sticks. Only took them out with me and forced me to use them. Now when the feeling and situation is right I don't hesitate to tie one on.

Latest posts

Back