Ok Boys, You're A Bad Influence On Me - S&w M&p 223/556 W/scope

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirForce

Reaction score
Ok ok, you guys did it again plug its Cabela's fault for opening a store within driving distance of Nashville now up in Bowling Green KY. Went last night to spend the night with the wife so we could shop and have fun time. Cabela's had on sale a Mossberg 223/556 OR 308 for $549 bolt action that accepts any AR15 mag so that really intrigued me to go look at it. Plus having a Cabela's CC didn't help either (with hefty credit available). So was ready to make the purchase after checking it out ONLY to discover they only had the 308 in stock. I'm wanting to shoot in the back yard and its NOT 1000yds long LOL.

SO a rethink and looking at other rifles and I settled on the Smith & Wesson M&P .223/5.56 and paired it with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 scope. Pair set me back about a grand - so not bad. While I was there, I stocked up on ammo (case of 900 rounds for 379 on sale), a StripLULA loader, two 40 round magpul mags and two 30 round magpul mags to with the one 30 round mag that came with the gun. Plus a few other things.

By the time I left Cablea's on the 2 trip this morning, I was 1900 more in debt to them LOL. But wife got a few goodies too.

a1b365fe-162a-4e84-92fc-ad18bc2f4a45.jpg~original

Yes, I did buy the tactical sling (naturually) and extra StripLULA loader (so wife could have one). She shot it today and likes it. Scope still needs zeroing in but need another target stand. Shot the legs out of the metal one I had (OOPS). They only give a 5% veterans discount when Bass Pro gives me 10%. But hey, discount is discount and I racked up enough points last night and this morning to get some free fishing stuff for spring. Hotel didn't cost me nothing since I used my free points on that too (choicehotels).

I know one thing, it sure sounds LOUDER than what I remember an AR15 rounds sounds like during nam. Use to be pifff pifff now its BANG BANG (like my SKS almost). Thinking of getting another 900 rounds while its on sale for 379 (normally 469)

Reactions: cq
I still want to go look at the CVA 50 cal. pistol (black powder). 14 inch barrel with red dot. Flash with smoke makes me happy. I have talked myself out of revolvers.

Nice rifle. I have an older A2 AR 15 and it's a bit softer on the recoil than my carbine. More like my memory tells me the ones we had on ship sounded like. Try shooting a LR 308 or better yet my Model 700 target tactical chambered in .300 WIN Mag. LOUD. Have fun with the rifle.
Mike G

Yep, bug is hitting me bad now. Got some rails to add to the forearm grip, added the vertical grip to the forearm. Sling loop end plate on order for the sling harness to attach to. Wished I had that when walking the dog in the bushes of nam. I did get 1000 rds of 223, figured on using that for practice rather than the 5.56. Gonna get Lay #49 reloading manual to read up on that. Seriously considering reloading, especially the 9mm and 380. Got my SKS 7.62x39 on armslist now trying to sell it.

5.56 is a bit twitchy to reload but as long as you stay with in the max charge your fine. I reload for all mine. Also .380 amd 9mm. When reloading semi automatic rounds be sure you don't crimp the cases. The taper crimp can and sometimes cause a misfire as the case is pushed into the chamber and a tiny bit past the case head seat. Not allowing a good primer strike, Let me know when your ready as I have several recipes for all the average cartridges rifle and pistol.
Did you need to buy an after market for grip with rail mount? Can add flashlight and all the other tacticool stuff. Also does the front sight/gas check interfere with the scope's optics?
Mike Grandick
aka
fatrap

actually no, the scope doesn't see the front sight at all. I was very surprised as I was prepared to cut down the front site. Keeping the magpul folding rear sight that came with the gun so when I feel like shooting iron sights I can, plus wanting to sight those in anyways. Yep, I did buy an aftermarket vertical grip. Most of the stuff I bought off ebay once I found it (MUCH cheaper) and surprisingly the quality was very good. I doubt I'll add a flashlight but MIGHT get a red dot scope for later after I've looked through someone else's rifle (buddy has one I'll look at later on a 22 black rifle) He hasn't even shot it yet so I'm prodding him to go to the range with me once I locate one near me. (Nope, won't set foot in Nashville and definitely no indoor ranges). I found one run by the state (Antioch/Percy Priest lake area) Nashville suburb, hate the area but the other place is south of Franklin TN which is a little farther.

My buddy's brother in law is a KY retired state trooper (now works for KY Lottery security) and he reloads. Planning on visiting him to see what he does. He reloads 308's etc. I'm wanna to see what's all involved and what my investment for reloading will come to, how hard is it to get powder, bullets, cases etc (especially primers). Have to see if its worth the money. Just ordered another 1000 rds of 223 for 259 bucks (100 bucks cheaper than Cabela's) from bulkammo.com.

I will however keep you in mind for questions if and when I do start seriously taking on the reloading. I will definitely save all my brass just in case. Need to get a magnetic sweeper so I can sweep the 3/4 acre backward for the stuff I've already shot :D Might even consider reloading 410 shells, those shells are much higher than 12 ga but love shooting that little 410 saiga or the mossberg pump. Wife doesn't like the saiga, too heavy for her, but she's ok with the pump.

Seriously considering selling my Taurus Raging Judge 3in 454 Casull. Kinda wanting a Ruger 22 Backpack Rifle OR another AR15 for the wife. :D

Raging Judge is a beast but a show stopper in a home invasion situation. Sold a couple when I sold guns for Bass Pro. The other issue with reloading is you can custom load to meet your needs. I have some detuned .223 for indoor ranges and some 60 grain Hornady V Max for critters. One chrono's at 2550 fps and one 3100 fps. I have an excellent .308 load. Let me know this is my "thing" so to speak.

fatrap

@AirForce, I know you said it doesn't show in the view of the optic, but I'd definitely consider removing the front sight and gas block and replacing it with a low profile gas block and replacing your rail with a longer, light weight modular rail. Then you can toss on either cantilever BUIS or folding BUIS. Just a thought.

I'm looking for a Vietnam era looking Colt AR SP1 with a 20" barrel to do a cool wood furniture conversion on for my pops for Christmas.

If ya'll have one let me know...

if you never used Armslist I highly suggest you do. You can go local or as far as you want to go. Just beware there are spammers and cons BUT you'll have better luck if they are registered users like myself. When I sell something I ask for specific info when they email me - without it - I ignore the email inquiry. I always ask for a phone number and I let them know - no phone number - forget it. (only handy when you're selling something) however you can do the same when you're asking if someone has something to sell or trade. Those Colt's ain't cheap.

if you never used Armslist I highly suggest you do. You can go local or as far as you want to go. Just beware there are spammers and cons BUT you'll have better luck if they are registered users like myself. When I sell something I ask for specific info when they email me - without it - I ignore the email inquiry. I always ask for a phone number and I let them know - no phone number - forget it. (only handy when you're selling something) however you can do the same when you're asking if someone has something to sell or trade. Those Colt's ain't cheap.

Thanks @AirForce I typically use www.TheOutdoorsTrader.com here in Georgia. When I was living in Ohio, I liked www.OhioOutdoorNetwork.com. Staying closer to the vest and doing transactions face to face locally with members that had a reputable status was the best and most secure way for me to go.

Vietnam era M16 A2's pop up all the time in gun shows around here. Most have had the bolt carrier and trigger assemblies changed to comply with ATF requirements. Unfortunately some are going for over $2000 in my parts if they have the Older variety stock n slab side lower reciever. There are some companies that make wood furniture for AR's. I like to have one of the older models but I have four now.
fatrap

@fatrap, yeah it doesn't have to be an authentic M16 with the trigger assembly swapped out for NFA compliance. I'm just looking for the Colt SP1's that came out in the 80's and 90's for the most part and can be bought for a grand or less. In GA, SP1's typically go for about $900-$1200 depending on whether or not the are HBAR versions.

Love the S&W M&P. They did a great job on that rifle. In particular, I love the 1:8 twist and the fact that they give you a melonite treated barrel in a gun that's priced favorably to AR15s with plain steel barrels.

Latest posts

Back