Any Of You Guys Got Bud's Like These Guys?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirForce

Reaction score
Well since I have no kids to brag about all I have is my 4 legged boys. Bear is almost 7 now, a mixed terrier and yellow lab I adopted since the original owner was gonna take him to the pound if I didn't take him. He wasn't quite 1 a year old then and he weighs 110lbs. Dog never leaves my side and layed right next to me during 2 heart attacks I had in the back yard. If wife wanted to know where I was, all she had to do was see where Bear was. The new addition is a wolf/german shepard mix I bought 3 weeks ago for $100. Has beautiful markings that I love in a german shepard. I named him Ranger. He's come along pretty darn good and I got him retrieving today. He'll make a darn good drug dog. Even has me thinking of getting my DEA license again to train him. He'll grow to be a BIG dog too.

At first, Bear didn't cotton to Ranger and after 3 days he had enough of him jumping into his food pan, so he put him in his place. Then a week ago, his attitude changed and he let him sleep in the dog house with him even though I bought his own dog house. Ranger had watched and followed every step Bear took and tried repeatily to get him to play with him. Bear now plays with him constantly and how they are big buds. Wife and I have taken lots of video's of them playing, its hilarious at times.

Now he's learned why Bear lays at the end of the deck, facing the back door, because he watches for me coming to the kitchen, he knows when its about time for supper too OR he wants a bacon treat. I'm really glad I bought this pup. My older dog hasn't been so active for a long time especially since I haven't been able to move much this year.

myboys.jpg%7Eoriginal

Sorry for the quality, it was taken with my cell phone, through the back door zoomed up on them. Ranger on the left of photo, Bear on the right. So any of you guys have buds like these guys?

Since living in Virginia (20+ years) we are on our second Weimeraner. We are a 1 dog at a time household. The first, Nero was supposed to be my wife's dog but he bonded with me the day we brought him home. When I was home he never left my side...yes even in the bathroom or taking a shower!! IF I picked up the Jeep keys he went ape thinking we were going to his favorite place on earth...the river. He could swim the fastest part of the Rap without any problem and since we live on a cliff, I would work him on the cliff face and down into the forest on a regular basis. Our Vet said that she had seen a lot of Weims but had never seen one as muscled up as he was. Made it all the worse to loose him to a degenerative nerve disease at 14 yrs old that withered his hind muscles to the point he was in pain and could not get around. I still tear up when I think about holding his head on my lap watching him slip away (with the Vets assistance). He was the best companion and watch dog I have ever owned. Now to present day and we have Cobey who is a Blue Weim. He is a big boy at around 110lbs. He was picked for protection when I travel and let's just say he excels at his job!! Wife spoils him waaaay too much and I have to stay on top of him but that is the case with all Weims. I'll see if I can't dig up some pics.......

Attachments

• IMG00029-20120624-1738.jpg
    IMG00029-20120624-1738.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Bass Pro 002.jpg
    Bass Pro 002.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG00026-20101106-0924.jpg
    IMG00026-20101106-0924.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 198
See what you started Charles..LOL,

My buddy is Carson. He is now 9 1/2yrs old, or there about. We rescued him from the Humane Society. He was born in Tennessee. He was in a shelter there as a new born pup. When Katrina hit, they moved him to the shelter in Milwaukee to make room in Tenn for the displaced pets of Katrina. We were told he was a hybrid mix of full Collie and American Spaniel. Upon adoption, our vet said no way was he collie/spaniel (maybe border collie, but he also doubted that) and he'd be a mid size dog of about 50lbs or so when full grown. He is 52lbs currently at his last vet visit so the vet was spot on. I used to work 60-90 a week, so he was the wife's companion and protector. A few years ago we met his twin, although the other dog was 90lbs, they were exact twins in features/body structure, etc. That dog was a Flat Coated Retriever so that is our best guess at his breed. Our vet does agree after some research, although also stated Flats are an extremely rare breed and he has never seen one in person. Carson has no other traits of any other breed so... Since my retirement 4 years ago, he has become "my constant companion" instead of the wife's (which she mentions FREQUENTLY..LOL). He rarely is more than 5 feet away from me. The only odd thing about him is him and water. We have a place in central Wisconsin on the Wisc River. Carson loves to go down to the river and will wade in it all day, but will not go past getting his legs wet. He does tswim if forced to deeper water, but will not go there on his own. His predecessor was a Border Collie named Reno that had to be send to puppy heaven at 7 years old due to kidney failure... took me 3 years to decide to move on, then Carson joined our family.

Attachments

• DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC00002 (2).JPG
    DSC00002 (2).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Carson's twin...jpg
    Carson's twin...jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Reno (2).JPG
    Reno (2).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Scott, funny you should mention water. Bear (the white one) HATES getting wet. Even when it gets 100 degrees although he does enjoy it afterwards but the first thing he'll do if I don't tie him up is find the first big dirt pile to roll in to "dry up" although he'll look like a pig in a wallow afterwards. Takes about 3hrs of being tied on the deck to let him dry enough. Now Ranger doesn't seem to mind at all the water.

For years I use to fill the water bucket up with water from a hose. Bear would get a drink during the summer as soon as its filled, but generally smells it, and walks away preferring to drink water from any nook and cranny any rain would bring. 3 months ago I had a crew cut down some trees on the property and the crew wouldn't drink from the hose. Foreman says it gives it a bad taste - any hose would. So I started filling it straight from the spigot and sure enough, Bear started drinking from the bucket all the time.

Thought I'd post one of the video's of them playing for anybody that'd like to watch the rascals.

http://vid1166.photobucket.com/albums/q610/policek9trainer/My dogs/MOV_1478.mp4

If you can consider this a dog, my wife rescued this little fury rat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414689010.734609.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414689027.322800.jpg

Reactions: cq
Pup getting bigger, thought I'd post some updates - but as usual, if his buddy (my older dog) is asleep then most of the time he's right there with him. Now he's 7 months old and almost 70lbs I think. Course I should have named him TROUBLE for constantly finding stuff I don't want him chewing on (and I mean EVERYTHING) but I think he's finally showing down on the chewing (I sure hope so).

Course here, older dog Bear got the bed first but left enough for Ranger to lay his head. He actually prefers laying on the door mat but they will squeeze together when its colder. That silver thing is one of 2 heat lamps I have connected to a remote device (so I don't have to go outside) to turn it on or off. If its raining, they'll go to the dog houses but otherwise lay there by the back door.

MyBoysareasleepatthedoor.jpg~original

(reflection is the glass), I have to be very quiet, Ranger is one very ALERT dog (which I love actually). Sure looks cute though when they both cuddle on the heated bed underneath the heat lamps (got a heated pad that comes on at 32deg automatically). I did have 2 of them, but Ranger decided he wanted to know what was inside his (ripped out the pink fluffy stuff).

Here's their normal morning nap area on the deck when the sun is out in the mornings.

Myboysasleeponthedeckinthesun.jpg~original

Yep, 7 months old and almost as big as Bear who's 107 lbs - Ranger (aka Trouble) will eventually be larger than Bear. But sure has given the wife and I many hours of pleasure watching the 2 play fight.

Reactions: cq

Latest posts

Back