Oil Leak Question for Bob

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hodge2

Reaction score
Took our new boat out today for some break in time. 2010 189 sport with 150 optimax. Ran good but when I loaded back on the trailer and still on the ramp I noticed oil draining from the transom well holes. I looked over and there was a puddle of oil/water........mostly oil (about a cup). Surely this is not normal. Please help with some ideas as to what to check. I really like the boat, but bought a new one so I wouldn't be dealing with fuel and oil while out on the water. Surely this is not normal right?

Congrats on the new rig! NO...oil leaks are not common. Look for a loose cap on the motor mounted tank where it was bled during the pre-delivery inspection. They may have inadvertently spilled some when it "overflows" once purged.

Always follow the oil leak "up" to it's point of origin. We have also had some defective tanks with "stripped" caps. ;)

Ok so I looked and it appears to come from the small engine tank. It was loose and when I tightened it it seems to want to strip. How tight should it be? I really need to shoot a picture, but there is tubing coming off that tanks top and connects to a Tee fitting. It's only hooked up like and elbow so the bottom of the Tee fitting has no tubing connected to it. Does this sound normal?

Oh and thanks Bob. Last time I had a boat was 1989 and it was barely sea worthy and I came home from fishing every time covered in grease and fuel. I'm sure that didn't help my fishing.....glad those days are over. Wife and I are liking this boat pretty good so far.

Defective tank, have the dealer replace it. The brass fitting is a 2psi check valve, and it it connected properly. ;)

Latest posts

Back