Lower unit help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Reynolds

Reaction score
Here’s a little back story.
The motor sat in the travel position over the winter. ( I know not the smartest thing I’ve done). Last week when I went to uncover the boat and get it ready for the season I noticed an oil stain under the motor and oil leaking out of the water intake ports. I lowered the motor, let it sit for a day and then changed the lower unit oil and cleaned where it was leaking from. Checked on it everyday for a few days and saw no more oil leaking. Took boat out and ran great over the weekend. Parked it Saturday with motor down and today I go out and see oil leaking out of the water intake ports again. I know it has to be gear oil because I premix my gas and it definitely does not look or smell like fuel. Your advice and knowledge is appreciated. EFDC0744-F36F-4C5C-BD81-D33C67B0F17B.jpeg8FA6ADAC-1475-4C27-87A9-28D24ECFC656.jpeg

Update: found the culprit

Attachments

• F8B09BC9-F726-41A2-B98F-43DCC1D5F2E6.jpeg
    F8B09BC9-F726-41A2-B98F-43DCC1D5F2E6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 09A82D67-2942-4508-BD9B-6B1983E63565.jpeg
    09A82D67-2942-4508-BD9B-6B1983E63565.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
When I changed the oil, I noticed a small amount of water in the lower unit.
Using a pressure tester, I was losing 2 psi in 5 minutes (specs call for holding 10-12 psi for 5 minutes).
The leak was fixed by tightening the shift-rod housing bolts, which were just barely past snug.
Now holds 12 psi for 24 hours!
Got lucky there.

Attachments

• pressure- vacuum gage.jpg
    pressure- vacuum gage.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
Dropped the lower unit off to my uncle yesterday with the seal kit. Just have to wait and see what he says. I know 2 of them are pressed in, one looks pretty easy, not sure about the other.

Update: got everything buttoned back up and test ran it yesterday with no issues. Ended up replacing main shaft and prop shaft seals, all o-rings and the water pump. Also did the hub kit on the prop.

Here’s a little back story.
The motor sat in the travel position over the winter. ( I know not the smartest thing I’ve done).

I've owned 3 boats over the last 23 years. Two with Yamaha's, my current has a Mercury. My motor has always been tilted up resting on my transom saver when parked in my shed. Am I not supposed to do this? If it causes potential issues I can tell you my motors have had zero mechanical problems.

tilted motor during winter is said to collect water around seals on prop and then when the water freezes, supposedly it ruins the seals.

Recommended to tilt down and drain water from around the seals

Latest posts

Back