Now, the real UGLY part of the tourney.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I had several minor mishaps during the practice and the tourney, which I'll highlight here.

1st Practice day.

Right off the bat I'm having trouble. One of my tie downs would NOT release at all. I had to cut it off to launch my boat.

Since I mostly ran all day long (checking out new water and structure), I didn't do my usual routine. This includes running the bilge (manual) routinely. I have a livewell drain hose that leaks from the valve out to the transom. Therefore, I take on 'some' water whenever I'm in the water. Around 3:00PM, I noticed that there was water in the floorboard! I turned on the pump, and it ran (and ran, and ran . . .). My bilge was really full.

Then, I got to the dock to take out my boat. I eased up to the dock, went to the bow, took the tie rope and stepped off. Unfortunately, the boat caught an inbound wave and proceeded to bounce off the dock before I was settled. Next thing I know, I'm on the dock and the boat (motor still idling) is about 10-15 feet off the dock just sitting there. Luckily, another boater (who turned out to be my partner on Friday), gave me a lift. We had a good laugh.

2nd Practice Day -

Everything went according to plan, except catching/finding fish.

1st Tournament Day -

No real problems, other than the fact that it was just wet.

2nd Tournament Day - This is where it really went into the toilet.

I got up early, so I could get a good breakfast at the Huddle House. Got all packed, checked out of the motel, and proceeded to go eat. Left from there, headed to the ramp.

I had the radio off, trying to think through my day on the lake. I heard some 'road noise', but attributed it to being colder and not knowing the road surface/condition. Trailer seemed to be handling well.

As I turned off the main road, to the marina road, I had a tire go down/blow out. At least that's what it sounded/felt like. To some degree, I was correct. I just decided to take it to the marina parking lot (about 1/2 mile), and deal with it there.

Got there, got out and I find there is no wheel, and the hub is on the ground. Checked in, and then came back to change the tire out. Had to put my jack under the frame, and I couldn't get it under the axle. Then, had to borrow another jack, to get it under the axle to raise it enough to get the spare on.

Unfortunately, the hub sustained fair damage, and all the remaining studs were loose. Basically this meant that I couldn't securely attach the spare - no way to launch. I went back to the checkin, and arranged to be a non-boater (I got my Friday partner promoted to a boater for Saturday - he also loaned me the 2nd. jack).

Then, I had to go pack up all the loose electronics on the boat, get out my gear, and head back down to the ramp to find my partner for the day. By this time, I feel as though I've been plowing the south 40 in the middle of the summer (hence - I didn't bring enough warm clothing from the boat).

I got hold of my wife around 8:00AM, and gave her a laundry list of items to collect (new hub from Northern Tool), tools, extra items and directions).

She arrived just before checkin, and after I weighed my fish, I put on the new hub and attached the spare. Of course, I couldn't get the dust cap on the hub (ruined two attempting to do it), and resorted to duct tape as a dust cap.

Got everything fixed on the boat yesterday. New bearing buddy, bearing buddy bra, new tire(s), etc.

Now, here's the really strange part. Both all morning Saturday (while I was trying to get to a point where I could actually launch my boat), until the time that I pulled out on Saturday afternoon - I never received ANY OFFER OF HELP FROM ANYONE. I must have had 25-30 people ask if I got it fixed, but never even one offer of help. When they drew for the Flowmaster gift (as I understand it), they even mentioned that I was<

Wow, thats not a very fun story at all. Thankfully you got it fixed and home safe. I cant believe that nobodytried to help you out, there is no excuse for that.

When was the last time you checked the torque the lugs? I check mine overy other week or so because i have found over time thaqt then tend to get a little loose pretty quick from all the vibration/bouncing. During fishing season i do mine every couple of weeks and more often then not they arent at the 90 ft/lb's i set them to. I have never lost a wheel but i did have one come real loose once (almost lost it at 70 mph) before i learned to make checking them a regular part of my routine.

Man Tex, I don't think I'd leave the house for awhile! Maybe you've used all your bad luck up for a year or so. The worst part about this is that nobody offered any help. Unfortunatly I've noticed this sort of behavior too many times these days.

Bill

Jim,

I know that I'll be checking the lug's often now. Part of my pre-trip checklist. Also learned that depending upon the vehicle jack for the trailer (in this instance), is not enough. I had just bought a smaller floor jack several months ago. It will be travelling with me any time I tow from now on. Putting together a 'vehicle box' that I'll simply pick up and put into the back of the vehicle.

Tex

Tex, thats excatly what i do. I have a box of "stuff" that i carry as well as my small floor jack, my tool box and s few small blocks of wood to give the jack extra lift if i need it. I got a 12 gallon storage bin from home depot and it holds everything i need other then tools and the jack. Over the years i have collected quite a collestion of things that have helped me repair stuff on long trips.

Latest posts

Back