Newfound/Sunapee NH

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay K

Reaction score
Hey Guys;

I live in Peterborough NH, and I've been wanting to try Newfound and Sunapee. I've never fished either one of them. If anyone has any tips they would be willing to give about the fishing or the navigation, I'd really appreciate it. I know they both have a decent amount of rocks, and I've heard Newfound can be tough on props.

We got out on Spofford Lake yesterday and we had a blast. Lots of 3lb smallies and a nice 5lb largemouth. Biggest smallie as 4.6 lbs.

I have never fished sunapee so i cant help there but i have fished newfound a good bit. Fishing wise i like it the most pre and post spawn(spawn is fun too). Post spawn can be really magic there. The same patterns that work on the other big clear smallie lakes apply here. I hate the place once july comes along, the fish just seem to go away(at least for me).

Navigation wise i personally dont find newfound to be that bad. The lake is really a big bowl so as long as you stay on the lake side of 90% of the markers you will be fine. The only real hazards are the island near wellington to the north(its all no wake back there), the sand bar south of wellington and there is also a no wake zone south of wellington that is littered with rocks on both sides, on that one as long as you stay between the sticks you are good. Other than that its really safe and very well marked. Its not like Squam which is hazard central. Go to Northern Bass and grab a map of the place, it will hlep you to know where the markers are.

Thanks for the reply Jim. My buddy is actually coming from Fremont tomorrow, so I'll have him pick us up a map on his way over.

I'm thinking of heading there tomorrow or Thursday, so I'll post our results.

Jay - I'll be going over to Newfound on Sunday. Not sure how high the water is but be careful around the sandbar and getting too close to shoreline and any markers that are there. The better smallies will be spawning a bit deeper than those found around the shoreline. Hope you and your friend have a good time and definitely post the results! I am hoping we are not on the backside of the spawn. Bill, the MadKayaker

Bill,

Let me know what you find. Im goign to be on vacation the next two weeks and if my elbow is up for it(i got something going on in there) i want to make a trip up there. If you have any free time and ant to get together let me know. The only day i have blocked off is the 21st, i have to go to the elbow doctor to find out whats happening w my elbow.

Guys,

i am also heading out Sunday with the family or at least my son. Bill if you are going to Newfound i will meet you there.

JayK,

Sunapee has become one of my favorite lakes over the past few yrs. The water temps right now are lower than normal. The lake rose approx 16/18" lask week driving all smallies back to thier deeper haunts. I fished a T there Saturday and the bite was way off for all fisherman.

navigation on this lake is quite simple. Like Newfound stay to the main lake and your safe. Use extreme caution as you enter all coves. There are VW sized boulders in some of these coves and the only warning you get is a no wake marker as you enter said cove. There is a Large Island that seperates the northhern part od the lake from the southern part. If coming from the south (state park) stay to the right of the island. there is a channel that runs between the main land and Great Island. That is the prefered method of passage. The white light house in the middle of the lake is surrounded by a reef system of granite. Watch the markers and youll be safe. As you head north you will see another light house on the right hand shore. look for a mid lake shoal (its wll marked) stay to the right of the hazard markers with the light house on your right. Head up to Georges Mills for nice largies.

quick tip for finding fish: find the old pier CRIBS and youll find the fish. This lake was used as vaca location during the early 1900s. the steam ships would tie up to these old piers. the piers are gone of course but the crib strutures have become havens for big smallies.

feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

GregD

Hey guys I have one more question. Where do you launch at Newfound? I can only find Wellington State Park, but it's closed fo th season. Is there a seperate entrance for the launch that is always open?

Thanks!!

Wellington is it, the boat ramp will be open.

Here is something from the nh parks website regarding operations.

"This park is always open for recreation. During the off-season the park is typically not staffed and comfort stations are not available.?

Thanks Jim! Hopefully reports of 6 lb smallies to come.

Thanks to GregD as well. That is some very useful info!!!

I think I might be hitting it just right. I saw a post on Bassresource.com that said they were still in prespawn patterns during a tourney last weekend. Hopefully we will all be hitting it perfectly.

Flying out of Manchester yesterday (down to NYC and DFW) - I got to see some of the area from the air as it was clear and beautiful there. Loved looking at all the 'water' available in the area. My job will take me up there regularly (once every 6-8 weeks) throughout the year.

Maybe I'll be able to get a line wet along the way.

Tex

Hey Guys,

got out on Newfound today. Water temp was 51 when we got there, and warmed up as high as 65 in some spots by the end of the day. We saw about a million cruising bass in the shallows, but not a lot on beds. The curisers were not really interested in biting. Our bigger fish (4 and 3 lbs 12 oz) came off of jerkbaits on windblown points. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

It looks like if you are there on Sunday, you will be in for a treat!! They are just about to go nuts, but were not quite there yet today. I think I'm going back next week.

I hope you are out there catching them like crazy right now guys! What a nice day to be on the water.

Hit Winnisquam to day Newfound had a tourney and i didn't want to deal with20 other boats on the water.

Water temps at 59/61f smallies were on beds all over the lake, The family gad a great day and i felt like a deck hand running around rigging rods and removing hooks.

Planning a mid week trip to Newfound Wednesday if any one can get out let me know.

GregD

Hey Greg - I got up to Newfound and it wasn't bad at all in terms of boat traffic on the water. The patrol was in force chasing boats down in the no wake areas and giving out tickets. The water surface temps were in the 58-62 range but there were more bass staging than on or making beds. In one area we were fishing, there were at least 30-50 bass in packs roaming off in 12 feet of water and they were big! They looked like buffalo roaming the praire in a Kevin Costner movie and we tried jerk baits, spinnerbaits and crank baits to try to catch them. My brother caught one on a bandit that chased off two huge bass by comparison and when we weighed it, it was 3.70 lbs. The majority of our bass were caught on the few beds that were there and similar to last year, they were all larger than Winnisquam bass and were in the 3-4lb range. My largest was just under 5lbs! I will be going up on Friday if the weather is good and maybe on Thursday as well provided the weather is good.

While it doesn't make sense, what with the water temps, I think the spawn is really just starting. The only bad thing is that the restaurant at the beach was closed as I was planning on taking a break, beach my boat and getting a good lobster roll and fries ;)

Bill, the MadKayaker

Hey guys..I'm glad you had a good time. It sounds like almost exactly the same experience we had.

I'll probably be going this week sometime. It all depends on the weather.

Thanks again for all your help!

Latest posts

Back