Tough weekend!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Wow, this has to be the toughest opening weekend I've had in a long time. We caught fish all weekend but nothing of any size.

On Saturday out of Plunder Bay, there was about 60 boats. There had been 2 previous days/nights of torrential rains. The water temps in the bays was in the mid 70's. Kenny and I ran to 2 spots that had produced really well for us in the tourney last year and didn't get so much as a follower.

So I ran north for smallies. The fog was intense. We couldn't do more than 30 mph and drive by GPS. A lot of guys were going slow and then some yahoo comes running between us all at WOT. DUH!!!! A GPS tells you where land is and where to run. It does NOT tell you if there is a boat in your path. All I can say is that it is good for him I couldn't ID him or we would have serious words at weigh in!

Anyhow, we got onto fish, but nothing of considerable size. We weighed 16 lbs 13 oz for 6 fish and came in somewhere around 12th or 13th. Payouts stopped at 10th. Top bags again came from up north. Figures! LOL

So then yesterday Buzz and I fish the Northern Bass Supply tourney out of Appletree in VT. So I'm excited because we're near my home water. Well first there was significant chop and it was very overcast. I couldn't spot any fish if I was in 3 feet of water. We fished some of my most productive water and couldn't get bit. I think they all moved out. I honestly could not figure it all out. We caught fish, but again, nothing big. Our biggest fish was 3 + lbs.

We weighed in 8 fish for 20.8 lbs, but had a penalty for leaving a grub hook in a fish. That was BS, I don't remember that in the rules and they didn't say anything before the tourney about it. It would have killed the fish had we removed it. So we ended up with 20.5 lbs or so. We came in somewhere around 28th out of 60 boats.

Then on the way home my truck engine startes knocking! HAAAAA! Brand new engine with all the work I did. I give up.

I have a LOT of work to do before this weekend's BFL.

Rob,

Thanks from all of us that stayed at your place. We really appreciated it. Your right about that second day. We couldn't get a decent bite at all on the flats. We waited for 4 other boats to finish fishing the area around the Sail boat before we moved over there. I believe you were one of them. We caught some small smallmouths and one largemouth. We ended up going to the mouth of the little Chazy and caught a 12 lb limit there of large mouth.

We had one guy come in with a 5 lb 14 oz largemouth and a 5 lb 4 oz smallie. The guys that won had all largmouth.

I saw you guys out there and waved as we went by. Where did you end up? How did the other guys end up?

Latest posts

Back