1000 Island BFL recap

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well, I thought I would let you all in on my BFL experience. To date, I have not had a SINGLE good BFL for weather and this one was no different.

I had gone out to Jim's (aka Bassinfool) house a few weeks ago to prefish while fishing a small club tourney he had going on. I had never been in that area of Lake Ontario before and was pleased when I took 4th, especially since Jim won it within sight and the guy who took 2nd was also in sight. I had found my money spot. However, it was a 35-40 mile run for Clayton in the St Lawrence where we were launching and it meant I had to go out into the main lake around some islands to get there.

I knew I needed to find some fish in the river in case the wind blew so I went up to prefish Thursday and Friday. I brought along a friend who is the rec director for Plattsburgh and is in charge of bringing tourneys to Plattsburgh. He is knew to tourneys and started fishing BFL's as a co-angler to better understand the tourney mentality.

Anywho.....I poked around that stinkin river for 2 whole days and all I had to show for it was 1 largemouth about 3 lbs that chased my jig from a boat house right next to the launch (which I knew would be fished HARD by everyone else) a few pike, one small smallie that chased a jerkbait, and my rider got one small largemouth. Nothing really at all.

We fished tons of AWESOME looking structure. We fished humps and shoals that went from 12 feet down to 40 feet. We fished ledges, points, rock piles, boat houses....TONS of awesome looking boat houses and docks, weed beds, and anything else you could think of that normally holds bass.

We fished shallow, deep, fast, slow, big baits, finesse baits. I fished spinnerbaits, top water, jerkbaits, carolina rigs, drop shots, rattle traps, deep diving crankbaits, shallow crankbaits, wacky senkos, and more.......NOTHING!

So when I asked Jim on Thursday night he said, "Oh, don't fish in the river, there's never really any fish in there!" HAAAAA And that's the story I got from all the locals and 95% of the tourney guys at the meeting.

So I had but one choice, I HAD to run to my spot out on the lake. Called my wife during dinner Friday night and the liarchannel.com (aka: weather.com) predicted SW winds at 12 mph. OK, worst possible direction but mild enough that I could make it.

Well as usual, they were WAY, WAY, WAY off! It was SW winds at 25+ mph and when I hit that mouth of the river, I was in 10-12 seas. We would dissappear into troughs and only see water on both sides. All but one other boat that had started heading out with us turned back. I DID make it to my spot.....in 3 hours! I had only 2 hours to fish my spot.

On the first cast, I turned the handle 4 times and BAM.....3.5 lb smallie!

10 casts later, I get a 4+ lb smallie to the boat and it comes unbuttoned. My co-angler (who by the way is a member here, John Foster from Boston...super nice guy) realizes that this is a pretty darn good spot and that perhaps the 2 hours would be adequate.

Now when I had decided to make the run anyway, I did so figuring that the wind would die down. Well it never did. It got worse. John caught 2 small largemouth and lost a big fish. I lost another big smallie and had a big one chase it to the boat. In the protected bay I was in, there were still 4-5 foot rollers. I just could NOT hold the boat on the spot where the fish were.

I still wanted to get John back with his 2 fish as he was in 22nd place for points for the year and only 2 fish on a tough day would probably put him ahead of a LOT of other co-anglers and help him get some points. So I knew I needed gas before going back. We went to a marina to get gas. When I went to pump it, the pump was crawling at a pace that a snail could beat. The lady says, "Oh yeah, we just had the tank filled and the line has air in it.

I pumped for 10 minutes and only got 5 gallons. So we

Rob,

My respect for you has always been at the top... And, that story is why... Above all else... You keep your head... That was the right call...

Rob

I wouldn't ever have a problem fishing with you. Safety above all else. You made the right call.

fatrap

http://www.northernnybassmastersclub.freehomepage.com/

Check out the weights for the river from our tournament Sunday out of Ogdensburg.

Top 4 weights came from Chippewa Bay.

Hey Rob,

When I saw the BFL results I figured you were going out to the lake. When I was up there I knew the lake has my style of fishing but I'm scared to make the run around the point! I've done pretty good in the river, not on my tournament day but I did ok in practice. I fell bad for all your bad luck in the big tournaments & I give you credit for keep going back! Hell I've been in your same situations except I break stuff on my boat! I'm really looking forward to my last tournament the 2 day BFL on champlain, most likely will be last tournament as a boater. I went out Saturday morning with my basshunter boat to a little place & got 1 over 6 lb. on a fluke ended up catching 10 from 1 1/2 to 3 lbs in 3 hours on the fluke & jigs. I'm having more fun fishing my little places Then most of the big places, & yes it was pretty windy here too. I'll talk to you soon. If you are fishing the 2 day you can stay with me if you like.

Mark

Rob, better to live and fight another day. Glad you made it out safely.

Hey Rob:

The right call was made. It was nasty out there. Like I said, that is the worst water i've ever been in. I was not the least bit disappointed. Each one of these tournaments I go to, I look to learn one thing. This time was how to navigate in rough water, and you did one heck of a job. Looks like i'll be up at Champlain next Mon-Thurs. I'll give you a call. I'll bring you a growler of boston's finest brew. Thanks again for getting us back safely.

Dude!! I wish I knew you were fishing it. I'd have dumped my guts to you! There are some $weet spots off Fox, Grenadier and through Chaumont Bay that are a lot closer to French Creek/Clayton Lt. House. The Duck Islands (almost straight out of the river) have produced some 25# sacks of monster brownies (KVD pounded an 896 there and back each day one year), but you can take a beating most every day to do it. The Black River is about as far down as I ventured, though I put in and fished Mexico Bay once just to see. (Caught good fish, but a run I wouldn't ever want to make in a T.) You pegged that river good. Other than pike, the only decent smallie fishing I found was a little shoal behind Wolf Island, the ferry crossing, and at the Lighthouse itself. Peter T. won it one year we fished up there in the river, but he was way up it. The lake is the deal. You head back, let me know. I've got some maps I want to blow the dust off.

P.S. Good job on surviving. That should be an award category for that area of the lake! LOL!

Rob, I think you did the right thing. I've never fished big water like that and if I did I would hope that I would be with you... I'm glad you and your partner are safe.

Bill

Latest posts

Back