New truck!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
So I got a new injection whip (spider) which has the fuel pressure regulator, injectors and all. I figured, better to replace it all instead of just the $50 regulator and like everything else on this truck, have it last only a month and an injector line crack.

So it took me (having NEVER done this before but very mechanically inclined) 1 1/2 hours to disassemble, because I had to label each harness for each sensor.

I had the part in in under 5 minutes and the whole manifold back together and the truck running in an hour. At first I heard an air leak and thought I hadn't tightened the manifold plenum properly but found a vaccum line I had missed. Reconnected and the old beast FINALLY purrs like a kitten. A big, powerful kitten. 242 HP, starts quick, runs clean and very quiet, accelerates quickly and is very responsive. Now I just have to put on my new exhaust manifolds and the chip I'm ordering for another 8-10 HP and I'll be at a solid 250 HP, plenty for that truck and towing. Plus the chip is supposed to give me another 1-2 mpg.

My repair already put me up 2 mpg. I get 19 on the highway when all I got before was 17. I want to see what it does towing.

Now she's in the process of being painted. That is MUCH harder than I originally thought. It's my first paint job. I'm sure I'll screw it up somewhere along the way, but to me.... a run or a little dust in the paint is not visible except for up close. You can see rust a LONG ways off! LOL Now I just have to drive it for the next 5 years to make it pay for itself!

Anyone ever try those new "Tornadoes"? I saw them on an infomercial and immediately dimissed it as a gimmick. But they have them at Autozone now so I can return it if it doesn't work. The theory is that it spins the air going into the injection unit so the fuel atomizes more effeciency and gives you increased gas mileage. If that's so, even if I only gain 1 mpg, it's worth it for me. Anyone using one on a truck or SUV? And what are your results?

K&N will work better than the tornado:) Bout' time!LOL

Now drive that GM like ya' stole it:)

Already has the K&N Tee. Along with Bosch 4 point platinum plugs that have been indexed.

Engine came ported and polished and it has a performance exhaust. Not the max but an add on. My new manifolds will help next week too. I don't want any more HP than 250. That's plenty and any more will cost me more in gas. I want to find the perfect compromise between HP and mileage. I think I'll have it when I'm done.

Save you money Rob. In therory it sounds great but thats the whole Idea of the vortex 4.3? If you have questions about the paint job just ask, there are many tricks that will help with a first time paint job. Most important "If it aint' right paint it white" 2nd the paint job will only be as good as the body work. 3rd if you want it to shine do not paint in bright sunlight,use a light coats. i assune you are going to spray this in your garage if you can create a cross flow venatation system (fan in one window, filter in the other) let that run for about 15 mins before you start and wet the garage flow (it traps dust and overspray)

Good Luck and Have fun

BF

IMHO Don't throw your money at the "Tornadoes" product. You will want to return it.

Also be careful what chip you buy for your motor. Not sure what year your motor is but do a lot of research on the chip before you buy. Many chip manufactures have very generic build chips which are sold for cars & trucks. Meaning the HP, torque curve, & all other setting might not be where you want them. Another thing to look at is the fact that most of the chips will require you to move to premium fuel, which cost more & doesn't always work to your advantage in the MPG game. I have used many chips over the years & I don't think I have ever had one increase my MPG the way they state it does; if you

Latest posts

Back