New Trolling Motor Installed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott left blank

Reaction score
Well, I just installed my new trolling motor on my '96 170TF and I have one thing to say about the process...Nitro must have someone with 6' long arms that are about as big around as a water hose to do all of the work under the bow!!! It was a pain in the arse trying to reach under the bow through the holes where the front panel is!!! It only took about 3 hours of reaching and stretching and grunting to get it installed. Now my arms look like I have been clawed by a lion, but hopefully the new motor will do the job. One word of advice to anyone that plans on installing a new trolling motor on a boat similar to mine...remove the bow light socket before you try reaching under the bow to avoid getting your arms cut and scratched!!!

Scott -

I think most of us that have replaced the troller have gone thru that, ain't it a pain?!?!

Congrats on the new motor

I hear ya!!! You know you can take a rotozip or a dremel and open that access hole a little bit to make things easier!!!

Yup, dremel it out big enough, but so that the plate still covers it. Then try both arms. One is always smaller and fits better. You may have to access it from the the front of the boat, which makes it not much easier. Go to the local highschool and find some senior that has long gangly arms and enough strength to tighten the bolts and pay him $10 to do it!

LOL

I went through that about 5 or 6 weeks ago on my 700LX. IF I didn't have an 8 year old son with skinny arms I'd have never gotten it done.

He was a super help and it became a Dad and Son Project.

Maybe that's what Tracker had in mind... LOL

Well, guys I just got a Minkota Power Drive? Any other advice, Special tools? Tools made? etc to make the Job easyer?

Latest posts

Back