New (to me) 2008 V18

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teds_V18

Reaction score
Hi people,

I just recently purchased a 2008 TV18 with a 90 elpto. Boat runs nice...and looks pretty much new...probably less than 30 hrs. use.

I am upgrading from a 1995 TV17 (riveted) model with a 60 merc. The one thing I really like about the V17 is the tm battery is up front. I bypassed the plug on the front panel and wired the tm pedal directly to the battery...which has way less resistance.

I would like to be able to put the tm battery in the V18 up front, but really don't see a feasible way of doing it short of cutting a hole in the deck and installing a battery compartment.

Is there a reason why most boats now have the tm battery in the rear with the starting battery? Other than convenience of having both batteries together for charging? I know that it is added weight in the front with the tm battery up there...but I would think it would work much better and have less resistance by having the tm pedal wired directly to the battery with 3' of wire as opposed to having 20-30 feet of wire running from the back of the boat to the front.

Anyone do this with their boat? Or is it even worth it? Thanks in advance.

Did you put a breaker between the pedal and battery to prevent shorts and burning the pedal up? Welcome to the looney bin aka forum :D

Welcome. All of my boats have had all batteries in the rear. My latest boat I could mount the TM battery in the front, but would have to increase the length of the onboard charger leads. This boat has the live well up front, normally all have been behind the drivers seat.

Thanks for the replies. I did use a breaker...mounted on the post of the battery, then the tm cable mounts to it.
I have decided to just leave the battery in the back so I don't have to do any mods to the boat.

One other thing about the boat that puzzles me is...there is no cigarette lighter jack on the boat (my V17 has one right there on the dash). I figured most all boats have a cigarette lighter to plug in a spot light, moon light, etc. This is something that I definitely will have to install. I fish a lot at night and need the cigarette lighter jack for my lights.

I haven't seen any on any new boat I looked at. I've put them in on all my boats I've ever had. I use the stainless marine types, not the cheaper ones that rust.

Thanks for the replies. I did use a breaker...mounted on the post of the battery, then the tm cable mounts to it.
I have decided to just leave the battery in the back so I don't have to do any mods to the boat.

One other thing about the boat that puzzles me is...there is no cigarette lighter jack on the boat (my V17 has one right there on the dash). I figured most all boats have a cigarette lighter to plug in a spot light, moon light, etc. This is something that I definitely will have to install. I fish a lot at night and need the cigarette lighter jack for my lights.

Wow no AC power jack on the boat? That just seems unnatural. I mean how are ya supposed to plug in your radar detector? j/k

Thanks again. I will definitely get the marine type.
Wow no AC power jack on the boat? That just seems unnatural. I mean how are ya supposed to plug in your radar detector? j/k

If I put An AC power jack on the boat....I would need a VERY long extension cord.... :) ...or at least an inverter...lol.

So far I really like the V18. It's about 3" wider than my brother's Champion. I'm anxious for him to ride in it...since he's always been a Champion guy.

I happen to think that the TV-18 was a "home-run"... fabulous boat...

I happen to think that the TV-18 was a "home-run"... fabulous boat...

I totally agree Greg. I've been using my V17 since 2006. I have been looking for a V18 for about 4-5 years now. Finally found this one...and it's pretty much like new. Very happy to have it...!

I'm not sure why they dropped the V18, I love it. But when I was looking at them at Bass Pro back in 2010, the V18 was almost $20K, and the Z7 was $23K.

Most Accessory plugs (cig type) need to be beefed up to handle the load of a spotlight. My Ranger came stock with one.

ps.........

Dem Bassus Jusss Luv Sparkles.........Ken Neeley.

The TV 18 as stated is a home run boat. Smooth quiet dry ride in rough water.
It has lots of storage, although not all of is dry, but it is what it is. The low sides
and the way it sits at rest, makes it the most wind resistant aluminum I have ever owned,
and that list is long. The only fault, and I cant find a way to correct it: The boat leans badly
when my fishing partner gets slightly off center on the rear deck. I went to great expense
installing optima sealed batteries centered under the rear fishing pedestal, hoping to
eliminate the lean. It didnt work. I now run 40lbs of ballast in the passenger side battery compartment
to level the boat while running single. When I previously had a battery in that compartment,
the boat would list to that side w/a partner, either at speed or fishing.
This lean is a flaw that I cant over come. Larry in western Ky.

Latest posts

Back