Motor Mounting Bolt / Nut Check!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bourget2

Reaction score
In the past MONTH, I have seen 3 {!} boats that came in for routine service that had DANGEROUSLY LOOSE mounting hardware. I mean, 1/8" GAP between the mounting surfaces. Motor loss, accident, personal property and or severe injury are all distinct possibilities from neglecting to check this on a regular basis.

When checking, please remember to NOT disturb the bolt itself, tighten or check on the NUT SIDE ONLY, because you don't want to break the sealers....and while you are there.....push, pull, shake, and tug your outboard in all directions to make sure she's "tight". On my race boats....you could NOT move the outboard anyway shape or form AT ALL. Production mounts, push-pull steering contribute to a LITTLE play, but that's all. Learn to know what is "right" and too loose on YOUR rig. Your life {and others} may depend on it. BTW.....they were two Tritons and one Stratos, two Mercs and one Johnson. Not that that makes any difference, just citing. :blink:

The following message brought to you by the NTOWS safety committee, Bob B. President.:lol::lol: Read and heed!! Just like an aircraft pilot, you should have a safety checklist you go over EVERYTIME you put your rig in the water. After a while it will become second nature.

TOXIC

To add to the gurus list...might as well lube everything at the same time. I usually do a visual inspection of everything every outing;)

Oh and don't forget to check your JackNuts:lol:

nuts.jpg

:rolleyes:

Good post Bob B. I just checked the motor mounting bolts on a new 115 PRO XS - with about five hours on it - and I could tight them all about an 1/16 of a turn (from the NUT side).

Info like this is why I check the board daily.

Mine is a 2011 Pro Opti 115 as well and I have about 6 hours on it. I would never have checked these at this young age but I'm glad I did, got 3/4 to a full turn on all four nuts!

Thanks Doctor Bob!

Latest posts

Back