My Trolling Motor Install...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I switched out my trolling motor over the weekend...what a pain in the A$$..!! Went from a Minn Kota All Terrain 12 volt to an M.K. Power Drive 24 volt..First off, the mounts are TOTALLY different and none of the holes matched up at all, not to mention the actual mounting position..second, getting the old one off and putting the new one on just sucked on my TV18, absolutely no easy access for my chubby short arms without removing the front deck. My arms are scratched and bloodied, but I managed to get it thru bolted (I won't use those rubber nut things, St Clair tears em up) and looking good. Running the wire was a pain as well, I was going to just attach the new to the old and pull it through, however the old wire was run prior to the blown in foam flotation which cemented it in, thus making it a permanent fixture in my boat (who dreams this stuff up at Tracker..?)..!! And finally, I'm fit to be tied about my trolling motor transducer..! The Power Drive shaft slides through a collar when deploying and stowing, there's no way to cable wrap the transducer cable to the shaft..! I followed the M.K. istructions for affixing my transducer to a tee, I'm not convinced it's gonna work (seems to be alot of loose wire), but we'll see. But I got it done..then consumed the vast majority of a 12 pack of Red Stripe beer (Great Stuff..!), all the time pondering..HOW THE HELL AM I GONNA PLUG THE TWO HOLES ON THE BOW OF MY BOAT FROM THE OLD MOTOR..?!! I will be tackling that this coming weekend...some ideas from those smarter than me would be great...!

The transducer cable will be loose, it wont matter much though, just watch it when you lift or deploy the motor. i sliced a few of em in my days with the original power drive.

As for the holes, just get a plastic cap to snap in there. Check McMaster Carr. A little drop of silicon and insert the cap, you will be fine.

Just relax a little and remember....its just fishing!!!! lol

It's all good Mini, I'm relaxed. I figured the install wasn't gonna be easy, it's the nature of the beast for me..! That's why my beer fridge is always stocked..!LOL. Thanks for the tip on the plastic caps, that's exactly what I was thinking, just wasn't sure where to look.

On a totally unrelated issue..The wife has a job interview tomorrow..they called her to come in an hour after she submitted her resume, so we r considering that a good sign..I don't wanna jinx her, so I won't share details yet..But it's a GOOD solid gig..!

great to hear. seems like things are starting to turn for the better. i know a couple of shop rats that are working overtime now....to me thats usually the first sign.

on another note, i might be fishing with Kim Stricker this weekend. He wants me to show him some crappie fishing on St Clair :)

Thats very cool Mini..I just became his friend on Facebook..Hope u get sum slabs..!

Mini,

Remind Stricker about the Tourney.....I'm gonna call him next week as well.

He said he and his son my fish it when I saw him at the Wonderland Event.

He never called yesterday when I told him to. Oh well.

Ken do you carry his DVD's? You should get him to come to Bassarama

Latest posts

Back