***Caution*** You might want to check these items

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mebassn

Reaction score
About a month ago I started a thread about things for newbies to check prior to launching a boat and so on, Well this past weekend I found a few things on my boat that might have ruined a weekend if not caught (one was not good) First I found my engine mounted oil tank cap cracked(oil slick in water while fishing) so i tried to epoxy it back together(cleaned with acetone prior) well that didn't hold, ended up having oil everywhere again, 35 dollars to replace and all is good. Now for the second thing I found, this one I found while cleaning up the oil, 2 setback bolts were loose, there was a 1/16th inch gap in the plate to motor bracket. I never even thought of checking something like this. Sometimes things you never think of looking at can bite you in the butt if your not careful and properly check your gear periodicly during cleanups and preps.

My boat is a 1999 NX882 with a 1999 Merc XR6 with the factory non-adjustable setback.

Stay safe

Eric H.

Good catch Eric.

When I took delivery of my Tracker, I assumed all was checked out prior to me hitting the water. I was wrong. The large nut came loose that connects the steering cable to the engine. At high speed the nut came loose causing an abrupt change in the boat direction (and a mess in the seat of my pants LOL). It was an easy fix but it could have been disaster. Make sure this nut is tight before taking your boat out.

Bear

Latest posts

Back