motor issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a 2002 mercury optimax 135 on out Nitro 750. About three weeks ago a beeping began, similiar to the alarm when you are planed up too much when running, except this was alarming while sitting still. It continued alarming intermittantly even when engine off but power on. Could not find anything wrong at time. My husband disconnected it for now so hecould fish tournaments. Now the boat will not go past idle speed. The lake he was fishing is idle only so itdidn't matter much. He has taken off the filter in case any h20 got in it with no help. Any suggestion on how to try to figure out if it is the throttle sensor. All cables are good and opening the throttle. Thanks Stephanie

Check the oil tank under the engine cover to make sure it's full.

BF

I am no expert but the times when my engine warning sound came on, I was motoring in too shallow of an area and the discharge was plugged with mud and debris and very little water was discharging. If the boat is out of the water, put the muffs on, attach a hose and turn the engine on. Stick something very small that is pin-like in the discharge hole and wiggle it around. If it is in the water, just start up the engine and carefully try to fish the pin-like device in the discharge hole - don't fall in!

If it starts to discharge water in a steadier stream, that might have been the problem - water wasn't able to go through to cool the engine and then discharge. You will probably need to run the hose for a good few minutes to get the flow going or if the boat is in water, same thing but you can take it out of idle and run the engine for a few minutes.

If I am wrong (and I probably am), someone will add to the post.

Bill, the MadKayaker

If the tell-tale discharge is plugged, use a piece of weed-whacker string. I keep a short piece on my boat, and it has come in handy. I have had bugs climb in and block the opening so with the engine running I worked the line back and forth until the plug was worked free. I even notched some small barbs into the cord to grab onto whatever was in there.

Hi It might be an overheat alarm which will keep the rpms down Find the sensor in the head should be 1 lone wire not sure of the color though. It should be an open curcuit so unplgging it should go away if it is the sensor. The teltell for the water just tells you there is water going through the system. Good luck let us know what you find.

An intermittant alarm is only water in the fuel or low oil. Those engines are knownfor the float going bad in the small oil tank which causes an alarm at "key on" position. If not water in the fuel, check oil level as stated above. if you have full oil, then you will probably need a new tank as the float is stuck

Latest posts

Back