More questions on the new boat.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Fary

Reaction score
Before I ask more questions, I would like to thank everyone for their input on my new boat purchase (new to me anyway). Your input on how my nx882 performs has helped me considerably. Now the questions.....

#1 The speedo still doesn't work! I have cleaned and used air pressure and water from all directions and can't get it unclogged. I have unhooked the hose where it goes from the motor to the boat and tried to blow air and water backwards to clear it. Still didn't work. Is there a fitting somewhere inside the motor or near the bottom of the motor that could be leaking? Any ideas?

#2 I have a 150 xr6 and when I was putting the boat in yesterday, I pumped the primer ball and gas started leaking out of the bottom carb. It stopped leaking when I stopped pumping and didn't leak anymore once the motor was running.

#3 When I first start the motor, the 'pee' stream just sputters. When I give the motor some throttle, the pee stream is strong. After I run some and then stop to idle, the pee stream at idle is still strong. Is this a problem or normal for the 150 xr6 motor?

thanks,

bryan

Bryan, I can't help on the first two, but as to your third question, the XR6 has a thrmostat that controls the flow of cooling water. Until the motor warms up, the "pee" stream will just sputter. Once the motor gets hot enough, more cooling water is needed, so your pee stream will be stronger. This is normal, so you don't need to be concerned. Your XR6 is doing what it's supposed to do.

When you primed the ball, was your motor tilted, or hanging vertically?

On the speedo, check to see if the pitot hole on the lower unit is clogged with mud, wood or debris. Take a good sized hook and straigten it out. The pitot hole will be a notch, on the front edge of the lower unit, between the point of the bullet and the cavitation plate. It's almost like a tiny hunk of metal was taken out of the front edge.

Using the point of the hook, gently insert the hook into the hole and twist a bit. If you can't get the hook in past the barb, your pitot is plugged. This happened to me, so I can also help you get it cleaned out if necessary. Just write back and I'll tell you what I did.

When I pumped the ball, the motor was tilted in the up position. The gas appeared to come out of the bottom of the lower carb, not sure on that though.

I have taken a drill bit and cleaned out the intake of the speedo on the lower unit. it is squeaky clean. I am thinking that where it turns and goes up the motor is clogged as well, but don't know how to unclog that. As I said in my earlier post, I have tried to flush it out from the top side of the motor without success. I guess I could put another speed pickup on the transome, but I really don't want to do that.

thanks,

bryan

Bryan

When the motor is tilted up all the way gas will run out of the carbs. When you pump the bulb you are filling the float bowls with gas and it will leak if the motor is tilted. I normally wait until i have the boat in the water and the motor tilted down before i pump the bulb. Im not too sure on the speedo. i would think that if the pito isnt clogged then it should work. is there a pinch in the line somewhere? i would also check under the dash and make sure its connected at the gauge.

#1 Detach the line from the back of the speedometer next time you are out. Position the hose so its pointed at you and take off. You'll know when it is unclogged. It can come detached from the lower unit up, so check above the lower unit and make sure it is connected. My experience with all of my speedometers, is they don't work. If it appears to be working then it is fixing to get clogged again. It will soon be a waste of your time due to other factors.

#2 Gas will come out of the carbs if the engine is tilted as stated above. If there is no spilled gas inside the cowling then something is wrong, or it was all washed out, or still too new. It just happens

#3 Sputtering water flow at idle is normal at first, but should be a steady flow after a few minutes.

Have fun and good luck.

Latest posts

Back