Minn Kota trolling motor issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey gang:

Picked up and tested out the new (to us) Deck Boat for the family this weekend. Its a 2004 Lowe 192TH with fishing chairs in front and plenty of room for the family in back. Basically, its to keep the wife happy so I can upgrade the PT175 in a couple of years! :lol::lol:

Anyhow, yesterday was first long run (Saturday's run was cut short due to bimini top mounting issue I had to resolve first). When I went to lift the Minn Kota 65 foot-controlled trolling motor near my favorite fishing hole, I grabbed the head of the unit to help lift it and the casing cracked in my hand. It disconnected the steering cable, because the pedal now moves back and forth freely and doesn't swivel the motor.

Its off the boat now and I plan on tearing into it this week. Before I do, any words of wisdom? Is the motor complete FUBAR or can I reattach the cable and epoxy the head case? Just what do I screw up? I hope its repairable, because I doubt there's room in the budget for a new $500 plus trolling motor! And I thought Minn Kotas would have been more durable!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

hmmmm, do ya have a manual? Or maybe go online to minn kota and get one. anything to help, that sounds like a problem, but anything can be fixed or bandaided to me, I would do what you said, epoxy it, hook up the steering cable again, splice it if ya have to, good luck, let me know how ya make out

Jim C, It's fixable, you can epoxy the case but the replacement part is not that expensive. When I patched mine back together I had no choice but to use a marine epoxy and black tape to hold it together. This lasted until I could get the part I needed and fix it right. I think I spent more time trying the get the direction pointer back in sink than I did anything else.

BF

Jim - Fixable. The case top was $12.00 when I replaced mine. Had it about three days from Minn Kota. If you need the $12.00 let me know and I will give you a loan. LOL

Latest posts

Back