Minn Kota - can't get it to 'release'

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Ok. I had my Minn Kota trolling motor repaired last summer, before I moved. Unfortunately, the guy showed me at the repair shop how to put the release rope back on, but I must have done something wrong. Been having this problem now.

Can put the motor down fine. Locks in place. But I have a hell of a time getting it to release - and to allow me to lift the motor back onto the bow.

I've obviously got something routed incorrectly, somewhere - or something else is happening.

Any body out there got a clue?

Tex

Did you try pushing down on the trolling mtr bracket and then pulling the rope? If the frame is twisted a little this will help. Putting the rope back is pretty straight fwd. Through the hole in the frame over the pivot pin. thorugh the hole in the release rod and the double knot so it won't pull through. As a side not I have found starting cord for Sthil works better and last longer than the factory rope..

BF

Carlos,

This will probably do it for me, but if I run into a further problem, I'll holler back about the pic's. Thanks also for the tip on the rope.

Now that you mention it, I did not try the 'push down' trick - but should have. Been so long, forgetting the basics.

Tex

Tex,

Just get in the habit of putting your foot on the top of the bracket(push down/pull rope) when you want to pull up your motor. It makes it a LOT easier even when everything works fine. Also a lot less wear and tear on your TM.

TOXIC

Well, once again - go to the experts here and they have a solution. Worked great. First time to have a Minn Kota in a very (very) long time. Went out to the dock, climbed aboard, applied foot to bracket and 'click' - up it came. :p

Tex

Put a little lube on the pin and contact points. It worked for one of mine that acted that way. Didn't seem like there was much to lube but it worked.

the reason it sticks is because the bolts holding it down are torquing the bracket and making it out of square and/or flat. If you tighten all the bolts to the same tourque spec AND (and this is an important AND) the mounting surface is flat, it will work fine. If its not flat, try messing with different torques on different bolts until you can get it square/flat again. it will work without having to push down on the mount.

Also a little lube never hurts :)

Mini

Yeah. I can just see me trying to get a torque wrench in under the front deck of my boat. I just can barely get my arm in there now! However, the point is well taken. I'll see if I can figure out if one or more are not as tight as the others. Will also try a little 'lube'.

Appreciate the tips.

Tex

Tex, also make sure the rope is around the pivot pin like bruce mentioned. Its used kind of like a pulley to get the rope to pull straight on the release latch. I put mine back on once with the rope going straight from the hole to the release eye bolt. I had a bear of a time getting it up from stowed, into the water worked fine. Like you i had to step on the mount to get it out of the water.

You dont actually have to use a torque wrench, just go by feel. It will make all the difference. I do know its more important on a MG than MK but it will help.

Mini

Latest posts

Back