Maybe a silly question - Towing a boat

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Well this may sound like a silly question, a house I am thinking of buying has a steep driveway that I would have to back the Ranger up in. It's curvy and steep.

Question:, is it bad or can it damage my truck by reversing up the steep driveway with the Ranger in tow? Driveway is about 300' long

Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi

Thanks,

CJL

You can avoid that tow risk by sending the boat to me.... LOL

Except for the angle issue which you will have to "try" (first time at the base of the drive where the hill part starts) to see that the motor does not hit... Backing up a long distance at an angle should not be an issue. Just make sure any braking mechanism is disconnected while backing

Greg, I'm about ready to send it to you, actually my wife is, since one of the criteria for the new house purchase is, the Ranger needs to fit in the driveway but prefer the garage, the road needs to be wide enough etc. , etc.

The realtor thinks my wife is crazy when she goes and looks at houses and is standing in the road eyeing the driveway and such. :lol:

The trailer does have a electric reverse mechanism to disengage the brakes when you shift into reverse.

CJL

I doubt you will hurt he truck but it might be tricky to make it work. I do it all the time at my sisters cottage on Newfound lake in NH. The hill there is wicked steep, i actually have to use low range 4wd to be able to back up the hill otherwise i just spin the tires. The other problem i have is the brakes. Even though i have the electric free backing it seems like there is still enough pressure to activate the brakes some on that hill. I actually bought a brake lockout bracket from UFP that goes in the actuator where the pin slides to keep it from working when i back up that hill. The dial on top of the actuator wouldnt work because i had to set it on level ground and pull forward. The dial would auto reset and once the actuator was compressed a little i couldnt turn the dial. the lockout bracket works great.

Chris - Forget Greg, you don't want that boat stored up north all winter, my 40ft deep garage has more then enough room on the other side from my Nitro to keep it for ya!!!

Those are some very good points to look at when buying a house. My next house I want a drive through garage and a tow vehicle to leave hooked to the boat in a garage. Clark

LOL @ Clark, that's a good idea :huh:

I also never knew that my current house has custom garage doors, the single bay doors measure 109" width, so my Dodge Ram fits easily inside, as I look a perspective houses I notiecd the doors are a lot narrower, the realtor informed me most garage doors are only 8' wide :wacko:

I have to pull mine in around my house because it's a single drive right next to the house so I pull in and unhook the boat and push it back in. No way could you back it...well ya' could but, it'd take ten tries...I know:huh:

CJL

With a driveway that long, maybe the best thing to consider is the possibility of clearing out a turn around area off the driveway closer to the house.

Paul

Chris

I have a driveway that has anlgles much like a ski ramp. It is a royal pain to back up the driveway. Especially at night and when I'm tired. The skill level develops with practice but it's always the first thing on my mind when going fish. "If I go fishing that means I have to back that sum bi%$# back up the drive."

Just my thoughts. I yearn for a flat driveway.

Fatrap

Not me, not worth it.

Personally, I believe that you will be cussing that driveway everytime you want to bring it back in. Also remember this. When you come back in, you will likely be tired. Always more difficult to do. Another question to ask yourself:

How easy will it be to back up the boat (up the hill), when it's dark?

Just giving you some other things to think about.

Tex

Thanks for the input on this subject, I am pretty good at backing up curved driveway's, my current drive is curved and has a slight incline, the one (below) actual house I am considering has an "S" curve to the driveway, I was more concerned with the steep incline and it's effect on the tow vehicle and trailer, not much room to create a turnaround since it's on a mountain side.

See picture, I love this house it was completley custom made, never saw anything like it inside before.

CJL
hr3526509-0.jpg

It's a beautiful house on a great property.

But I'm not backing a boat up there, every time I use it. Just personal preference.

Tex

Tex,

What about driving up the drive and then backinto that flat part and leaving it there, that is unless the Septic tank or feild is right there.

I'd make me a turn around up there on that flat spot where the turn off is to get to the back yard if it was me.

With a driveway that long, maybe the best thing to consider is the possibility of clearing out a turn around area off the driveway closer to the house.

Chris,

Another thought (dumb me) is a hitch on the front of the truck (I have one that I use periodically for tight ramps and other situations). It is probably very easy to "push" that trailer up that hill. You have great control and don't have a wheel slip issue.

LA,

Yeah I guess, I would like to go south, could probably pay cash for a house, or have a small mortgage, but it would be tough on the extended family I guess.

Next month I will be homeless if I don't find a house. :eek:

LA, if I stay in Jersey (99.9%) sure. We should hook up next Spring for some Smallie fishing or Hybrid fishing.

CJL

Don't sweat it, tired or not after 20 or 30 times up the drive it will be like second nature. If it's not go from there and make a gravel turnaround or something else to assist. Greg has a great idea about the front hitch. You might have to rig something to disengage the brakes if you do not have the manual override. As for backing up, reverse is a granny low gear and it won't hurt the truck a bit, go slow.

TOXIC

Clark - i'm 90% to your "I want a drive through garage and a tow vehicle to leave hooked to the boat in a garage." 35 feet deep drive through garage, concrete slad behind the house/garage, 2 bays. I it was just a few feek longer I could back in the Nitro and never unhook it! or if it towed with a Jeep Wrangler instead of a minivan!! LOL

Another thought (dumb me) is a hitch on the front of the truck

I was thinking the same thing Greg.

Whatsup Chris? Hope your family has a great holiday!

I would be more concerned about who is gonna cut the grass? LOL Your Dodge will not have a problem backing up that incline. But Greg mentioned a great idea.... Some sort of hitch on the front will make it much easier to navagate....

I like the porch on the house..... I can just imagine your family sitting there laughing at you as you try to back that boat to the garage.....

Good Luck

Mike

CJL: Nice House.

Now, concerning the backing up. The worst thing for an automatic (assuming it is) is backing up an incline, long distance with a load. The transmission will heat up EXTREMELY fast. I have known MANY transmissions that have died because of this. This is usually backing up with a tractor or bobcat, and usually (no brand war here) a Ford 4R100.

You can help by installing a LARGE tranny cooler (even if you already have one), and a tranny temp gauge. I had one in one of my last trucks and even when backing up with a utility trailer loaded with furniture the gauge really shot up.

If I were you, I'd try really hard to try to figure out some other solution than backing up that driveway.

Another suggestion would be to enlarge your parking area near the house then you can drive the boat up and turn it around. It appears the lot is big enough that you could come up with an alternative driveway solution. Get an asphalt guy in there ask him give you some suggestions on the best way to set the driveway up to accommodate your boat situation. For about $4K expanding the driveway by 20 X 30 near the house would be a very reasonable cost to eliminate the stress involved in trying to back up that drive and it will add value to the home. I did the exact expansion after I built my house in 97 and it made a big difference for me parking the boat. Once my son started driving it gave him a nice parking spot out of the way so no one had to jockey cars in the am.

Cass :D

I like Cass's idea the best. It could double as a basketball court for you and the kids.

Chris, are you still at the same old address?

Harpo

Harpo, Yes I am at the same address still in the process of selling, if all goes good we should be out and homeless by Mid January, I have to make a decision very quick, I can get a decent house on a prime cul-de-sac location see below, but I think I'm paying a premium, however the house is vacant and move in condition. The property is perfect for the boys but I myself would prefer the brown custom home with the wrap around porch (above post). But the Cass idea probably would not work becuase the property is on a hill, my wife don't like the broan house because it's on a main country road with a hill for a driveway, she thinks it would not be kid freindly. She's probably correct, but then again the boys are going to be climbimg the mountain behind the house anyway.

Decisions UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

hr3500786-1.jpg

I'm with Cass. How much property do you have to work with on the driveway side? It would solve your concern/stress about backing.

That is an awesome house. There is no way I would let getting the boat up that driveway be the determining factor in purchasing that home. You will figure out the best way to get that Ranger up there.

Latest posts

Back