1500 or 2500.... Hmmm....

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting that 4 year itch again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my current truck, besides the fact that I absolutely hate the seats in it.

History -

1995-2002 Nissan 4x4, Chevy Van, Chevy Blazer. (Liked it, Really liked it, Loved it)

2003 Dodge Ram 2wd - Loved it. Great truck. Great seats. Comfortable. Strong.

2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 - I needed the 4x4, so I got it. Like it. Nice truck. Hate the seats. Decent comfort. Slightly worse gas mileage. Currently driving it and it does "what I need it to do" (tow, 4x4 off-roading to hunt, etc...)

So I went check out the 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4 Laramie tonight. Niiiiiiice truck! HOWEVER - I have no freakin' idea what Dodge did to it, but the ground clearance absolutely sucks. I know I'd rip off the front air dam and part of the bumper where I go hunting.

My wife sat in a 4x4 2500HD Laramie, "just to check it out", and fell in love with it. I did too. Nice height. The most comfortable truck seats I've ever sat in. Really good looking.

Two things - We don't really NEED a 2500, as I don't tow that much (but might be talked into buying a 5th wheel trailer if we just "happen to own it". :p , and secondly - it's a diesel, which I've never owned.

Now, my buddy tells me that his 2500HD gets high 20+ MPG, which is amazing to me, as I can barely scratch 14mpg in my 1500, but he also said it costs him well over $100 to fill up every time he goes to the pump. Diesel is over $3.25 a gallon here, so I'd be paying .25 or more cents per gallon for diesel over gas. But if the diesel gets better mileage... I guess it all works out.

What say's the board? Buy a new 1500 and lift it, or just buy the 2500???

All the best,

Glenn

Tell you what man..I have a diesel with the damn DPF (2009 GMC 2500) and the mileage is killing me. I get on the highway 20ish and around town 15ish.... My 03 GMC was 23 highway and 18 town... So, for me right now with the price of diesel it is NOT paying off with the hostage taking they have going on for the price of diesel. I think they fixed the DPF problem with the newer diesels by using the urea, but still you are taking a .25 hit every gallon.......now you have a math problem. .25 multiplided by 26 gallons multiplied by by two fillups per month.....

Now, with all that stated, I absoutly LOVE my truck.....diesel and all and I am just fortunate that I can afford the extra for diesel!

But, if I was in the market now, I would be considering a GMC 2500 in gasser at this time is all.

Carlos

PS hit neeley up for information on his Doege.

I too went diesel this time around, but if I had to do over I'd look real hard at a gasser again, not only is the fuel higher so is the oil changes.

But I do like the power and torque, don't even no the Z7 is behind the truck, except when you stop for fuel.

Don't forget to add into the equation the extra cost of maintenance for an oil burner. More oil, more batteries to replace, additives for winter, summer and every tank. Better MPG can only make up for so much. Y'all are making me pretty happy I went with a 2500 gasser. High gas prices will hit everyone but if you NEED a diesel, you NEED a diesel. Pulling boats generally does not require one. A 5th wheel on the other hand might. No matter how I worked the numbers when I got my truck, they just never came out on the side of a diesel.

TOXIC

You know... I never thought of it last night... But they make the 2500 HD in a 5.7 Hemi too. Dang. Another choice! Thanks for the info so far. I hadn't thought of additives and increased maintenance costs. That adds a lot to the equation. I had "new truckitis" last night, so I left the lot sooner than planned. I knew that if I had stayed longer, I probably would have a new one in the garage right now. I'm going to avoid going to the dealership for quite a while until I research this further.

My wife suggested just getting new front seats for my 07. There she goes being practical and logical again! Sheesh! :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Additives are not needed so often to really play into the issue, I would assume the trade off is there as you put in your gasser tank as well???

Oil is also a bit more, but not that much more when you have the Duramax. I use 2 gallons vice the 4 plus other diesels use as well, but go to 5k per oil change vice the 3k or so on a gasser.

If the prices drop to be equal or so to gas, the value is back there. But when 25 to 30 more per gallon, ouch!

HAH on new front seats Glenn!!!

Glenn,

My .02-buying a new truck and then lifting it is like buying an underpowered outboard and adding a hydrofoil to try to compensate. You are only putting a band aid on the underlying problem. Regardless of fuel, get the truck that will do what you need when you drive it home.

Carlos,

I do all of my own maintenance, and everything I own has had Amsoil in it. I'd probably do the same with a diesel too, which means I'll spend a buttload every time I have to change the oil.

The only additives I ever put in my gas trucks is Amsoil Pi, and I don't do it that often.

The trucks I have been looking at are all Dodge's. Going through a buying program for it, which gives me quite a bit of a discount. I think we can do it on Fords too, but I'm just not keen on a Ford right now. The Chevy's - Well... I'm on the fence about them. I didn't really like what I saw the last time I looked at new Chevy trucks (looks and sticker price), but it's been almost a year.

g8rmac,

Yeah, that's what's been on my mind too. I'm totally in agreement with you. I just hate to spend extra on the 2500HD if I don't need it, which I really don't.

All the best,

Glenn

Do the new Dodges have to use the Diesel exhaust fluid like the Ford and GM's do? If so add the cost of that in there also.

BF

Diesel "exhaust fluid"??? :wacko: Is that something like "headlight fluid" ? :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

All of the new diesel pickups use DEF, or urea, as do most of the heavy duties that I deal with every day of the week. it has ups and downs, but the mileage has came up a bit with it.

for what its worth, I really like my duramax, but im pulling a 36 feet fifth wheel camper and my boat behind that.......heavy and very long

I drive a gasser with a bowtie, so I'm not any help. Just wanted to say good luck however you decide. ;)

i got a 2009 1500 dodge ram with the hemi, and tow my 189 sport, but also a 6k pound travel trailer. Its"ok" for towin that, but i'm goin to a diesel as well in the future to goto a 5th wheel. A buddy of mine has a 2010 GMC sierra with the 5.3l and a 28' 5th wheel, and said its horrible towin it with a gasser. He said that 5.3 barely makes it up the big hills, hes also lookin at a diesel as we speak.

Those duramax's sure are nice, when are they gonna figure out that they don't need a Urea system? That stuff is expensive, and more maintennace. A friend of mine works at a diesel shop and says the fords and chevys have issues with that system all the time, and up here alot frozen urea tanks need replaced. hopefully they get that figured out. the duramax allison tranny is a sweet set up:cool:

Kinda glad i got mine pre Urea...

2011-01-06_15-28-39_730.jpg

Latest posts

Back