Marine service center business

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
Let me throw this one out to the group. I have lived on a 12,000 ac lake in Illinois for 2 years now and I just pulled my deckboat back up north 2 hours to have it winterized again this year at my "trusted" boat mechanic's shop I had used for the previus 10 years because I have not found a single service tech or business around here that even comes close to the level of expertise and service found at my old place. I am still amazed that this area seems to have a severe shortage or complete lack of boat sales/service/parts location. Every place looks like Fred Sanford's yard both in/out of the building and they seem to have little interest in building new customer bases.

Here is my question. I am pretty handy and do alot of work myself. I am an mechanical engineer by eductation so the technical stuff is not a problem either. My current problem is that I have a normal career with limited time to do my own service. My wife and I keep talkig about why don't we re-create what my old service place has up north, but down here. A nice marine service center with parts and boating equipment sales. Has anyone on the forum either done this or thought about it and can give me some comments to think about? Also are there training centers in the US where you can get trained/certified for the both outboards and sterndrives? This is just a wild thought at this time, but curious to hear some feedback both pro/con.

The reason you see the "Fred Sanford" looking places is that anything to do with the marine industry is low profit, high cost. When you factor in environmental issues, insurance, cost of parts, cost of training and staying current on that training, labor, brick and mortar costs, and most importantly the exposure you have to the economy.....lets not forget boating is still a recreational sport and one of the first to suffer when the economy suffers......all add up to a pretty long row to hoe. The junky places usually have the land paid off and can eek a living wage out of small margins. IMHO.

TOXIC

plus they get by working on and fixing ooold stuff.....pre-oil/fuel injection. anything newer than 19 years or so is going to require certified trained tech's with all the latest tools, parts and experience.

Same reason you don't see many back yard mechanics any more.....modern engines, electronics and trannies and fuel systems require too much high-tech equipment (both diagnostic and tools) to be fixed by "Larry the Carb Guy".....they need to go to authorized service centers! "Larry" can do wonders with your dad's 1965 evinrude,...but he'd just scratch his nether regions if he pulled the cover off your Opti!!

Just like automobiles, Shadetree mechanic days are about gone. (I use the term and apply it to myself, so no disrespect intended). Knowledge and learning skills aside, its the dam cost of test and diagnostic equipment more than anything. Its also a very tough road to strike out on your own: I would advise you to have savings to live on for at least a year, assuming the business will not clear a dime for at least that long, and probably longer. Its an increasingly difficult task to succeed at small business these days, but, if you forge ahead, I wish you all the luck and prosperity!

Heck my Opti Max has to be put to sleep with a computer. My old Nitro I could winterize it on my driveway in an hour.

fatrap

I'm with Pondscum on the money issue. Times like these are when small business startups fail more frequently. Times like these are when folks forego maintenance-perventative and required. If you can afford to pay yourselves and possibly lose your investment, go for it and fill the niche you see needs filling.

If you are not ready to invest 70,80 or 100 hours a week it will not work. Yes there are training centers in the US to get you certified and sell you all the special tools you will need. You will also need a building, inventory, insurance and good help. You will need to steal a good tech to start with and pay him or her well. As for the Fred Sanford look, it will come with time because people will tell you to fix stuff they can not afford. You would be better off with a Mom and Pop Tackle store after you retire.

Just my opinion.

BF

Its funny you complain about finding you have to go north for a good marine shop. I live in northern Illinois and one of my favorite shops, Klauser Marine, is down by you.

Or go see Berquist Marine in Crystal Lake, IL

But, otherwise you're right about the Fred Sanford shops.

Back