Lookin for info on boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Olk

Reaction score
Im lookin into buy a 1990 tracker nitro 185tf with workin 150hp motor and trailer for $3200. I was wondering if this is a good price? everything works on it and is in excellent shape. I have had it out on the lake. Plus is there anything else i should look for before buying it? any comments will be helpful. thanx

"Plus is there anything else i should look for before buying it?" any comments will be helpful. thanx....Heres a few Triton,Ranger,Stratos,...:cool:

Other than the obvious....clean and kept up (age appropriate wear and tear), make sure everything works, test her in the water and have a good mechanic check the motor. Thump the belly for soft spots or dull thuds. Take a good look at the transom and don't forget to go over the trailer.

TOXIC

It appears that you have checked it over, you can take it to a dealer and let them check it over, normally for a small fee.

@ NADA.com

Base Price Low Retail Average Retail

$3,730 $4,210

TOTAL PRICE $3,730 $4,210

cq

I don't understand Tim. Does your post mean he should be looking at 1990 Tritons, Rangers, and Stratos' over the Tracker he's already found? Are you going to start jumping all over Trackers/Nitro's again?

Dano, i would do pretty much what Tox said. Take it out and water test it. Have a mechanic look it over, check compression on the motor, make sure there is no water in the lower unit, make sure it runs properly etc. Checking the transom for flex is key, also look for cracks in the gellcoat in the transom area. Sometimes paying a mechanic can be money well spent when it comes to this stuff. If the owner is unwillling to let you have it checked out, walk away.

Uncle Billy, I guarantee that Tim's post is another anti tracker/nitro thing. You know the drill, he owns a triton now so tracker makes nothing but junk.....

Jim, he'll start a big fight and then fade away again for awhile. If I remember he had a lot of trouble with his Tracker but that didn't stop him from selling his problems to someone else.

I wish Rich would toss this character.

Uncle Billy

Poke around the floor to check for soft spots. Especially in the corners, and under the seats.

Needing new wood and carpet isn't the biggest problem in the world, but it is something you should know about beforehand.

And as somebody said before about it being a good price. If it is worth it to you, then it is a good price.:)

Buying a used anything is a roll of the dice, hopefully you get a good one.;)

Steve

Dano, sounds like you've already done what most of us have suggested. Take Toxic's advice and have a mechanic give the motor a good once over. Consider it insurance.

Tim, so you don't like Tracker/Nitro products? Fine, it's a free country. You are entitled to your opinion. Now take your opinion, and that other thing that all of us have,(you seem to be more blessed with the a$$ part than most), and go somewhere that you are welcome.

BruceM

Dano - If you have not already checked the transon here are a few ideas:

1. on the trailer with the boat secured, trim the motor down and stand on the cavitation plate and bounce up/down and look for any flex in the transom.

2. Also on the trailer, back out a screw in the transom (for a transducer or such) and look for water comming out when you pull the screw and if the screw is rusted. Just have a good tube of silicone to reseal the screw when you put it back in. I've been told if water comes out especialy if its rusty/dark it means there is water in the transom into the wood in the transom which will over time cause flex and problems.

3. on the water, if you haven't already, check all the switches, pumps and electronics, including the bildge. If its water tight, find a way to get water into the bildge (can do it on the trailer at home with a hose) to make sure the bildge pump works.

4. If you can have a mechanic check the motor out and compression. Also look at the trailer, check the back of the wheels to see if there is grease all over the back, if so the seal is blown and will need a new seal and possible new races and bearings.

5. If it runs good, looks good, fits your cash budget - buy it!!

Trep,.....regarding your item number 1.,...Let's suppose you were selling your 700LX and you had no problems with the boat during your ownership.....What would you do if some clown did that to YOUR boat,...and all of the sudden it DID crack?? :eek:

I don't know about anyone else,...but if someone wants to climb up on my cavitation plate and start jumping up and down,......they're going to get a 2x4 across the forehead!!!:angry::wacko: That's just BEGGING for trouble ....IMHO!!

Mac - I couldn't agree more. One more reason why I have a ladder on the back of my 896. I know you can stand on your cavitation plate and use the trim to haul yourself back in the boat if you fall out but I wouldn't want to chance it. Plus, I am a whole lot bigger than Trep and undoubtedly pull the engine away from the transom. LOL

OK i've read that on more then one website (bassboatcentral.com, bashfishinghomepage, and I swear more then one person on this site has suggested it) as a method to check the structural rigidity of the transom for flex. I'm not talking Mac or Mini doing a JUMP off the back of a truck onto the cavitation plate, but get on it, and bounce a bit to see if there is flex. If i'm wrong, correct me please.

So Mac and Bill - Buying a 15+ yearold boat, what suggestions do you have for checking if the transom is solid? Maybe i'm just repeating an urban legend i've read too many times.

From other sites "Trim the motor all the way up,grab the lower unit,push down on it watch the transom at the edges at the splash well for flex.", "The easiest method is to grab the motor while tilted up and push up and down on it. If you have alot of play, the transom is in question. "I can tell you it aint no fun. The BEST way to check for transom flex is to tilt the engine slightly and stand on the skeg and bounce on it. Don't be afraid to do this as it will more closely duplicate the stress an outboard puts on it....."

Sorry if I provided incorrect information, guess you can't trust everything you read on the internet!!! LOL:D

Pushing and pulling to check for flex is one thing,......but "jumping up and down" on the cav plate would get you a free trip to the trauma ward!! Again,........what would you say if you jumped up and down on someone's plate and the transom cracked???..."OOOOps,...sorry dude,...looks like you have a weak spot in your transom,......sorry, but I'll just pass and look for another boat!!??"....Uhhh...I think you'd be VEEERRRYYY pissed off!!!!

I know if someone did that to YOUR boat and then tried to weasel out of buying it AFTER they broke it,....you'd have "issues" with that person!!

Pushing and pulling is fine.......jumping on the cav plate is suicide by lumber!!:wacko:

Mac - First look at my post I said "bounce up/down " not " "jumping up and down". So what I'm hearing is "Do not stand on the plate and bounce, but tilt the motor up and push/pull looking for flex"?

Just trying to get it right, so I don't pass on poor advice.

Yes,..."pushing and pulling" is fine,.................but all I'm saying is the first person that climbs up on my cav plate and even "bounces" is going to get knocked off of it......that's just ridiculous. You'll know what I mean if someone tries to do that to your boat!! AND,..God forbid it DOES crack or break......WHO's liable???

Trep - Didn't mean no disrespect to you and your comment, but I don't want anybody standiing, let alone jumping up and down on my engine. I busted a skeg (through stupidity on my part) and cast aluminum is NOT that strong to withhold someone jumping up and down. It may help show defects in the transom but wreaks havoc on the lower unit. As Mac related, pushing and pulling is an alternative method to looking at the transom, but since you want to take the boat in for a mechanical test (engine) ask the technician to look at the transom rigidity (or lack thereof).

Urban legend or not I don't want a 300 pound Bubba jumping up and down on my engine cavitation plate. In fact, I don't want him jumping up and down on my deck either. LOL

While my opinion may not be humble (IMHO?), it is my opinion and welcome any other comments.

I undestand Mac, just trying to balance with the info i've read on other sites.

Now i'll bet you'll let me bounce on your cav plate, heck you'd be fine with me and my kids up there!!! LOL

Seriously it sounded like a good idea from reading other folks checking. I guess the idea is pushing/pulling is only a limited amount of "pressure" and for a 150+ outboard pushing the 18-21ft boat through the water, you can't sit behind the boat as it runs to see if the transom flexes, but I see your point on damage if something happens.

Yes,...having met you in person, Trep...I WOULD let you on the cav plate.........I've got worm weights and jigs that weigh more!! J/K!!!:p

But also remember,....when your boat is in the water and you stand on the cav plate, the whole back of the boat sinks down and the forces and stresses are spread out over the whole width and a portion of the length of the hull, and the water itself will dissipate some of the stress. The same forces are not in play if you would do that on a boat that's sitting on a trailer. The entire force is put on the engine mounts, trim cylinders, and transom....and some on the hull and bunk boards....it's deffinitely NOT the same as if it was in the water.

Push and pull all you want,...but leaving the bouncing for a trampoline!!

Carry on Grasshoppa!! ;)

Mac

Hey Mac - So when is the new S&T site comming up, and when can we see the BPS stuff on the racks and website!!

Your guess is as good as mine!!! Hard to find good help these days! ( GOOD help that speaks english anyway!!):rolleyes:

S&T has dropped down a notch on my priority list lately.......other things going on.

All right start the poll to see how long before all hell breaks loose on Mac's English comment.;)

Just wait untill Mac is required by law to draw up "escalas y cuentos" cartoons. ;)

Steve

Trep's Transom Tester

fat_guy.jpg

Mac, I'll be over in a little while to check out your Ranger.

:lol::lol::lol:

Harpo

Harpo.....I've seen what you can do to a buffet line!!! I'll PAY you to just push and pull!!:lol:

Say Hi to Andy for me!!;)

I suggest hiring a helper to jump on the cavitation plate, that way you can see if it will crack and the helper gets the 2x4 instead of you. :huh:

CJL - Hey, are you doing anything next weekend? I need you to jump on my cavitation plate!

LOL

Mac....I'll be sure to tell Andy that you said Hi. You wouldn't recognize him now. He's practally a grown man. He's slightly taller than me and still going. I was really proud of him yesterday...he's got an old Mercedes that always got something wrong with it. This time the rear window wouldn't go back up. I was sure it was going to be a trip to the shop and another 200 bucks down the hole but I came home and he had pulled the door panel and figured out the problem with the window regulator and had it back working. :wub: He's still fishing witht the rod you personilized for him.

Just so everybody is clear...the picture IS NOT ME. I'm a pretty big guy but not that big. Mac's right about the buffet line...I do get my money's worth. The owner of the Chinese buffet I go to has a special name for me; "That guy that keeps coming back". ;):lol:

Harpo

Dano - Sorry for all the other stuff that happened in your post but we kinda get off track some times. Don't let this deter you from posting again! LOL

Nothing like a hijacked thread to get things going real good. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Dano.:)

Harpo

Latest posts

Back