Boat has been sitting. What maintenance do I need to do?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvin Roberts

Reaction score
All,

I have a 1996 Nitro 170TF which has been sitting for a three to four years. I’ve got the fishing fever again and a little more time then I used to. It has the Tracker 115 on it with BayStar hydraulic kit. I removed the prop today because it got bent on my last trip to the river. I am hoping it can be repaired (Quicksilver Laser 2 26P). I also need to buy two new batteries. What else should I do to get this boat back ready to go? I’ve never changed oil in the foot or anything like that and not sure if I need to or not. Anything else recommended?

Most definitely change the oil in the lower unit. Keep a eye on the water pump pee hole, look for strong flow. Changing the impellor out would not hurt. Run some Marine Sea Foam thru it.

You're probably going to have to drain the gas tank and clean or rebuild the carbs if it has carbs. Change any fuel filters, separators and drain the fuel lines. Put the fogging oil in the cylinders before cranking for sure.

Recommend you invest in a "Seloc Marine Repair Manual 1416: Mercury 2.5-275 HP Outboards 1990-2000".

Attachments

• 1416_medium.jpg
    1416_medium.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 0
Do all the above or what you want to do at home with flush adapter . let it idle and get warm, before heading to ramp and find out the hard way

Would most definitely change the water pump impeller. It may pump water for a bit and then come apart when on the water. Speaking from experience.

All,

I have a 1996 Nitro 170TF which has been sitting for a three to four years. I’ve got the fishing fever again and a little more time then I used to. It has the Tracker 115 on it with BayStar hydraulic kit. I removed the prop today because it got bent on my last trip to the river. I am hoping it can be repaired (Quicksilver Laser 2 26P). I also need to buy two new batteries. What else should I do to get this boat back ready to go? I’ve never changed oil in the foot or anything like that and not sure if I need to or not. Anything else recommended?

I would take the oil pump off and manually turn the gear to make sure it is not stuck. What happens is that if it does not turn it could wipe out the plastic gear on the crank shaft. Just a little insurance.

All,

I’ve got a guy that rebuilds props he done mine and did a great job. Drawback is you’ll need to mail it to him unless you live close to Warsaw Mo. if interested let me know.

If it's been sitting awhile I would start with a new water pump kit, new fuel lines drain the fuel that's been sitting in the tank new fuel pump. All this before you try starting it because it any of theses are bad you don't want to find out on the water. If junk in tank like water or oil or build up get into your injectors you will be in a world of hurt. Just take the time to get it all right before hitting the water. My two cents. ♥️

Back