I've created a monster!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Hutchison

Reaction score
Years ago, I used to bass fish almost exclusively. Probably fished an average of 3 times a week. Well, I got very busy, and maybe a little lazy, working out of town. and pretty much stopped fishing. Then, when I did fish once or twice a year, I just crappie fished. My son was born, and he'd usually accompany me on those rare Crappie trips to, usually, KY. Lake. I've posted about him here before-He's a Marine, been to Iraq and all that. Well, the other day he wants to know if I want to go fishing. I said maybe we'd just run up to Barren River Lake and take a shot at some bass. He'd never been bass fishing on purpose. Naturally, he'd caught a few while crappie fishing. I told him not to expect much because there was a good reason they called this lake Barren. Anyway, we get up there and start throwing crankbaits around some points, and he brings what I figure about a 5-6 pound bass to the boat. He didn't know how to boat it properly, and before I could get to it he'd broken it off. Few minutes later, he boats about a 4 pounder. He's back there whooping about why haven't we been doing this all along. I told him it's not normally this easy, requires research, knowledge, and a whole lot more money and time than Crappie fishing. Anyway, he's been back out numerous times since then, and had some pretty good catches. We've gotta leave town tonight or tomorrow for a funeral in St. Louis so we're going to the lake for a few hours this afternoon. Now, since I've created this bass fishing monster my Dad's Day wish list consists of all bass fishing items. Ah well, I'm semi-retired, and working near home, so I guess I can get back into it some. It's been too easy for him though to start off. He's done nothing but toss crankbaits, and I think he thinks that's all he has to do. There's just a little more to it than that! Later, I'm goin fishing, Hutch:D

Good luck, good story and thank the monster you created for his service for me....

Mini

Great story Hutch, But don't go telling all the things involved in becoming a good bass fisherman like the research ,moon charts, water tables, tackle modification, Mathmatics,mood rings,rabbits foot,praying,the study of aquatic plant life,meteoralogy. science,endless reading of material from bass guru's . and a whole lotta money.

.....Once he starts having to think of all those things he'll never catch bass again !!!!

MG:D

Great story... Same thing happened to me with my son... He had fished a few Walleye tourneys with me but had no passion... I signed him up for an FLW League event on Green Bay... He fished with a friend of mine and they boated siome nice fish... a few over 10 lbs... Well that was it... Like in the movie of Field Of Dreams... when the brother-in-law sees the ghosts... My son was/is hooked...

Now, all you need to do is kep him pointed in the right direction and buy him lots of cankbaits, plastics, scents, etc. etc. etc.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. My uncle Norm, a great guy, passed away, and I had to go to St. Louis for a couple days for the funeral. Gonna have to get together with some of my cousins for something other than a funeral.

I've heard of Senkos, drop-shotting, wacky rigging, and other new stuff that's popped up, but haven't tried any of it. Guess we've got some research to do! Hutch

Latest posts

Back