Is decarbing and fogging the same thing?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty C.

Reaction score
I have doing a lot of research on boat maintenance, and I read on winterizing you need to fog the engine with fogging oil by spraying into the carbs and then take out the spark plugs and spray some in each hole.

Then I read on decarbing doing the same procedure. So, is decarbing and fogging the same thing, or is it different, but you perform the procedure the same way?

If they are different, and you fog the engine when you are winterizing, when do you decarb?

What is the best decarb spray to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty

Rusty, while the procedure is similar, the purposes are different. The fogging process displaces moisture and coats internal components with lubricant to prevent corrosion. Decarbing is done to remove carbon deposits from the piston/rings to ensure that the rings can move inside the ring groove as the piston reciprocates in the cylinder. Stuck rings often break and cause severe engine damage.

decarbing engine with OMC tune up in a can does agood job if you can still buy it I had a merc mechanic tell me years ago to use it on my Merc moters that Mercury did not make anything as good

JD

Mercury Quicklean and Power Tune are very good products. Just go easy on the Power Tune.

Craig

Jack:

As I remember, you can shoot the Power Tune right in the throat of the carburetors. Check the can for detailed instructions how to use it.

Da Bear

Latest posts

Back