2021 Nitro Z19 Sport 200ProXs Ride quality

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveS

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve never reached out on anything like this before but I’m praying someone can help shed some light on this. I bought a 2021 Z19 sport with the 200ProXs. I’ve tried reaching out to multiple (maybe 10 service techs) on the ride quality of this set up. My problem: I literally have to keep the engine trimmed down all the time or I get proposing. The only time it seems to calm down is if I add weight to the front end (like 2 people sitting on the bow) or in smooth water. Not to mention the steering gets very tight when the trim is buried. At higher speeds I’ll admit it seems to act a little better. BUT…any rough water you better be ready to grab the OS handles. Like I said, I’ve tried explaining this issue but no real solution has been given. I’ve read all the forums and it’s obvious this issue is common and Nitro has the set up wrong! It’s not just my boat! Question: Has anyone installed a jack plate or tried raising the engine???? Just can’t bring myself to ride around with sand bags in the bow or trying fifty different things hoping to fix the problem. One more thing…All the techs say the trim gauge accuracy is what it is. It moves 3 grains of sand unless your close to full speed then it may bump up between
buried and quarter trim. Everyone blames it on Mercury. They should be ashamed of that too. Sorry for the rant, but I’m just extremely frustrated. Nitro won’t even let you talk to their Techs/Engineers. No way should a manufacturer ever let a boat with these issues leave for sale that cares about their reputation. Again, looking for answers on if anyone has tried playing with engine height and gauge accuracy. The 200 is slightly heavier… with 3 batteries…fuel and people sitting in the back seats I suspect it’s a little heavy in the rear. Thanks in advance!

Hello Steve

1. I very much understand the frustration you must be in and have been in situations like this also. Not with this issue. The first thing can you describe your boat in detail with your signature page or in this thread. 2021 Z19 sport with the 200ProXs. What prop and pitch. Does the boat plane quickly? Give as much detail as possible. What I did in a document is went through the situation in detail and explain as best I could the issues. Then explain all the actions again in detail down to the smallest items what you have done, updated, monitored, and tried. As the last resort describe the result in detail what the outcome was again in detail. Have this handy and just copy and paste it into these forums and with all the smart people you will get some excellent ideas. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help you.

2. If you think your setup is wrong there are youtube videos that show you how to set up and measure your outboard placement and see if you are dialed in or off by a mile. You can do this and when you talk to the dealer you can let them know what you have done and let them know what you have done.

Sorry, like you, I am not trying to be mean so don’t take this the wrong way. What you’re asking me to do is what I’ve already been doing for over a year… but not on this forum. The boat planes just fine trimmed down. Trimmed up I lost my center compartment lid. Boat was hopping like crazy. The lid was secured by the factory with 6 tiny 1/2” x 1/16” thick screws which of course ripped right out of the plastic. The door literally was hanging on by the shock. I quickly found out the trim gauge accuracy within 10 seconds into my first voyage! Anything above the quarter mark on the trim gage is basically going into engine tilt, not trim. On previous boats I’ve owned or rode in, when you’re trimmed halfway on the gauge, you’re trimmed halfway. I ride by feel most always, but would still like to see where I’m at. Techs say that’s a Mercury thing. Whoever’s at fault it’s ridiculous engineering. You asked to describe my boat in detail. It is a 2021 Z19 Sport 200ProXs and everything is stock with no upgrades. The prop is a 21p, 3 blade Tempest. I don’t know what else I need to put. I’m assuming all 2021 Z19 Sports with the 200ProXs come from the factory set up the same because this is the 2nd one I’ve owned. In fact, the door problem was on my first boat. Checked the screws on the second boat immediately and they were halfway out. I have already solved that issue with my own engineering. It works fine now although the door doesn’t sit as flush as it should. The screw holes from the factory were off line and didn’t want to drill new holes. I could go on about other minor issues but it’s mostly cosmetic. Everyone blames Covid and lack of experienced help. Engine bolt holes: Multiple Nitro service techs have confirmed from their books that the recommended mounting hole for the engine is the second hole from the top. That’s where this engine is mounted. I sold the my first boat because it had the same issues. Then my family missed the boat and I bought the 2nd because I wanted to be more aggressive in fixing the issues. Plus, I want to believe in the boats potential. My main “issue” is that this boat has to be trimmed down way to much or the ride suffers and the steering gets way to tight when doing so. From cruising speed on down it needs to be trimmed down or it porpoises. At this point I’m not looking for opinions. I’m hoping to find solid answers from other owners with this exact set up. Owners who have actually tried to move the engine height, added a jack plate, or changed the prop. I am specifically looking for a solution not a suggestion. There is no reason a new boat should ride like this. Again, this is the second one I’ve owned. Exact same boat with the exact same issues. I would be willing to bet anything the ones who have never owned another boat probably wouldn’t know the difference. They have nothing to compare it to. They probably think everything is normal. Its not. Maybe I’ll find out that the boat is not balanced like it should be and there’s no adjustment other than weight that will help. Maybe the 200 is to much engine. I hear and see other similar complaints and also know what a boat should ride like. I also asked some very reliable service techs if all fish and skis ride like that. Their honest answer was that this boat isn’t going to ride like your old boat. Again, not getting into the name battle and that’s their opinion. I know other Nitro boat owners who are completely satisfied. That’s what I’m comparing it to and I believe this boat can be better. I want it to be better. I have my opinions…I love the layout of this boat…I really enjoy everything minus a few issues I’m hoping to solve. I’m being very straightforward with what I’m asking on this forum. Has anyone had any results with trying a different engine height or added a jack plate? Obviously if a jack plate was added I’m assuming the height was played with as well and am wondering if the center of gravity change made it better, worse, or no change at all. Hopefully that helps with what I’m asking. Thanks

Steve

Thank You and hope the people on this forum can help. I live near several Bass Tracker Stores which are 45 minutes away from me. We found a family boat shop that made my wife and I feel right at home and we brought our boat from them. I had a 91 Seaboard Prowler and 91 Johnson 2 Stroke. Had it for 7 years and always wrenching on it before I could use it. That's why I went with a new boat. The issue you describe above is very true. I deal in supply chain and materials, parts, and services are very hard to get and achieve now due to all kinds of issues.

Hello, I’ve never reached out on anything like this before but I’m praying someone can help shed some light on this. I bought a 2021 Z19 sport with the 200ProXs. I’ve tried reaching out to multiple (maybe 10 service techs) on the ride quality of this set up. My problem: I literally have to keep the engine trimmed down all the time or I get proposing. The only time it seems to calm down is if I add weight to the front end (like 2 people sitting on the bow) or in smooth water. Not to mention the steering gets very tight when the trim is buried. At higher speeds I’ll admit it seems to act a little better. BUT…any rough water you better be ready to grab the OS handles. Like I said, I’ve tried explaining this issue but no real solution has been given. I’ve read all the forums and it’s obvious this issue is common and Nitro has the set up wrong! It’s not just my boat! Question: Has anyone installed a jack plate or tried raising the engine???? Just can’t bring myself to ride around with sand bags in the bow or trying fifty different things hoping to fix the problem. One more thing…All the techs say the trim gauge accuracy is what it is. It moves 3 grains of sand unless your close to full speed then it may bump up between
buried and quarter trim. Everyone blames it on Mercury. They should be ashamed of that too. Sorry for the rant, but I’m just extremely frustrated. Nitro won’t even let you talk to their Techs/Engineers. No way should a manufacturer ever let a boat with these issues leave for sale that cares about their reputation. Again, looking for answers on if anyone has tried playing with engine height and gauge accuracy. The 200 is slightly heavier… with 3 batteries…fuel and people sitting in the back seats I suspect it’s a little heavy in the rear. Thanks in advance!
I have the exact same model year and engine and the issues for me are identical. Two short up trim clicks are are all you can do before porposing. The steering on mine is so stiff my wife can hardly do it at speed. It takes two hand with muscle to turn. Had the sea star bled by cabelas but no help. I’m thinking about a jack plate as well.

I have the exact same model year and engine and the issues for me are identical. Two short up trim clicks are are all you can do before porposing. The steering on mine is so stiff my wife can hardly do it at speed. It takes two hand with muscle to turn. Had the sea star bled by cabelas but no help. I’m thinking about a jack plate as well.
Btw, read your 2nd post and yes, this is my first boat. I assumed most of these issues were normal until my brother-n-law told me otherwise. Center hatch fell off just like yours. Removed the front cushions to install some rod holders and was shocked to find holes in the fiberglass that looked like they were made with a screwdriver vs. a drill. Main power switch went out on 3rd trip. Trolling battery failed in 14 months. I assume the lower portion of the hull is same as z19 fish only version and don’t hear many complaints about them. I’ve literally been waiting to see another Nitro on the lake so I can pull close and ask questions. Hell, I’d let them drive my boat just to hear if this was normal.

Let me start by saying I have been setting up boats for over 30 years. From lower HP boats to Go-Fast boats capable of triple digits. I will admit I have only setup a couple fish and ski boats but the concept is the same. In your post you fail to mention several very important factors required to attempt to fix your problem. What prop and pitch prop you have? Engine RPM at WOT? Type of lower unit (Prolly a TorqueMaster) and gear ratio? Engine height above/below the pad? (Bottom of the hull level on a level surface, engine lowered to where the top edge of the cav plate is level: Measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the back of the pad (Lowests running surface) & distance from the floor to centerline of the lower unit (Bullet)=difference above or below the pad. (Yours will be below)
Lets first address the trim gauge issue you describe. An analog gauge is simply a representation of position. It should only be used as a reference so you know where it is. How much trim is needed "will vary with speed and load"!! It WILL NOT be the same for every boat, every time for every condition. You have to get a feel for how the boat is running and trim accordingly. You cannot use what someone else uses for many reasons. A digital trim gauge gives a more accurate reading. When I'm running I "Feel" how the boat is running and once it's trimmed to where I "Feel" its best, most times can look at the gauge and see it's at the same reading near every time. Years ago most boats didn't even have a trim gauge!! Also, very few boats need to use the "FULL" trim! Second, NEVER go off what some tech working at a shop says. They setup a boat which is essentially "Unloaded". All they can do is get it in the ballpark. Their customers tell them "It runs great" then over time load the boat up with their "Stuff" and return telling them this thing ran great when I firsts got it, now it runs like crap!! They have no idea of how you or anyone else will actually load your boat. ALL boat manufacturers sell a boat with the cheapest "Minimum" pitched prop they can get away with and NOT the "BEST" prop for a particular boat because they know that no 2 boats will run the same because of the issues mentioned above. I recently purchased my first Nitro and have used/tested 4 props already. A fifth is on order and I'm searching for a 6th. The prop that came with the boat is nowhere near the correct prop for my boat as setup! Also, boats will run differently from season to season (Cold/Hot) because an outboard will make more power in cooler weather as opposed to hot weather.
Porpoising as you describe can be caused by one or more things, usually too much trim for the speed. Motor too high on the transom, bow area overloaded for the set up, prop not maintaining a good "bite" etc.. or of course a combination of these. Will a jackplate work?? Maybe, maybe not. One reason a jackplate is used is when additional bow lift is required. A jackplate also allows for quicker/easier ability to change engine height. Boat/Motor, set-back, trim, lift are basically a fulcrum (longer lever=more lift capability). 2 inches in setback can also make a big difference (Good or bad). The boat you have does NOT have natural bow lift as does most bass boats and other Go-Fast boats and cannot be rigged the same, as the bow area on your boat is very heavy in comparison. Same concept but achieved differently! To get the trim needed the motor must be down far enough on the transom so when you trim up it is still in clean water allowing the prop to bite while maintaining good water pressure. Too high on the transom and you lose this ability because you actually get less trim and the prop is losing bite, gaining bite, losing bite, gaining bite--porpoising! In addition, trim too high and you actually lose speed because the angle of the lower unit/prop is pushing the transom at a downward angle instead of forward. As speed increases, bow lift increases which "LOWERS" the prop deeper in the water. This is where proper engine height comes into play. Most boats will get up on plane at many different engine heights but may or may not run best or even at all at the same given height (Hydraulic Jackplates fix this problem) A prop will also lift the stern to a degree (Some props more than others). As compared to a 3 blade, a 4 blade prop will plane better, handle better, will have more bow and stern lift capabilities and will allow you to run it higher in most cases. The steering torque you describe is a classic case of a prop trimmed too high. A 3 blade prop isn't designed to run partially submerged, or at high angles of attack as is a 4 or 5 blade prop. Steering torque will increase with them all, but the fewer blades means higher steering torque when partially surfaced. Boats such as yours is not a high performance hull which requires or even allows for a prop to be run at high engine heights.
In my opinion, considering your porpoising with lots of steering torque, your motor is too high. You need to start by lowering the motor by 1 hole and see what thats does for you. If you don't see things get better, drop another hole. If this isn't working try a 4 blade prop of similar pitch and work with engine height again!

Let me start by saying I have been setting up boats for over 30 years. From lower HP boats to Go-Fast boats capable of triple digits. I will admit I have only setup a couple fish and ski boats but the concept is the same. In your post you fail to mention several very important factors required to attempt to fix your problem. What prop and pitch prop you have? Engine RPM at WOT? Type of lower unit (Prolly a TorqueMaster) and gear ratio? Engine height above/below the pad? (Bottom of the hull level on a level surface, engine lowered to where the top edge of the cav plate is level: Measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the back of the pad (Lowests running surface) & distance from the floor to centerline of the lower unit (Bullet)=difference above or below the pad. (Yours will be below)
Lets first address the trim gauge issue you describe. An analog gauge is simply a representation of position. It should only be used as a reference so you know where it is. How much trim is needed "will vary with speed and load"!! It WILL NOT be the same for every boat, every time for every condition. You have to get a feel for how the boat is running and trim accordingly. You cannot use what someone else uses for many reasons. A digital trim gauge gives a more accurate reading. When I'm running I "Feel" how the boat is running and once it's trimmed to where I "Feel" its best, most times can look at the gauge and see it's at the same reading near every time. Years ago most boats didn't even have a trim gauge!! Also, very few boats need to use the "FULL" trim! Second, NEVER go off what some tech working at a shop says. They setup a boat which is essentially "Unloaded". All they can do is get it in the ballpark. Their customers tell them "It runs great" then over time load the boat up with their "Stuff" and return telling them this thing ran great when I firsts got it, now it runs like crap!! They have no idea of how you or anyone else will actually load your boat. ALL boat manufacturers sell a boat with the cheapest "Minimum" pitched prop they can get away with and NOT the "BEST" prop for a particular boat because they know that no 2 boats will run the same because of the issues mentioned above. I recently purchased my first Nitro and have used/tested 4 props already. A fifth is on order and I'm searching for a 6th. The prop that came with the boat is nowhere near the correct prop for my boat as setup! Also, boats will run differently from season to season (Cold/Hot) because an outboard will make more power in cooler weather as opposed to hot weather.
Porpoising as you describe can be caused by one or more things, usually too much trim for the speed. Motor too high on the transom, bow area overloaded for the set up, prop not maintaining a good "bite" etc.. or of course a combination of these. Will a jackplate work?? Maybe, maybe not. One reason a jackplate is used is when additional bow lift is required. A jackplate also allows for quicker/easier ability to change engine height. Boat/Motor, set-back, trim, lift are basically a fulcrum (longer lever=more lift capability). 2 inches in setback can also make a big difference (Good or bad). The boat you have does NOT have natural bow lift as does most bass boats and other Go-Fast boats and cannot be rigged the same, as the bow area on your boat is very heavy in comparison. Same concept but achieved differently! To get the trim needed the motor must be down far enough on the transom so when you trim up it is still in clean water allowing the prop to bite while maintaining good water pressure. Too high on the transom and you lose this ability because you actually get less trim and the prop is losing bite, gaining bite, losing bite, gaining bite--porpoising! In addition, trim too high and you actually lose speed because the angle of the lower unit/prop is pushing the transom at a downward angle instead of forward. As speed increases, bow lift increases which "LOWERS" the prop deeper in the water. This is where proper engine height comes into play. Most boats will get up on plane at many different engine heights but may or may not run best or even at all at the same given height (Hydraulic Jackplates fix this problem) A prop will also lift the stern to a degree (Some props more than others). As compared to a 3 blade, a 4 blade prop will plane better, handle better, will have more bow and stern lift capabilities and will allow you to run it higher in most cases. The steering torque you describe is a classic case of a prop trimmed too high. A 3 blade prop isn't designed to run partially submerged, or at high angles of attack as is a 4 or 5 blade prop. Steering torque will increase with them all, but the fewer blades means higher steering torque when partially surfaced. Boats such as yours is not a high performance hull which requires or even allows for a prop to be run at high engine heights.
In my opinion, considering your porpoising with lots of steering torque, your motor is too high. You need to start by lowering the motor by 1 hole and see what thats does for you. If you don't see things get better, drop another hole. If this isn't working try a 4 blade prop of similar pitch and work with engine height again!
Amazing amount of information , hats off to you.

Amazing amount of information , hats off to you.
Thanks for the info. That said, SteveS and I spent close to $40k for a boat that has been setup by a MFG and not touched by the marina it was purchased from. This specific model has 5 mounting levels and the factory default is 2nd mount point from the deck which means it has very little ability to go deeper. The only real adjustment is up.

This was a major purchase and a first boat for me. I’ve stuck an additional $7500 of gear in mine to upgrade factory equipped trolling motor, trolling motor batteries, fishing graphs, etc. For me, spending $400+ for new props to test seems wrong. Nitro should have gotten this correct from the get go.

My Z19 will porpoise under 30 mph if it is trimmed up to high. I don't consider this an issue because that is what the trim switch is for.

We had an old procraft boat, that porpoised terrible. Its issue was the actual mold for the hull, was bad. The mold had been used so much, it had a hook in it. So, at WOT it ran great, but a 1/2 throttle, you could call it "flipper" This was a common problem with this particular model of boat. To fix it, we epoxied wedges on the bottom of the hull, on the edge of the transom, at the 2nd step down. My first suggestion would be to verify the motor was installed in the correct position, then start easy, try installing a stingray. It may be enough too correct your issue, without making major changes to your setup. Trim tabs will also tame a boat that porpoises, but you may lose some top end speed. If you have a local prop shop, you could try different prop configurations that may greatly change the handling on your boat. A 4 blade prop will help with the steering TQ and many of the performance SS props will develop more lift than your standard factory SS prop. If you really like the boat, you can get the porposing out, but it may take some creative solutions

Rarely will a manufacturer or a dealer sell a boat with the "Proper Prop". They get close but there are so many variables into propping a boat it's difficult to do!

Thanks for the info. That said, SteveS and I spent close to $40k for a boat that has been setup by a MFG and not touched by the marina it was purchased from. This specific model has 5 mounting levels and the factory default is 2nd mount point from the deck which means it has very little ability to go deeper. The only real adjustment is up.

This was a major purchase and a first boat for me. I’ve stuck an additional $7500 of gear in mine to upgrade factory equipped trolling motor, trolling motor batteries, fishing graphs, etc. For me, spending $400+ for new props to test seems wrong. Nitro should have gotten this correct from the get go.

Well, looks like I’m falling for the trap!!!!! I secretly told myself not to waste my time on any replies that don’t pertain to my question…but here goes. First off, let me say thank you to anyone trying to help. That said, I’m not sure both of my posts in this thread were read. I am clearly and ONLY asking for owners with my set up to respond with any solutions they have FIXING the problem. Why am I only asking them? Because I’ve already heard these questions and opinions 100 times. This thread was created to offer up “solutions” for the ride quality of the Nitro Z19 Sport with 200ProXs. I didn’t list all the information needed to troubleshoot on paper because I didn’t want any more opinions. In both posts, and in one of the responses from another boat owner with this set up, we clearly said we are trimmed down. Down is the opposite of up. So why are we receiving replies telling us that we need to trim down? We’re freaking buried! We want to go up !!!! The engine is to low. Center of prop shaft is 4 1/2 inches below the pan from the factory. The engine is almost as low as it can go. Again, I’ve already been through this and didn’t want to post all that information because I didn’t want 50 million opinions. I hope that’s clear. I also said I ride off of feel like you most of the time. I just simply added that I would like to know where I’m at with a more accurate gauge. I do like to look at where I’m at as well. The needle on our gauge is buried to the left. It’s movement is three grains off sand. 80% of its entire range is on the black line. I’d say that’s off a bit! I don’t care if the industry has this generic standard and every boat is different. I actually have an electronics degree and I can tell you that if a boat manufacturer truly cared…they could make their trim gauge spot on for every boat. An analog gauge still has electronics. It’s just a matter of people working together to find a solution to the problem. But again, I really truly don’t care!!!! I was just stating what my boat is doing and wanting to know from other boaters if they’ve had any “results” (again not opinions) trying different things and to help save all of us owners a few dollars before we go on a wild goose chase. I can tell you right now I paid to move the engine up a hole yesterday and am most certainly moving in the right direction. Down is wrong in this engine set up. A hydraulic jack plate is next. Last thing: The Steering torque that we’re having is not created from trimming the engine to high. Like we both stated we’re both trimmed as low as we can go and can only bump it up two quick touches. I do agree with a lot of what you’re saying. Originally, I assumed this boat was rear heavy, but I am starting to buy into the fact that its just not getting up on its pan and it’s actually bow heavy. That 200 4 stroke is plenty for this boat it just needs the proper set up. Up a hole also loosened the steering a tad. What does that tell you? Kind of hard to steer a boat easily when the engine is trimmed down and the boat is still in the water. I agree Prop changes will probably help to. Sorry for being direct I’m just busy. I appreciate everything that was said though. Just needed specific solutions

Well, looks like I’m falling for the trap!!!!! I secretly told myself not to waste my time on any replies that don’t pertain to my question…but here goes. First off, let me say thank you to anyone trying to help. That said, I’m not sure both of my posts in this thread were read. I am clearly and ONLY asking for owners with my set up to respond with any solutions they have FIXING the problem. Why am I only asking them? Because I’ve already heard these questions and opinions 100 times. This thread was created to offer up “solutions” for the ride quality of the Nitro Z19 Sport with 200ProXs. I didn’t list all the information needed to troubleshoot on paper because I didn’t want any more opinions. In both posts, and in one of the responses from another boat owner with this set up, we clearly said we are trimmed down. Down is the opposite of up. So why are we receiving replies telling us that we need to trim down? We’re freaking buried! We want to go up !!!! The engine is to low. Center of prop shaft is 4 1/2 inches below the pan from the factory. The engine is almost as low as it can go. Again, I’ve already been through this and didn’t want to post all that information because I didn’t want 50 million opinions. I hope that’s clear. I also said I ride off of feel like you most of the time. I just simply added that I would like to know where I’m at with a more accurate gauge. I do like to look at where I’m at as well. The needle on our gauge is buried to the left. It’s movement is three grains off sand. 80% of its entire range is on the black line. I’d say that’s off a bit! I don’t care if the industry has this generic standard and every boat is different. I actually have an electronics degree and I can tell you that if a boat manufacturer truly cared…they could make their trim gauge spot on for every boat. An analog gauge still has electronics. It’s just a matter of people working together to find a solution to the problem. But again, I really truly don’t care!!!! I was just stating what my boat is doing and wanting to know from other boaters if they’ve had any “results” (again not opinions) trying different things and to help save all of us owners a few dollars before we go on a wild goose chase. I can tell you right now I paid to move the engine up a hole yesterday and am most certainly moving in the right direction. Down is wrong in this engine set up. A hydraulic jack plate is next. Last thing: The Steering torque that we’re having is not created from trimming the engine to high. Like we both stated we’re both trimmed as low as we can go and can only bump it up two quick touches. I do agree with a lot of what you’re saying. Originally, I assumed this boat was rear heavy, but I am starting to buy into the fact that its just not getting up on its pan and it’s actually bow heavy. That 200 4 stroke is plenty for this boat it just needs the proper set up. Up a hole also loosened the steering a tad. What does that tell you? Kind of hard to steer a boat easily when the engine is trimmed down and the boat is still in the water. I agree Prop changes will probably help to. Sorry for being direct I’m just busy. I appreciate everything that was said though. Just needed specific solutions

One more thing:
‘If you’re not first, you’re last’ - Ricky Bobby
Advice…There are people who have been doing their job their whole life and don’t even realize that they could’ve done it better. The worst thing someone can do is not be opened minded. Pen and paper to real world use are both needed, but the latter is more important. Always push for 1st. The guy in 2nd did something wrong. He did do it better than 3rd, 4th and 5th though. But he still did something wrong.

You need to take your boat to the dealer and "In Writing" explain the issue and say fix it in a timely manner or buy it back!

Latest posts

Back