Had to make a tough choice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Izzi

Reaction score
Well guy's I had to do it I am staying in a tent again on my upcoming tournament. With the price of Diesel and Gas at around 4 bucks had to make a choice sleeping comfort or fishing a tournament within 50' of the launch ramp LOL! :lol:

I hope this fuel thing comes to a head sometime soon or at least I get a gas sponsor! I thought the truckers were going to strike? What ever happened to that? I would strike but I love to fish to much!:lol:

The Dragon

Well now, if you had a FISO Super Crew you would simply throw a full size Coleman blow up bed [bed, not doll] in the back and ... Bob's your uncle; high and dry. ;)

Gas is up there, that's for sure.

I'll be using my Jayco pop up pickup camper a lot this summer. Instead of two day trips I'll take overnighters for two days.

fatrap

Marty my Cheby crew would work but I travel with a co-angler and he would have to sleep outside. Bad enough he has to fish with some knuckle heads from time to time I have to look out for him sometimes......maybe if I gave him the blow-up girly! :lol::lol:

Hey Rapster how do those pop ups work for you? I worry that they would be to heavy with the gear, boat ect. The other drawback is how would it look with my wrap? I would have to get Action Products and BPS to wrap that too!:lol:

I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself our Troops are sleeping in the dirt! God Bless Them or we would not be doing what we do!

Thanks for the feed back!

The Dragon

Heck, when it comes to fishing tournaments and overnight accomodations, give me a tent or camper anytime over a hotel room. I'm not a big TV person, and I can usually stand the heat / cold fairly well... and I'd take a campfire burger any day of the week. It's been several years since I've rented a hotel room for overnight trips. I always used to worry about someone breaking into my boat while I'm in my hotel room, and coming out the next morning for the tournament only to find out that I have no tackle, rods, electronics, trolling motor or prop. Camping out... I never worry about such things. My boat is "right there" - less than 20 feet from my tent most of the time. I'm lucky to have a Region partner that likes to camp just as much as I do. In fact, about 75% of my bass club now camps out for club tournament and Region events. We all try to get adjoining camp sites, cook up some good grub, tell some lies, etc... Some of my most memorable trips have been camping / fishing trips.

There have been several others that have done it too. With rising gas prices, I think more will start making some kind of sacrifices also. A friend of mine, who is a professional bass angler on the FLW side, has a used Chevy custom van that he tows his rig with. He took out the rear door pop-out window and put a sheet of plywood in it's place, then cut out a hole for a small 110V air conditioning unit. It's his "home on wheels".

All the best,

Glenn

I hate sleeping in my truck and tent is right up there also. I can usually find a semi-decent hotel for around $40-$60 and split it two or three ways.

I wonder how many people will be making shorter runs in tournaments as we approach $4/gal gas? I know I am going to get much better at 'milking' a spot.:)

Put him in the Cheby-Bed and tell him to have a nice evening--:lol: I guess that wouldn't be sociable.

Thanks for thinking of our troops and putting your own discomfort in perspective--:D.

Dragon

I have a 1985 Jayco Pop up. It weighs a little over a 1000 pounds. The crank is on the outside. Hard roof soft tent material about two foot high the lower is all hardside. I put a 110 volt 4800 btu window air conditioner in the rear window. You can hang meat in there on a 100 degree day. Got stove,3 way fridge, sink sleeps four but in reality it about three guys. I put a microwave and TV and I take a 2000 watt Honda generator when needed. I pull my 18 foot Tundra with a 2002 F250 Superduty diesel. The whole thing goes down the road like a breeze. I get between 11 and 14 mpg @ 70mph.

I paid a $1000 for mine. My brother just bought the twin to mine for $1200 but his a a 1990.

The advantage is I can stay in a Walmart parking lot Truck stop or even pull in to a rest area for a few hours then hit it again. Camping is about $12 to #14 per night. I like it alot.

fatrap

Thanks I will star looking for one and try it. For that kind of cash it will pay for itself in a couple of tourneys.

Thanks,

The Dragon

mgrandick,

I'm a bit confused on this one. Do you pull a pop-up trailer and boat, or is the pop up you are talking about something that fits in the bed, or does someone else tow one while you tow the other?

All the best,

Glenn

I'm lookin' for an older aluminum cap for my truck to do just that:D

Tee

Sorry about the mgrandick I was using my other computer. I have a pop up pick up camper. It fits in the bed of my pick up truck. Takes just a few minutes to drop in and clamp down. The only difference in getting the boat read is I need an extension for my ball and reciever because the tailgate is down.

fatrap

Me too! I don't think I've ever seen a pop up camper that fits in the bed of a truck. That would be AWESOME!

All the best,

Glenn

I'll have to look around and see if I have one of that shows the whole rig. Ofcourse I have a Tracker Tundra instead of a Bassboat.

fatrap

I know you can go to Alaskancampers.com and they make a pop up in bed camper.

Randy!

Latest posts

Back