First Hot Side Prefish

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Well, under the disguise of needing to check out my new fuel line install:p I went to the hotside yesterday. First big difference......The sun sleeps in this time of year!!:lol: I waited lakeside for about 1/2 hour for safelight because I was too lazy to put the lights on the boat. It was also cccccold, not really but it felt that way to me because I have not been out enough lately. Zoomed off to topwater cove and managed 3 on a sammy. Boy-o-boy was the wind howling!! That really limited my spot selection. Was fishing all day with a wrapped boat right on my arse? I swear the guy was following me. There looked to be a small tournament coming from somewhere over by pool 3. Picked up a couple on my dropshot spot but the wind was so strong it was pushing me up against the current. Caught 3 there on a Little John crankbait bouncing it off the underwater rocks. Dropshotting most of the bridge pilings didn't produce. Water is still very warm. Was running to another spot and came up on another boat same size as mine, brand to be nameless:lol: He saw me approaching and I watched his rooster tail increase...so I figured now was as good of time as any to see what the old girl would do. I trimmed her up and let her eat. Even with swinging wide, I went by the guy (with a very astonished look on his face by the way) and pulled away. The old girl was chine walking to beat the band but I kept her in check and really ran her hard. Pulled up to my spot and sat down, got my rod out and was about to make a cast when the guy sat down about 50 yards from me. He motored over and asked what I had done to the motor on my boat cause he had never seen a NITRO run like that.:lol: I guess the fuel line works ok!!:p Went up Elk Creek and the pad field at the old submerged dam is still alive:huh: Managed a couple off the rip rap in front of the cemetary then threw way into the pads (dang wind) and was pulling a senko over the pads to make another cast and WHAM!! About a 2lber smashed it. That's a first, a senko as a topwater!! Getting to be about 3 in the afternoon and I went back to one of the dikes since the wind layed down a little. Caught 3 keepers and then something just stopped my senko....it was like I got snagged on a rock (which happens on the dikes a lot) until I felt a small throb...I set the hook and pulled in my best of the day. I didn't have my scale so I put her on the bumpboard and she measured 21 inches, 1 inch short of me getting my 3rd citation fish this year. I estimated her to be 6lbs. :cool: On average, a 22 inch fish is right at 8lbs and she was a little short and stocky. Since the motor was running so well, I filled both of my livewells to the brim and tried a hole shot so see how she would do. Popped outta the water like a cork. Great day on the water. Windburn, fast boat and plenty of fish!! I'm really gonna hate parting with this boat when it is time to get a new one. She's held together with duct tape and bailing wire, the seats and carpet are trashed but it's the best boat I have ever owned!!

Only downside to the day was I went to the truck to pull her out and the birds just covered it in poop, I mean covered it:angry::angry: As soon as it warms up I'm gonna go out and wash her off. Went out this morning and there was heavy frost on the boat!!

Thanks for the day Bill!!

TOXIC

Scott - Just so we don't find that 6 lb'r in a cage or on a stringer when we have the NSM. LOL Glad you had a good time. Fish are starting to come up so it should be a blast during the NSM.

toxic,

sorry i did not return your call to hit the hot side, but maybe next time i will hear it ring,:p thats ok, just keep waiting for the smallmouth phone to ring.

just kidding,

glad you have a good time, any size on the topwqater fish?

mike c

Barely keepers and a lot of small fish off of the one and only dock in there. Water temp is still way too hot for my liking but the fish are starting to hit. I'll remember next time, I always feel like when I get a weekday off everybody else is working....don't even think to call anybody:huh:

TOXIC

Geeeeeez! The new book is out so I am not working now until January!

Sounds like a great day! I know Nitro's aren't the fastest but I loved seeing the suprised faces with my little 700lx with a 90.

That's a first, a senko as a topwater!!
Maybe for a Bass Scott but don't you remember that striper that grabbed my Senko on top when you were fishing with me? You said the same thing then about topwater and a Senko.:huh: :D

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back