Pro Staff, Field Staff, Field Testing, etc...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've seen quite a bit of bashing of Pro Staff, etc... lately on several sites, including a few recent digs on them here. I thought I'd clear the air (and get this off my chest) so that some others may understand a little better. If you don't agree with this, that's fine. I've been working within the fishing industry since 1994, when I first obtained entry level sponsorships.

Now, there is a bit of confusion, on both the part of the participant, and the part of the bystander, on what constitutes "Pro Staff", "Field Staff", "Field Tester", etc... There are no hard-fast rules regarding these positions, and some companies even blur the lines between them. However, for the most part, these are some definitions.

Pro Staff - Factory sponsored. Direct from the factory. No middle man. Whether the product is free, or that person gets a substantial discount (and "substantial" means different things to different companies too), that person is a direct factory sponsored person. Thus... Pro Staff. Some companies have different names for it, but basically, it's Pro Staff. Now, the obligations required by these companies differ from company to company, product to product, and person to person. A Professional Angler on tour may simply have to use the product and ensure that they are always displaying the logo, etc... Or they may have seminar / appearance obligations (x amount per year). It's not always about the win, although most every company wants their angler to win. It's also about how you carry yourself. If you're constantly cashing 1st place paychecks, but you have the personality of a pile of cow crap, you probably won't last long with sponsors. On the other hand, if you constantly try your hardest, fish as many tournaments as your schedule allows, always show up professionally dressed and on time for appearances / seminars, and are a crowd / customer favorite - the company more than likely won't be hounding you on your 56th place finish. Some bystanders see a mediocre tournament angler and dismiss them simply based on their current standings. Maybe it's not that they aren't good enough to win. Others simply know the lakes picked this year much better. Talk to them. Find out what they know. But don't come across trying to play "stump the chump". Nobody deserves to be talked down to like that, no matter what their profession.

Field staff - If you aren't factory sponsored, the position is usually considered Field Staff. Mostly, these people are sponsored through Rep groups. They may be called (and considered) "Pro Staff" by the Rep group. Don't dismiss them simply because they aren't factory direct. Many have tons of experience and are outstanding anglers, but simply don't have the money (or time) to compete in the larger Professional tournaments. Normally, a discount is offered to them in exchange for some type of contractual agreement - seminar or fishing show appearances, etc... Many times, the Rep group will try to get their "Pro Staff" (Field Staff) personnel to push all or most of the products represented by the Rep group. When I first started out in this business in 1994, this was my "in". I started with a Rep group called Rogers Southeast, and my first "sponsorship" was with Daiwa. I received a discount in exchange for doing a minimum amount of shows per year. The offers from other companies within the Rogers Southeast stable of products started rolling in - Rubbermaid (at the time, they made tackle boxes like Plano does), Luhr Jensen, VMC hooks, and several others that I can't recall at this time. It was at my very first fishing show that I met a very good friend / mentor - Mr. Ron Studer, and he gave me the best advice that I've received in this business. I've had to remind myself of that advice from time to time, but it's the best advice ever. "Don't be a tackle whore". He recommended that I not be overwhelmed with all the offers being thrown at me, and only take sponsorships from companies that I really used their products. I chose only those companies that I really wanted to represent, and to the others, I sent "Thank you" letters to, and returned their offered product. The letters explained that while I greatly appreciated their offer, I did not use their product. I explained why I did not use their product, trying to be as polite and respectful as possible. Most (not all, but most) of those companies actually replied back to me, thanking me for my honesty and input regarding their products. One company even went as far as to modify the item that I did not want to use, and asked if I would mind testing the new product. I agreed, and when it was to my satisfaction, I penned an agreement with them to promote their product.

Field Tester - It's just that. These anglers test product that the companies send to them. They usually are not Professional Anglers (most pro's don't have the time to test to the request of the companies), but some might dabble in it. Again - quite a few of these people really know what they are talking about, but aren't given the time of day because they aren't some big name. Have you ever been given the opportunity to talk to a dedicated Field Tester? There are some that take this job seriously. I field tested lures for Luhr Jensen, back before Rapala bought them out and let the entire staff go. I have been given the opportunity to test many lures that never hit the market, but caught plenty of fish for me. We tested, evaluated, and returned modified lures to the company. Sometimes, we would see "our" modification or color offered in the next years catalog. Do you know how satisfying it is to see "your" color being offered in a catalog? Do you know how it feels to hear someone in a store talking about how hot that new color is? Any idea where that idea came from? Probably not. Because, unfortunately, most "Field Testers" get dismissed by others. They are an important part of the industry that goes largely un-noticed.

Break.

Now, I'll stop here and concede to this - There are many Pro-Staffers, Field Staffers, and Field Testers that aren't worth the space they are taking up. They don't know the product they are selling, don't have a personality to deal with the customer, and don't really want to do anything in exchange for the free and/or low cost tackle they get.

HOWEVER - We aren't all the same. There are many of us still out there that take great pride in our products, and we try to represent them well. Yes, sometimes we get tired in the store too. Do you ever think how we feel when our sponsor puts out one reel or rod model that just doesn't match up to the rest of the lineup, and then we get to receive the blunt end of consumer anger? I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrating it is to have your sponsor change something that you KNOW is going to tick off consumers, and then you have to represent that sponsor at a show the week after the new product comes out. It's like knowing that you're going to get beat up, but still showing up anyway. I almost cringe the minute someone starts in with furled eyebrows and a loud voice. But I know it's coming. I've prepped for it. I work through it, and hopefully I can keep my sponsors customers as loyal consumers of our product with a little bit of coaxing (and some ideas of what to recommend).

Yes, I'm on Pro-Staff for a few companies. I've worked my (you know what) off for the sponsorships I have. I readily show up anytime I'm asked and don't have a work conflict. I have asked to do shows and seminars. Anyone who knows me and has worked with me will probably tell you that I know my product. I study specifications on everything I sell. I actually use the product. If it's new, and I haven't used it yet, I tell the customer that - I don't lie about it to make the sale. If the customer is interested in a competing brand, I steer them to the product, but let them know that it is not the product that I represent. I've seen some tell customers "That's not my brand", and then not help them at all. What does that accomplish besides making that staffer look like a jerk? Nothing. Give the customer what they want, and most of the time they will be appreciative enough of your help that they will ask "Well, tell me about your product". I've sold many items to people that came in looking for the competing brand, simply because I wasn't a jerk about it.

Yes, it's a very long post. But I want people to realize that all Pro-Staff, Field-Staff, and Field Testers aren't all the same. Treat people with the same amount of respect that you would like to receive in return, and many of them will surprise you with their knowledge and assistance. If they are a jerk after you start talking to them, then so be it - put them in the jerk category and move on. But don't think that just because one of them is a jerk that all of them are. I would also ask that you please realize that these people are not the engineers, designers, or officers that make the decisions in their respective companies. We simply provide input and customer assistance in an effort to make excellent products and happy customers. Once that input has been made, it's up to the company to make those decisions. Approach the staffer with your concerns, but do it in a way that they will take your concerns back to their represented company and gets something accomplished. Don't be rude to them and treat them like crap.

Respectfully submitted and requested.

All the best,

Glenn

Wow,...musta been my comment about the Veritas rod site. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers...I've been involved in this game for a VERY LONG time myself and I'm also on a few "pro-staffs" myself. I've seen "pro-staffer's/field staffer's/field testers etc" of all level's come and go over the years for all sorts of reason's....and I've even seen some do some very unscroupulous things. Eventually it catches up with them and they are dealt with. My comment regarding the lowsy service was merely a hypothetical possibility based on experiences I've seen and heard of.......certainly NOT a pre-meditated dig at anybody,..especially those who frequent this site. I apologize if you took it the wrong way....never meant to even question your credibility or integrity...I'm merely saying it happens and we BOTH know that!!

Carry on Samari!;)

Mac

Mac,

I'm not offended in the least bit, and my "feathers" :lol: aren't ruffled at all. For me to take offense to the comments posted would mean that I was actually feeling guilty of doing something like that, which I am not. No need for any apologies to me or anyone else. People are free to post and think anything they want. I simply wanted to give those who were on the outside looking in a perspective on what the big picture was.

I fully agree with your post. It does happen - A LOT more often that I would like to see it happen. I've worked with quite a few of them in the past, both on my team, and that of the competition. The "network" of staffers that were regulars at the show would often talk about them in terms of "how long they would last". Most of the time, they didn't show up for the next show. Hmmmm.... wonder what happened to them? :lol:

I've seen some do very unscrupulous things too. I've heard many bashing their competitions product, right there in front of pro-staffers for that other product. They usually don't last long either. When I do meet up with staff from my companies competition, I do my best to become friends with them. It works out really well when you have competitors working side by side helping the customer to get what they really want.

Sorry - didn't mean for anyone to misunderstand my post.

Carrying on.

All the best,

Glenn

Very good read Glenn. Nice work and I know you are on top of your game for your sponsors.

Keep up the good work!!! (and it IS WORK!)

With that said....Mac and I will be in Mesa, AZ and Las Vegas, NV the first weekend of the 2011 Bass Pro Shops Spring Classic Sale Event. LOOK OUT LEFT COAST! Lol

I wore a Tracker jersey in my Tracker boat and got some flack about it, I coudn"t understand what the big deal was. I really liked all the responses on this post and it has answered alot for me. It was a very good read Glenn

I will not say anything for Glenn's benefit, he knows me, knows my sponsors and knows how hard I work for them all as well. We have done a lot of shows together. "Most" of the time I will just say I am sponsored by a company even if the company calls me "Pro-Staff". It gets confrontational, implies you are better than someone else (in their mind) and it gives them the opportunity to become keyboard commando's and flame away if you even mention it. Funny how we never get challenged at shows, seminars or demonstrations by these guys that think we are posers and wannabe's.

I will say that all of my sponsors could care less if I ever put another fish in the boat and they never did care about tournament finishes. Unless you are fishing the Elites or the FLW tour your "name recognition" outside your club or trail is nil and really doesn't count for much. What my sponsors care most about and the main reason they put me on pro-staff is the fact that I sell product......period.....and I sell it in a way that can be measured. Heck, I am pro-staff for a rep group that carries a ton of products I don't use and only 1 that I do. They pay good $$ for me to do shows and seminars for that product though. Why do I not care about their entire product line? Well, because they carry Culprit plastics, I throw Yamamoto, period. If they don't make it, I don't throw it. It takes that type of commitment to keep sponsors long-term. They carry Quantum....I don't throw them...why?...because I am sponsored by Bass Pro Shops and CastAway and that is where I get my rods and reels. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point. I, as does every "pro-staffer" I know on this site do not throw around sponsor names and represent the highest caliber of professionalism. It took me 4 years to get Yamamoto and just as long to get BPS. My partner in the Guide Service has Pradco (Yum, Booyah and some others), so we operate individually when it comes to sponsorships. Since we have some new members that might need some help or info on some of my sponsors, I'll break my own rule and post them.

Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits

SPRO

Gamakatsu

Bass Pro Shops

GUEST Chargers

CastAway Rods

KeelShield

TOXIC

Glenn,

I wanted to comment on what the actual consumer has visibility of in regards to "Pro Staff". You did a great job of stating what they are suppose to do and the limited compensation they receive. And I agree, treat folks like you want to be treated!

Your detail was very interesting, but a little confusing? I have been fishing tournaments since 1980 in SC. Red Man, Bass Champs, MBAA (when it was just the military), etc... Fished the BASS clubs for 14 years along with the 6 man stuff which I stopped doing in 1994, so I have seen about all the MFG's have thrown at us since Bill Dance retired from competitive fishing.

Rods/Reels are off the table for this as that is a personal preference/performance product that only relates to execution of the fishing task and has very little to do with actually attracting and catching the fish in question. Same goes for the boat and trolling motor. i.e.: You can catch a limit on a Snoopy rod, Zebco 202, Yal-Mart line, out of a Coleman canoe if you have the right color Cr

Mike,

Thanks for the response.

I have a comparison that I like to make. Why would a man with a Masters Degree or Doctorate conferred upon him in the late 70's / early 80's even consider going back to college this year? Answer: Because the job market has changed drastically over the past 30-40 years, and if he wants to stay competitive, he needs to maintain his education. But some will say, "But he has been in the job market, so he knows what is going on around him". Ahhhh... yes. But he may not understand what is going on around him, and his employer or potential employer may know or sense that.

Same goes for fishing. I learned to fish way back then too. I became an "educated" angler through careful study and practice of the techniques that were passed down to me. I went to fishing shows and seminars to gain all the knowledge I could get. But then something happened... I stopped learning anything "new". It seemed that every Professional Angler (and this is not a dig at PA's - it's simply a personal observation) was giving the same seminar, over and over and over again. They were some of my favorites, but I wasn't learning anything new from them. Same with Bassmaster magazine. At first, I was gobbling up the knowledge I gleaned from those pages. After a few years, I kept seeing reruns of the same articles, polished up a bit to reflect the new brand of lures - but the techniques stayed the same. What was I missing in my education? I'll tell you what I (personally) was missing - I was dismissing the advice of many "non-pros" that were readily available to me at all of these fishing shows. Now that is not to say that you have to take all of their advice, but what does it hurt to listen (and maybe test it out)?

To address some of the things you stated above (and I'll preface this by saying that this is just my personal opinion - feel free to disagree if you wish, and my references to "educated" anglers are not a dig at you - I'm being honest here in my observations of many "educated" anglers I've met throughout the years) :) :

Rods and Reels should never be "off the table" in a discussion such as this, but many times an "educated" angler will dismiss the advice of a staffer because they "know better" (or THINK they know better - which I find is the fact in a lot of their cases). I've met so many "educated" anglers who couldn't tell a $30 Shakespeare Synergy from a $200 G-Loomis if I blind-folded them and didn't let them see the rods first. However, if they can see the rods - they will always immediately start bragging on "how much better and how sensitive this rod feels in my hands". Yeah... OK. Lets do my blindfold test and see how much more sensitive that rod feels. I played this game with my buddy, who I consider to be an excellent angler (he taught me most of what I knew about bass fishing in my early stages). Guess what rod he picked? Yeah... he picked the Synergy. He was amazed... and a little ticked after I showed him that. Was the Synergy the same quality (i.e. - would it last as long, have the same quality guides, etc...) as the G-Loomis? Heck no. But it puts an end to most of the "I like this rod because the sensitivity is so much better" conversations. I realize there are some people that can actually tell the difference between them without looking at the rod. I'm not dismissing that. However, quite a few get caught up on name recognition. To them, if it's one of the big names, then it's what they want because it's the best. Search for my explanation on splinning a rod correctly when building it, attaching quality guides in the right place, etc... and you will quickly see (if you actually read the post and test my claims) that most rod companies build sub-par rods these days.

Here is a perfect example of how much "educated" anglers ignore the advice of staffers when it comes to rods. A few years back, I spent a ton of time and money trying to find the "perfect" frog rod. Most companies were putting out modified flipping sticks at the time - MH and H actions with no flex in the tip to speak of. Anglers were losing fish on topwater (hollow body) frogs all the time. In speaking with a top Professional Angler, which will remain anonymous, I was told to look for a good rod with "the action of a MH Ugly Stik". Well, why not just use the Ugly Stik? "Too heavy" was his reply. Well, he was right on both accounts. The action was PERFECT for frog fishing; however, the rod was heavy and would wear you out. But I wanted to increase my hookup ratio, and so I used that heavier 7' MH Ugly Stik rod - model CA-1170-1MH for frogging. My hookup ratio went through the roof. Lost fish? A thing of the past. I seldom ever had one come unbuttoned once I stuck it to them with that Ugly Stik. People asked the question at shows. I told them what I used. How many went out and bought it? Hardly any at all. I heard one "educated" fisherman tell his buddy "That guys an idiot. Who would fish with an Ugly Stik in a tournament?". For him - it was the name. The thought of bringing an Ugly Stik to a tournament was repulsive. That's fine though. I gave sound advice. He chose not to listen to it because he "knew better" than me. But the question remains - Why did he ask my opinion if he already knew the answer to his own question (in his own mind)? Maybe to show off his knowledge to his buddy. Maybe he likes playing "stump the chump". Regardless, it's frustrating to know that you are giving sound advice, based on experience, and the customer is dismissing your advice because they think they know better.

Reels are the same way to me, and should also be discussed, particularly when it comes to frame material and drags. I could go on for hours on this subject, as I'm sure some of the staffers who have done shows with me could attest to. But even with my fishing reel knowledge, some still like to come in and harass us. I had a guy come in for every fishing show for 5 years running that would pick up the Daiwa reels I was promoting, put them to his ear, and rotate the handle. He would then tell me that the "reel was too loud" for his liking. Every year. Without fail. One year Daiwa had come out with a new reel, and when he walked in, I took the reel, put it to my ear, and exclaimed, "Man, you have to hear this to believe it!". He looked like he got ticked off for a few minutes, and then asked me why I would say that. I explained that he did that every year for 5 years in a row, and I wanted to know WHO would cast out and then put their reel to their ear to listen to it while they retrieved. He got a laugh out of it, and finally admitted that he just liked to give the Daiwa guys grief because he has been a Shimano fisherman all his life.

Hooks? I can discuss those at length too. Metal, point structure, sharpening, etc... But to stand there preaching Mustad to a guy that is obviously a Gami fan is an exercise in futility. I give the customer what they want, and if they want to know why I fish with a certain brand of hook, I can discuss that at length with both on-the-water experience and technical savvy.

I've been to tournaments where the winner came in with a Jon boat and Ugly Stiks. I don't dismiss them either. Everyone out there is capable of winning, and everyone out there is capable of losing badly - no matter who they are. However, I find it a lot more comfortable to stand on the deck of a tournament rigged bass boat than to sway back and forth in a Jon boat all day. At my size, I want something that doesn't almost throw me out if I lean forward while sneezing. They also have the advantage of being quieter than a Jon boat, with better storage, etc... Trolling motors? BIG deal in a tournament to me. I want the quietest, most dependable motor I can have up there, and I want power to spare. Yes, I could get by with a lesser motor, and I have in the past. But it limits me to where I fish and how I fish. I'd rather not limit myself, so the trolling motor is considered a vital part of my equipment during a tournament. Ever fish a tournament and have one go completely out on you? Kinda sucks to be stuck with certain techniques, particularly if those aren't panning out. Now if you are fishing thick grassbed and have a push pole, you might be fine. But what if your game plan called for running back and forth on different points? Kinda screwed there.

On your second to last paragraph, I got a bit of a chuckle. Not laughing at you - just laughing at the thought. What makes you think that a Professional Angler actually tells you the exact lure that they are using to win that tournament? Does their personal experience and top 10 tournament finishes that they "claim" to have used that product in sway you in any way? Even if they are telling you the truth about what lure they use, are they sharing HOW they use that lure - in the exact way that they are using it, without leaving any key details out? Hmmm.... Here are my thoughts on that subject - I would listen to Scott Hammer (TOXIC) tell me how to use a Senko before I would listen to any Professional Angler tell me how to use the Senko. Why? Because Tox isn't making a living off of that technique. The PA is. I'm not saying they all leave out details on purpose, but if your sole source of income relied on how you used your secret technique with a certain lure, would you be anxious to share that secret with the world? Staffers who do not rely on tournament checks to pay the bills may be a lot more loose-lipped with their techniques. They may be worth a closer listen.

I don't know Gerald, so I can't comment on him. Seems like a nice guy from what I've seen, but I haven't worked side by side with him to make a determination like that. Hopefully, I'll get that chance one day. I have met and worked with some fantastic anglers who have great personalities and know what they are talking about, and I've met some popular anglers who treat others like crap and don't know what they are promoting.

Moon Pie for a sponsor. Now THAT would be pretty cool!

All the best,

Glenn

I've enjoyed reading all information provided and have found it informative. I know a few pro staffer's casually, but have never talked to them about their products. So being a tournament angler on a budget, who wants to make sure I am going to like what I buy, my go to for information are the guys that I fish with. I won't hesitate to ask to borrow a rod and/or reel from someone I know to give it a try before I buy. Most of us are lure junkies, but again I'll buy knowing what is working on my local waters, but more than likely like many of us I have my favorite/trusted brands and don't stray to far from them.

I think a pro staff serves a purpose for the angler that is uneducated or doesn't want to do the research themselves, but most companies have good websites these days and provide excellent info on there products. That combined with anglers that I already know is my personal way of evaluating and gaining information on products.

HP

Glenn,

Interesting response including the comparisons. I really liked the one with Scott and the Senkos! I didn't really target any Professional Anglers as test subjects or validation of information. I have seen the PA's in action on the Potomac and also on Santee Cooper for years. The bent rod pattern during practice is dominate.:lol: Relaying info from locals in advance is also a contributing factor, so I don't really have that much admiration for the whole PA thing. It's still fun to watch on TV though!

The reason I excluded the items I did is that most of the Pro Staff you do see are representing tackle. A nice boat, decked out electronics, grass chopping trolling motor, smooth reels, and fish fart sensitive rods do make it allot better for most of us. All of these items I select based off research, test data, and what I can gleen from folks that may already have what I am considering and I can get an unbias opinion. I wouldn't go to a Ford dealer and expect them to tell me how crappy their truck is?

Still goes back to my base question:

Why would I accept what a Pro Staff member from any brand has to say about what I would consider either a terminal (hooks) or actual artificial bait product if they have no track record of winning or placing in events in my area. Reputation carries allot more weight in this regard. More that the PA's in my opinion. *I'm not saying they used what they rep to place in events. Unless they are a close friend, you

Still goes back to my base question:

Why would I accept what a Pro Staff member from any brand has to say about what I would consider either a terminal (hooks) or actual artificial bait product if they have no track record of winning or placing in events in my area. Reputation carries allot more weight in this regard. More that the PA's in my opinion. *I'm not saying they used what they rep to place in events. Unless they are a close friend, you

OK

I'm good with that and can relate.

Give me some advanced notice on your trip here and I'll take off a day and carry you out. I manage to catch a few on the river. :lol::lol::lol:

Since this post has gone in this directon, why don't some of you "big hitters" come to SC for a back seat in my boat and teach me something. I would love it.

Mike / Carlos,

Thanks for the offer. If either of you are ever coming to TX, I'll make sure I take you guys to Choke Canyon, Amistad or Falcon if you are interested.

All the best,

Glenn

Been to Choke Canyon a few times. Lot's of shoreline on that place! I sure would like an Amistad trip.

Well, interesting turn of conversation. Jimmy, FYI, I have 78 ways I've come up with to rig a Senko, it might take a couple of days!!:lol::lol: Mac and Mini were telling Judy Wong about what I call "The Wong-Rig" and she got a kick out of it. Last year on St Clair Mac and I showed Kim Stricker (Hook n' Look) the Wong rig and we all laughed at the name. The old "sponsored" vs "uses" debate. If you are sponsored, you automatically are a "Talking Head" that blindly sings the praises of your sponsors and if you are a PA everybody thinks you have a secret stash of baits that you don't tell anyone about. My credibility comes from the fact that I get paid to help OTHER PEOPLE catch fish not for me to collect checks in tournaments. When I take someone out, there is no disputing what I throw and what I have them throw. If it doesn't catch fish then that is a reflection on me and I hear about it at the next show/seminar, on the internet, or whatever. I cannot tell you how many people have thanked me for telling them and showing them how to rig the Senko. Phrases like...."I caught the most fish ever". "I caught the biggest fish ever" yada, yada. It's the tournament guys who I have a hard time convincing that there are ways other than "Their Way". I just love it when a tournament guy brings his wife along on a trip and she whacks them while he struggles. Usually, I just tell him that if he listened the way his wife did, he too would be catching fish. Had a very pretty young lady come up to me during a BPS promotion and tell me there was a big family get together coming up and she wanted to out fish her brothers.......at all cost!! I took her around and completely outfitted her..rod, reel, line, hooks, bait and then I took her out to the lake behind BPS and showed her how to rig and use what she just bought. About 3 months later, Teddy and I were working a show and while I we were standing talking with the NITRO State Team, this same girl came running up and hugged me and proceeded to tell everyone how she whipped her brothers so bad it was embarrassing.

Now here's the deal on Glenn, he is a FREAK!!:lol: :lol: He is the kid that took his parents TV apart on a Saturday afternoon rather than watch cartoons. Funny thing is...he can put it back together. If Glenn doesn't know the answer, he will be the first one to say so, but if he does have an answer you can bet he knows it six ways from Sunday and has researched the issue ad-nausium!! If he gives you an answer to a question, it is the right answer based on what he knows not what he has been told. I knew that the first time I met him. We have done a lot of shows together and we were sitting in his house in VA one night eating Chinese and I mentioned one of my JLM's was acting up. He said lemme see it. He pulls a TV tray out puts a towel on it, grabs his tool kit and as we are having a casual conversation he disassembles my reel to the frame!! I mean every frickin piece. I told him..Dude you better know how to put that thing back together!! He proceeded to clean, oil, lube and reassemble the reel all the while comparing its internal pieces to all of the major reels on the market. I knew at that point he was a resource that I would always value. I won't even go into what he knows on electronics!!:lol: We almost lost him from here but I sweet talked him back and I think everyone can agree he gives top notch advise. His only fault....he is sensitive to critisizm and writes short responses:lol::lol::lol:

TOXIC

Thanks Toxic.... I think. :lol:

His only fault....he is sensitive to critisizm

Yeah... I know. I'm working on it. :cool:

...and writes short responses

K.M.A. (Short enough for ya?) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn those that know you well, know how you represent yourself and your sponsors. Don't worry what a handful of people think. Continue to do what you do, your good at it and it shows. You and Hammer have helped me alot and I appreciate it! There are always and I mean always going to be people that think you don't rate to be sponsored because your not winning everytime out. Those are the one that don't know how much work actually goes into it.

toxic, you never show me how to rig a senko, you a$$-muffin!

Just like a woman wanting everything she doesnt ask for! :)

A$$ Muffin? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wow. :)

Teri,

Before you learn how to rig a Senko, we need to teach you how to tighten down a reel seat properly. :p

All the best,

Glenn

Ok,Glenn, you butt-muffin (dont know you well enough to say the other work)....I can take alot of jabs BUT the reel seat is different on the Veritas. I dont know how to say this technically correct but those reel seats dont have a molded seat to slide the front of the reel into. You set the reel on and then just screw the round top over the reel. It's not molded like the typical reel seat (like all of my other rods). The front of the reel doesn't sit in the screw thingy nice and snug (yes, I said screw thingy!!!) Maybe it is just me but I don't like the design but I like the rod.

That's the same design used on the BPS Carbonlite rods.....I've never had them come loose..but I do check them regularly!!

I have a few Carbon Lite rods and I don't have an issue with those. Maybe I just didnt tightened this one enough. Who knows.

Dang, I go fishing for a few days and miss the good stuff. :lol:

Eloquently put Glenn, and several others. ;):D

Teri,

Don't know me well enough? After purchasing a trolling motor from me, talking to me on the phone, emailing back and forth discussing electronics, and you still don't know me well enough to curse me out properly? :rolleyes: I'm disappointed. :lol:

On the serious side - if you continue having problems with that reel seat and you want it replaced with something more "traditional", I can see about modifying it for you.

All the best,

Glenn

Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits

SPRO

Gamakatsu

Bass Pro Shops

GUEST Chargers

CastAway Rods

KeelShield

Scott, at $5 per sponsor mention on NTOWS, you owe me...where is my calculator...

$13.

Checks accepted. :)

Well you know he's gonna say "it's in the mail!"

great thread, I have to admit I was enjoying the read from Okinawa!

We also have a new NTOWS classic to add to the Toxic is a bad kisser thread...he is also a ass-muffin!! OMG that is funny right there!!!!!

Triton Glenn,

Where can I get the information you spoke of on splinning a rod. Was it on a certain date on this Nitroowner web site? I've been fishing for years but dont know a blame thing about that and never heard of the word splinning, why or how to choose a certain rod etc.

Can you point me in the right direction to learn something about this subject. I dont want to build rods just have some idea about how to choose the correct ones for wormin, crankbaits or working a weightless fluke.

Thanks,

Brantley

Look up boyd duckett micro magic. Posted by Teri C and you can read Glenns process there

Brantley,

I just added a new post this morning on the subject. I had a few requests for it, so I had to go searching for where I had posted it last. Todd is right - it was in the Boyd Ducket micro guide discussion post that Teri put up about a month ago. I didn't want people to have to search into posts for it, so I just cut and pasted it into a new post.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back