Going to fish for Stripers in ARK next week

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, the wife and I are going to NE Arkansas next week to take a nice long weekend break. Most of the time, we are going to just browse and relax, but I've booked a fishing trip with STR Outfitters on Norfork Lake (Mountain Home, AR) for the day on Friday for Stripers!

Been wanting to do this for some time, and they are supposed to be running good. They also have walleye fishing - so maybe we'll get a few of them in the box also!

Tex

Tex, You might as well go ahead and get you a Uhaul and take all yous stuff over there. When you see that lake and how beautiful it is your going to want to stay.Mountain Home is a nice little town also. You MUST and I nean MUST go to Fred's Fish House for dinner.The greatest catfish and I don't even like catfish.And the lake is never busy.I'm really cosidering retiring there.I've been going down there since the early 50's and just love it. Good Luck and tell me what you think.

Rich,

Thanks for the information and update. Actually, that area is precisely where we are thinking of retiring to. Just not quite ready. This is both a vacation, and also a 'closer preview' for retirement purposes.

We will definitely check out Fred's while there. I'll post up appropriate pic's and a report when we get back.

I'd love to also fish for Walleye, but I've learned that listening to the guide is paramount.

Tex

I got real estate flyers a few years back while I was down there. Compaired to here it seemed the land and housing was less expensive than here. What doc are you going out of? 101, Henderson,Panther Bay?? Binks is also a great striper guide service there.

Wow Tex thats a great looking place. And the price is right.And it has a nice shed for boat storage.I don't think you can be right on the water because its a Corp lake. You have to be 30ft above flood stage.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to buy it now (even if I can't be there all the time yet), but I have to wait about 2 years before I can get another mortgage. It's a great looking place.

Tex

You'll love the lake. It is a beautiful lake with some pretty good fishing. The only downfall is the amount of snow that you can get up there. I was there for a Stren a couple years back and the first day was cancelled for snow (about 6") and the morning of the third day I had to scrape 7" of snow off my boat cover just to go fishing! It did make for a very scenic fishing day.

Oh yeah, don't forget to eat the catfish!

Just don't let them catch you calling it NE Arkansas, they might not take too kindly to that. It's north and just about dead in the center. If you ever wanted to try trout fishing, it's spitting distance from the White River and it doesn't get much better than that. People come there from all over the country to go after trout. Some fly there in their private planes and land and stay at Gaston's. I've gone swimming in the White (definitely not on purpose) and all I can say is bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Yeah, that is the other really big draw for us. We did a Orvis Fly Fishing school two years ago and loved it. If all my fishing gear wasn't still stored in the storage unit we are renting, I'd try to dig it out and maybe do a little fly fishing while there.

This trip is for other purposes, and we really don't want to have to do too much prep.

Point taken on the NE vs N!

Tex

Latest posts

Back