Alaska Salmon!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Tex asked for it!!! LOL

Family and I are back from a 2 week vacation, 4 days in Vancouver (didn't get any fishing in but a great place with lots of sights and natural beauty), 7 day cruise to/through Alaska, and 3 days in Anchorage. Anyway, on to the fishing!!

last Friday Eli and I booked a 1/2 day charter from Ketchikan with Knudson Cove Marina outfiters. There were 11 of us from the cruise, they hooked Eli and I up with a great Captain named Charlie, and only 1 other cruise member! It is just prior to the time when the salmon run UP stream (need to go back for that, video looks great!) so we trolled the mouths of major salt water bays that lead to the rivers/creeks. 5 mins in we have already seen eagles and seals, then the first fish hooks up! The other guy and I agreed Eli goes first! We are trolling with down riggers in 100-150 ft of water with the lines down 40-70 ft. We help him get the rod out of the holder and he starts fighting the fish, he did ask that I hold the rod as the fish was pulling him out of the boat!! LOL He plays the fish about 15 mins and gets to the boat, Captain informs us the fish is below the 28 inch limit so he lets it go :-(. Next fish is mine HUGE fish, HUGE fight, 20 mins later jumps near the boat and throws the hook :-( 3rd fish on, our cruise partner lands a nice 15lb King Salmon. 4th fish is ON and Eli plays it expertly and lands a 20+lb King Salmon (I had to hold it for him in the picture. 5th fish is mine a nice 10lb Silver/Coho salmon (no minimum). gets close to the time we are heading back, each time the guide pops the rods to release the baits from the down riggers a Silver hits the baits, but as we were not ready (duh, second time we should have been) we fight the fish and they get off.

Anyway, we have a LOT of salmon now in the freezer, Eli and I both want to go back up someday and try fishing for the spawning run, just gotta watch the bears from what I hear!!!

Great vacation with the family, no work (except 1/2 day early in the trip), and lots of great sights/wildlife! We got to see/pet/feed Caribou, Deer, Moose, Musk Ox and more!

Eli King Salmon for web.jpg

Way to go Trep & Eli!!!

Sammon r good eats!;):D

Didn't look too cold there. What was the air temp this time of year?

Tom - We got lucky, air temps HAD been in the 80's the week before, record highs, for us it was lows in the low 50's highs in the low 70s. When we drove up to the outfitter it was drissling, was not looking forward to 50's and rain, but it cleared as soon as we left the dock, sun came out around 11 and we were down to just our shirts and jeans.

Trep

Nice catch guys.Next time let me know if you have any room in your suitecase.

Latest posts

Back