Getting older! need new winch.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Wright

Reaction score
OK, Im getting older and cant do what I used to do. Looking for a new winch that has no effort to get on trailer. Bass pro 185 90hp if that helps. Any ideas?

That's no help, You sound like me. Cant make up your mind either. Drive it on!? Buy an electric winch? maybe I should refrase my question. What winch has worked for some of you? Bass pro 185 90hp if that helps. Any ideas?

That's no help, You sound like me.
Maybe that's because we have the same name????:huh::blink:

I've never used an electric winch Bill though it was a number of times I did wish I had one but that was when I was fishing with know ramp or anything.

Is there any reason you can't drive it on? I used to fish a couple of places that you couldn't use your gas motor for any reason at all. Is it some kind of deal like that?

Uncle Billy

Getting the trailer just right is the key.

Making sure that at least half of backside bunks are under water and powerload away;)

Only time I have to winch is when the ramps are low like this time of year.

If you rule out the electric winch, then I'm not sure you're going to find many hand crankers that will up the ante on loading power.

Here is what I do with my 750. I back in until the bunks are all wet and then pull out the trailer until about 6-12 inches of the rear bunks are exposed. The boat drives right up to the roller and I use the crank only to tighten up the strap.

As another consideration you could possibly purchase those bunk easy things that you screw on your bunks.

Drive it on. AND get an electric winch. :)

We cant powerload in Michigan at the state owned ramps. Nothing above idle speed at the dock.

I just started fishing a new lake, the ramp is steep, no powerloading and my back just isnt what it used to be. Yes Uncle Billy it is all in the name:lol:

Thanks

NO POWER LOADING it must be a communist plot. Sometimes I'll center the trailer with the engine in idle then get out and crank up the winch with the motor still in gear. Makes for easy cranking.

fatrap

Bill - I don't think a manual winch of any type will necessary help your problem. With a steep ramp, powerloading is an option and just takes practice. A more helpful option that someone else mentioned also includes using those "glyde-sticks" on your bunks. They make the bunks really slippery and you can then hand crank the boat up with a standard winch. If you go that route, be careful to ensure you secure your boat while pulling up. The bunks will be so slick, that you could easily pull your trailer out from under the boat when you least want to! Here's a link:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...01_9260_200004006_200000000_200004000_200-4-6

if you cant powerload and electric is out of the question. buy a manual winch that is designed for large boats with a good gear reduction, it will horse that aluminum boat around and snap it onto the trailer like its not ther with no effort at all.

mike c

I do too.... But the wife won't let me!!!

Am i the only one????

KB

not a communist plot, just inferior ramps. since our water level doesnt fluctuate day to day (only year to year..lol) the ramps are short.

fatrap, thats how I do it. its legal here and if the trailer is backed in the right depth i only have to crank about 2 feet. with the motor in gear and running its pretty easy. even for my lead sled Ranger.

Great pick up Trepper!

Another thought on those Glide Slicks.. DO NOT unhook your bow too early or it will slide off onto the ramp all by itself..

Uncle Billy

Hey Uncle billy - Not to bad after 4 days w/out any caffine! No headache's so far, so we'll see.

Good recommendation on the bow strap!!

Trep

Thanks everyone forthe info. Ordered Glide Slicks today. See what happens next year when the boat comes back out from winter storage.

Another word of caution from someone who has seen many a boat sitting on the ramp behind the trailer. Do Not unhook your bow strap before backing down the ramp. Glidesticks require no water to be slick and it will slide off. Do Not try to pull your rig out without the bowstrap hooked. And finally....Do Not powerload unless you want your boat sticking out of the back of your tow vehicle. Actually you can powerload but be very careful.

This has been a public service announcement....we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

TOXIC

Trep, I do need a new winch.... And the boat to go with it.

But the wife.......

KB

Latest posts

Back