Gel Coat Update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Ok, so I beat feet out to my supply store and pick up some 3m Fiberglass restorer and wax, hoping it would be my salvation. Verdict: Yes and no. Yes, it removed HEAVY oxidation from my gel-coat, no, it did not remove it all. I can blame some of the failure on my buffer, not heavy duty and my pad was pretty used up. Did a little experiment after I did an area with the buffer, I looked and there was still a little haze to the gel so I worked on a 2 foot by 6inch spot by hand and it was noticably better. I am going to get some new pads and try again tonight to see if that was the problem or whether this is going to be a "hand-job" (hold your toungues you gutterminds!!). Rob, if your gel has yellowed all the way through I don't think there is anything that will help. Even putting on another layer of gel wouldn't do anything. I have a spot on the aft that it looks like some water got in a screw hole and the gel as well as flake is discolored. There's nothing you can do about that. But if you want to improve the appearance of your boat, the 3m is good stuff (even @ $18.00 a bottle). I also like the fact that the wax is built in the rubbing compound. I'll post more later. Yeah, instead of fishing, I'll be rubbing.

TOXIC

Toxic- get the new bonnets and keep going. It will get better. Check my response to your questions in my original post. Are you using a high speed sander/buffer or just an orbital polisher? You need the high speed buffer. Also, make sure you use a wool bonnet. Your gelcoat should come out looking brand new like mine did if you do that.

Toxic, could you please be very specofic at which products you are using like product number and steps. I have some oxidation on my NX882 and am trying to get it cleaned off, i tried wet sanding which did the trick and then using the 3m rubbing compound to remove the scratches but what i ended up with was a very slight buffed in haze like the sanding marks were still present in the gel, it shines like mad but still slightly cloudy and being a deep red boat its noticible (to me anyway).

Thanks,

Eric H.

Eric- don't have the bottle in front of me but it is 3M Fiberglass Restorer/ Wax for heavily oxidized gelcoat. They have it at Wally World or BPS or any boat store for around 9 or 10 bux. It's a blend of light rubbing compound, some kind of wax I'm not sure of, and Carnauba wax. Does it all in one or more applications. No steps. Awesome stuff.

Latest posts

Back